0   0   0
8cff718fc63b4ac02529fbbcfdcc57e7.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like velvet to me. Are they displaying any of these behaviors with it?
Velvet (Amyloodinium):

Symptoms - Because velvet can be such a fast killer, key behavioral symptoms will often prelude visible ones. A fish with velvet may breathe heavy, seek relief by swimming into the flow of a powerhead and act reclusive (velvet makes them sensitive to light).

If visible symptoms do manifest; velvet appears the same as ich, except the fish will usually be covered in “dust.” This dust may look gold colored if viewed at the right angle and under the right spectrum of light. Velvet is often misdiagnosed as ich and is the main “tank killer” in our hobby. It can wipe out all your fish in less than 72 hours and cannot usually be “managed” as ich sometimes is.

Treatment options - Chloroquine phosphate is the treatment of choice for velvet, but copper also works if symptoms are caught early on. Tank transfer and hypo does notwork with velvet. A freshwater dip or formalin bath is recommended before treatment begins, due to the severity of this disease; however these would only provide temporary relief and will not eradicate velvet.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is quick, but just from the pictures its hard to tell. thats why i asked about behavioral symptoms. That makes a big difference. Both are bad no doubt

OP
OP
M

mvm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the clowns died a few mornings ago, but they had the symptoms for over a week. I tried formalin dips with malachite green. They never really got better. It came in on a blue spot jaw fish. I lost another blue spot I had for over a year as well as:
Swissgard basslet
Potters angel
Onyx percs

The only survivor was a mystery wrasse that never seemed to show any symptoms. I have the display fallow and am getting some CP to use as a prophylactic in QT. 76 days fallow for the display?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would have needed several baths in the formalin to help if it was brook.

the wrasse surviving makes sense because of their thick slime coats, mucus balls they sleep in or sleeping in the sand. it helps them survive longer without showing much wear.

If it's velvet then 6 weeks is the fallow time for that. 76 days is usually for ick or if your unsure what all you might have running around in there.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is in fact brooklynella i dont think a fallow period would eradicate it.

I'm not 100% sure on that one. I haven't read anything about running fallow after brook, but then again I'm not very well versed on it. I dont see brook all that often thankfully. That's a question for the big guns @Humblefish @3FordFamily

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that's the case, that's terrible news. Surely it has to be eradicated at some point, right?

My immediate thought is that it's gone with the fish, but my gut says you need a fallow period. I really think we should wait and see what the Doc says. He'll know for sure... I tagged him so he should be by whenever he opens his laptop.

OP
OP
M

mvm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I'm doing the 76 days at a minimum. I was just responding to the post that said a fallow period may not work.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fallow period for both brook & velvet is 6 weeks: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fallow-periods.190324/

But going fallow for 76 days should take care of all disease problems. Unless there is a as-of-yet undiscovered strain of ich where theronts can last longer than 72 days before being released from their tomonts. :eek:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look so sinilar but by virtue of the fact that they are clownfish I lean towards brook.

Nnavarro1982

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it came on a jawfish it's prob velvet actually. Brook normally only comes on wild caught clowns.

Nnavarro1982

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way both diseases are why I now no longer will buy wild caught fish!!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your thought. Brook or velvet?

Most likely brook. Clownfish don't usually show visible physical symptoms of velvet due to their incredibly thick mucous coat. Following a velvet wipe out, clowns are usually the only fish left standing. But they are somehow a lot more vulnerable to brook. :confused:

Either way both diseases are why I now no longer will buy wild caught fish!!

A LFS I advise has gotten brook from ORA clownfish. :eek:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back