Bromide negative effect on Cyanobacteria

Juan Andrés Botero R

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently made a bromide addition to my aquarium and noticed that the appearance of cyanobacteria that I had in some places in the tank disappeared. Another hobbyist added bromide to his tank and also observed the same effect.

1 - Does anyone know the effect of bromide on cyanobacteria?

2 - Can the appearance of cyanobacteria be due to a deficiency of bromide in the tank?

"Bromine is an often underestimated element, but for corals it is extremely important. Stony corals use bromine for the synthesis of colouring chromoproteins, and they need it to form their skeletal structure. Zooxanthellae use it for the production of enzymes that are irreplaceable in photosynthesis." - https://www.faunamarin.de/en/knowledge-base/bromine/

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is unlikely that bromide at natural levels causes an inhibition of cyano, but it is possible that other organisms such as algae convert it into organics that the cyano responds negatively. Some organisms are known to make anti herbivore compounds that contain bromine.

That said, I’ve never seen this effect reported before so I’m most likely thinking it is coincidence.

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bromide is an oxidizer similar to peroxide. Its cousin bromine is used as an alternative to chlorine in spas. Bromide much like hydrogen peroxide will kill cyano if it comes into contact with it. Just be careful dosing it as you could cause a PH swing with rapid shifts in O2 and CO2 balance.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently made a bromide addition to my aquarium and noticed that the appearance of cyanobacteria that I had in some places in the tank disappeared. Another hobbyist added bromide to his tank and also observed the same effect.

1 - Does anyone know the effect of bromide on cyanobacteria?

2 - Can the appearance of cyanobacteria be due to a deficiency of bromide in the tank?

"Bromine is an often underestimated element, but for corals it is extremely important. Stony corals use bromine for the synthesis of colouring chromoproteins, and they need it to form their skeletal structure. Zooxanthellae use it for the production of enzymes that are irreplaceable in photosynthesis." - https://www.faunamarin.de/en/knowledge-base/bromine/
How much did you add?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.9 ppm x 3 days = 2.7 ppm
Thank you.

I did not think bromide could directly influence cyanobacteria growth and now that I know such small amounts for so short a time were used, I am even more convinced. All the same, the coincidence is interesting. I wonder if anyone else had a similar experienc?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bromide is an oxidizer similar to peroxide. Its cousin bromine is used as an alternative to chlorine in spas. Bromide much like hydrogen peroxide will kill cyano if it comes into contact with it. Just be careful dosing it as you could cause a PH swing with rapid shifts in O2 and CO2 balance.

no, bromide is definitely not an oxidizer. It can be oxidized to other forms that are oxidizers.

Dosing it has no effect on O2 or pH.

OP
OP
Juan Andrés Botero R

Juan Andrés Botero R

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.9 ppm x 3 days = 2.7 ppm
I continue dosing until Cyano was gone 0.9 ppm x 7 days = 6.3 ppm. The reference natural level of bromide is 60–70 mg/l, so my replenishment was about 10 % of that reference, so I feel safe and happy without the cyano.

Happy coincidence!!

1648816190773.png

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back