Brown jelly disease?

be_ninja_pancake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worried my hammer coral has brown jelly disease. Its left polyp hasn’t opened in a few days. Does it have brown jelly? And if so, how do I cure it?
1E05F80B-4A93-4F59-82B9-2800E00D2F56.jpeg

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 brown jelly
I would frag and toss infected head. I’ve tried all methods of dips treatment and once infected to the point of showing retracted/brown flesh the heads are gone. However if you want to frag it and try to treat the infected head, do so in a seperate tank otherwise high risk of infecting other LPS. I would also do a quick dip of the healthy head in hydrogen peroxide, cipro or chemiclean!

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, judging by the location of the split, you may need to frag with a bandsaw (or a small toothed serrated kitchen knife) to prevent damage to the other head.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been extremely successful with peroxide making sure to rinse all the brown jelly from the coral using a pipette. I usually follow with a 4-12 hour antibiotic dip but have been successful with only peroxide before. I dip for about a 30 seconds while swooshing coral and blowing water at the infection with the pipette. While removing coral it is important to do your best to prevent the brown jelly from leaving your infected coral and landing on another. This would most definitely cause another infection. reef dip does nothing for me

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Worried my hammer coral has brown jelly disease. Its left polyp hasn’t opened in a few days. Does it have brown jelly? And if so, how do I cure it?
1E05F80B-4A93-4F59-82B9-2800E00D2F56.jpeg
Before dipping (and my preferred is Peroxide also) - Siphon up the gel mass with a 3/8" tubing so you dont spread the substance

OP
OP
be_ninja_pancake

be_ninja_pancake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been extremely successful with peroxide making sure to rinse all the brown jelly from the coral using a pipette. I usually follow with a 4-12 hour antibiotic dip but have been successful with only peroxide before. I dip for about a 30 seconds while swooshing coral and blowing water at the infection with the pipette. While removing coral it is important to do your best to prevent the brown jelly from leaving your infected coral and landing on another. This would most definitely cause another infection. reef dip does nothing for me
Basically what we did was took off and disposed of the infected polyp with a hacksaw, then soaked the healthy polyp in seachem’s reef dip for 30 minutes (as well as my hobgoblin coral that was close to the hammer coral just to make sure) and we cleaned the tank of any excess brown jelly. We then dipped both corals in a 50/50 hydrogen peroxide and tank water solution for 1-2 minutes, which got rid of any excess brown jelly, and then we put them both back in the tank. We’ll monitor them for the next few days to make sure they’re doing alright

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically what we did was took off and disposed of the infected polyp with a hacksaw, then soaked the healthy polyp in seachem’s reef dip for 30 minutes (as well as my hobgoblin coral that was close to the hammer coral just to make sure) and we cleaned the tank of any excess brown jelly. We then dipped both corals in a 50/50 hydrogen peroxide and tank water solution for 1-2 minutes, which got rid of any excess brown jelly, and then we put them both back in the tank. We’ll monitor them for the next few days to make sure they’re doing alright
Well done. Good luck on treatment. And please keep us posted on results!

OP
OP
be_ninja_pancake

be_ninja_pancake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well done. Good luck on treatment. And please keep us posted on results!
Definitely! Here’s some pics from today, the surviving polyp looks stressed but is recovering alright considering all we put it through yesterday.
6E995C8D-AC92-4EA1-9A3C-99E64851774B.jpeg
9454D992-242D-4AAA-A0F9-9488DC212176.jpeg

Daniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks promising, great job on the quick action. Surviving head looks to be doing good enough to pull through.

Any thoughts as to how the other head might have gotten it? Any damage or stress as the root cause?

OP
OP
be_ninja_pancake

be_ninja_pancake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks promising, great job on the quick action. Surviving head looks to be doing good enough to pull through.

Any thoughts as to how the other head might have gotten it? Any damage or stress as the root cause?
No idea, the frag was just chilling for a month after I got it from WWC, then a few days ago I noticed the left polyp not opening up all of a sudden, then the brown jelly showed up yesterday :( I'm not sure if I could've done anything differently, but I'm glad to know I did the right thing while treating it!

LunaReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea, the frag was just chilling for a month after I got it from WWC, then a few days ago I noticed the left polyp not opening up all of a sudden, then the brown jelly showed up yesterday :( I'm not sure if I could've done anything differently, but I'm glad to know I did the right thing while treating it!
I hate to say it but I found the same thing on a GORGEOUS rainbow hammer that I got from them in store and 2 Stylos that I purchased online. I haven't fragged them yet but have treated with Peroxide. Hope it works. Keep us updated :smiling-face:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BJD is caused by a serious problem in the tank environment typically with parameters being off. This puts stress on the corals and lowers their immune systems and BJD moves in. Usually euphyllia will show BJD first but other corals can be affected too. You need to identify the source of the problem in your tank stressing the corals. With a newly purchased coral though just the shipping stress or the change in tank environment might cause it also but I would definitely check your numbers to be certain. I have successfully treated my tank with ciprofloaxin previously for BJD.

AumedAbuTalib

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help please is this a brown jelly for anything else? today after feeding i saw this

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had same problem with 12 headed one. fragged off where needed then dipped them all and placed all back in the tank. The strongest ones survived the rest went into the rubble...

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 90 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back