Brooklynella Question

birddawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I recently had an outbreak of Brooklynella in my fish tank which killed my 2 Clownfish , 1 Fairy Wrasse , and 1 Firefish. I have been doing some research and I know it says to go fish less for 6 weeks. That’s what I plan on doing, but is it possible for the parasite to die quicker than that? Just a thought I had. Please let me know what you guys think!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey everyone, I recently had an outbreak of Brooklynella in my fish tank which killed my 2 Clownfish , 1 Fairy Wrasse , and 1 Firefish. I have been doing some research and I know it says to go fish less for 6 weeks. That’s what I plan on doing, but is it possible for the parasite to die quicker than that? Just a thought I had. Please let me know what you guys think!
Brooklynella is a parasite that has a direct life cycle in which it needs a fish to reproduce and survive. Without a host fish , it dies making it easier to both treat and end its cycle. It can die as soon as 4 weeks but recommended is up to 6 weeks. With ich, Raising temperature can speed the process but not with Brook. You can add Ruby Rally reef to display to assure their life cycle is interrupted and accelerate the process to kill them but Fallow will accomplish the same

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are you sure it was Brooklynella?

Really, 45 days at 81 degrees is the fastest time that works. 60 days is safer.

Jay

OP
OP
B

birddawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it was Brooklynella?

Really, 45 days at 81 degrees is the fastest time that works. 60 days is safer.

Jay
It’s been close to 4 weeks and I’ve ran the tank at 81.5 since. Just wondering how long I should go without fish! Thank you

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been close to 4 weeks and I’ve ran the tank at 81.5 since. Just wondering how long I should go without fish! Thank you
I would go with Jay's recommendation of being on the safe side. Little longer wait is worth the satisfaction on having ich in your aquarium. I have not seen ich on my fish in 8 years, and it's glorious. I waited 76 days.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 72 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back