Broken union nut

Aaronjumps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I hate my first reef2reef post has to be asking for help because of a stupid mistake I made but such is life.

Tonight I was cleaning my bio-pellet Reactor and over tightened the union nut causing it to partially split. I did a quick check and it will not hold water reliably.

I have some "fixes" running through my mind, none of which I am super excited about, so I am hoping that someone can tell me how they were able to overcome this.

I don't have a lot of room one the material to work with and a quick search shows that Reef Dynamics is no longer in business so a direct replacement isn't an option.

So I have thought about:

- PVC glue seems like the most obvious answer but I am worried that I will not be able to get glue into the tiny little parts of the crack on the ends (even with the syringe and Red Sea titration tip that I am willing to sacrifice)

- Use heat to try to remove the union fitting on the pump outlet. YouTube shows other people removing PVC fittings with fire and torches. You know ... what could possible go wrong!

- Rebuilding the entire assembly but the Eheim 1100 is no longer made ... oh, and I am not exactly a master plumber and the tolerances would be pretty tight.

Has anyone split a union nut and lived to tell the tale? If so I am very anxious to hear what you did!

IMG_1813.JPG

IMG_1812.JPG

OP
OP
Aaronjumps

Aaronjumps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite my idiot move with the vice grips I am actually a bit proud of my temporary work around.

IMG_1811.JPG

image.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back