OP
OP
A

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t download the video. Difficult breathing is definitely concerning. It’s good you tested ammonia and its zero as new QT systems may not have adequate denitrification. If it is brooklynella you still have options. A formalin/ malachite green dip can knock down the immediate bioload of the pathogen but then will need to continue treating the tank ( I am assuming you don’t have another sterile QT tank.) understanding the microbiology helps as there is a lot of treatment options on the market. Velvet, ich, uronema are protozoan infections . Not all antibiotics are effective. Using human medicine as a comparison: chloroquine was developed to treat malaria (a protozoan infection) it is therefore logical to presume that its effective against brooklynella (most references say it is). Metronidazole (aka flagyl) is an antibacterial but is also effective against trichomonas infections in people (a protozoan infection) so it might be effective against velvet. I personally like chloroquine. You can dose the tank directly (be very precise in your measurements) or use impregnated reef caviar. The later is tough to find but the direct dosing form is likely available at a good local fish store
I could be wrong, however I believe the clown likely doesn’t have brook. My main concern is the elevated breathing and stringy feces. Before I use multiple medications and potentially stress him out further, I need to get him to eat.

carbasaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll defer to you as you have eyes on and I only have a few pics and no video. Agree that he needs to get eating. As said before, hopefully the frozen gets to you soon

OP
OP
A

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - the video wouldn't play for me. Rapid breathing can be a sign of gill infections, water quality issues or low dissolved oxygen. You can add an air stone to rule out the latter. The ammonia test will rule that out, and then that leaves gill infection of some sort.

Jay
For the Gill infection, I’ve been at therapeutic copper for 1 day, and have also administered Prazi and general cure. I also raised my filter about two inches higher to break the surface movement. Ammonia checks out at safe levels. Should I give it some time?

OP
OP
A

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll defer to you as you have eyes on and I only have a few pics and no video. Agree that he needs to get eating. As said before, hopefully the frozen gets to you soon
Yea. I’m confused as to why the video isn’t working. Maybe I’m uploading them wrong. I’ll try from my laptop.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see the video on my PC, for what that's worth.

It might be worth a quick trip to a fish store to get some frozen food. They may even have live brine, which almost always works.

OP
OP
A

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see the video on my PC, for what that's worth.

It might be worth a quick trip to a fish store to get some frozen food. They may even have live brine, which almost always works.
Alr. I’ll try to go tmrw.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just attached a video of the fish’s breathing pattern. It definetly looks unhealthy to me. Do you have an idea of what this could indicate?
I could see the video on my home computer tonight. Breathing is only slightly elevated. Did you test for ammonia?

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the Gill infection, I’ve been at therapeutic copper for 1 day, and have also administered Prazi and general cure. I also raised my filter about two inches higher to break the surface movement. Ammonia checks out at safe levels. Should I give it some time?
Oh - copper takes a minimum of 72 hours to work, so yes, you need to stay the course on that.

jay

OP
OP
A

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh - copper takes a minimum of 72 hours to work, so yes, you need to stay the course on that.

jay
I reduced copper levels by .25 in haste, however this is still above therapeutic, so I will continue to raise it tomorrow.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I do not see rapid breathing and typical respirations for a clown and a clown that does not looked stress. The only thing noticeable is as indicated by @Jay Hemdal is what looks like mucus, not even lympho or anything. In fact a fairly clean looking clown. Too many clown owners are mislead on diet.
Maintain good water quality and diet. Some foods are :
LRS fish frenzy
hikari marine cuisine
spirulina brine shrimp
mysis shrimp
small plankton

Add selcon vitamins to the foods at least 2x per week and on alternating days . . garlic extract for stamina and immunity health.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
A

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not see rapid breathing and typical respirations for a clown and a clown that does not looked stress. The only thing noticeable is as indicated by @Jay Hemdal is what looks like mucus, not even lympho or anything. In fact a fairly clean looking clown. Too many clown owners are mislead on diet.
Maintain good water quality and diet. Some foods are :
LRS fish frenzy
hikari marine cuisine
spirulina brine shrimp
mysis shrimp
small plankton

Add selcon vitamins to the foods at least 2x per week and on alternating days . . garlic extract for stamina and immunity health.
My problem is with internal parasites. It has white string feces, and rejects food. I lost the same battle with another clown. I have ordered two other food varieties, and will continue from there.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Salifert and seachem ammonia alert
Ammonia alert . . . (please dont take it harsh) . . . . rendered useless . It is intended also for freshwater and deemed low reliabilty as is API test kits. You may have higher ammonia than indicated. I would grab a water sample and get a second opinion

OP
OP
A

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia alert . . . (please dont take it harsh) . . . . rendered useless . It is intended also for freshwater and deemed low reliabilty as is API test kits. You may have higher ammonia than indicated. I would grab a water sample and get a second opinion
Yes, I have also tested with salifert, and it is undetectable.

OP
OP
A

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: definetly not brook or velvet. The little guy is way more active now, and is eating medicated food, although not more than 1.5 pellets per day. He is also very responsive to particles on the water and his breathing seems perfectly normal now. I’ll continue with copper and food and see how it goes. Thanks to everyone responding.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back