Brown Sediment (Settled Detrius?)

jenkinscrew2578

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't run the rowa, you don't have a Phosphate issue and may cause more issues running it for sure. Let the cuc do its job, if they aren't getting it done, get some more [emoji16]

Oh and then...be patient [emoji6]

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it, I will keep an eye on how things go!
Hope the ceriths can help out, and may consider hermits again.

I will stick to feeding frozen foods and not use the pellets / oyster feast for a bit (as Im sure that will also help my detritus / pinapple sponge issues), and see how things go!

Will also hold off Rowa for now.

Cheers

Jdurm55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
order from reefcleaners.com for your clean up crew. they have great packages for some good prices. i just ordered from there and i loved it. they give you like 4 different types of snails.

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
order from reefcleaners.com for your clean up crew. they have great packages for some good prices. i just ordered from there and i loved it. they give you like 4 different types of snails.
Thanks! Never knew of this site. Crazy prices & free shipping! :O

Jdurm55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Never knew of this site. Crazy prices & free shipping! :O

order a little smaller than the tank package you ened becuase they give you extras of the smaller snails. they ship quick and almost everyone arived alive besides maybe 2 but they give you some extras to make up!

ChuzUThisDay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
order a little smaller than the tank package you ened becuase they give you extras of the smaller snails. they ship quick and almost everyone arived alive besides maybe 2 but they give you some extras to make up!

Thinking of ordering from them myself. How do the snails show up - in bags of water, cups, how? I'm concerned because I work all day and my wife will likely be home when they arrive. I need to prepare her for how to get them in the tank without adding the water they come in.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of ordering from them myself. How do the snails show up - in bags of water, cups, how? I'm concerned because I work all day and my wife will likely be home when they arrive. I need to prepare her for how to get them in the tank without adding the water they come in.
They come in bags generally. They will be ok till you get home for a few hours
Just put the box in a cool place.

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll update tomorrow with a pic w/ the DSLR. Looks way diff than the pix taken w/ the phone. Much more 'sludge' like (but not slimmy, and no bubbles)
A local actually introduced me to DR Tims Waste Away, and the description on the bottle matches exactly what I think I have.

I turned off UV, and removed the skimmer cup, and did a <50% dose (20ml for 55gal tank, ~45-50g water volume, instead of the 10ml/10gallon actual dose)
If there's no harm, then in 1x week I'll do a full doseage.

People usually express great results within 2-3 weeks. I'll give this product some time & see what happens! Hope to expose my rock layer again, so coraline can be invited to set home =)

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add some more flow. ever since I tripled the amount of flow in my tank and lot of problems disappeared and I went from high nitrates and I'm talking over 100ppm to now I basically have to overfeed so my corals don't starve. good flow keeps detritus and whatever else in suspension to be mechanically removed. I have 10 hermits and 5 turbo snails in a 150 gallon and I'm good. half my hermits are huge and almost 10 years old

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add some more flow. ever since I tripled the amount of flow in my tank and lot of problems disappeared and I went from high nitrates and I'm talking over 100ppm to now I basically have to overfeed so my corals don't starve. good flow keeps detritus and whatever else in suspension to be mechanically removed. I have 10 hermits and 5 turbo snails in a 150 gallon and I'm good. half my hermits are huge and almost 10 years old
Very nice, thakns for the info! I had 2x E-Flux in the tank, but every since tossing in a Jaebo Wp-25 in on one side, it showed me just how low flow the current UsA ones are.

Might have to switch them out for another Jaebo.

----------------------

Super late on uploading these, but this is what it looks like closer. Very brown (lighting is a bit blueish atm)
6RIhIH4VFNEepWGdJyPPKrYLfIZ3g.jpg

6RIhIPFSI0aegv6xGlLEpiTHBN9tN.jpg

(You can see some algae build up on this coral here. Was a victim of STN, chopped it about 2x months ago, hoping it'll recover. The bleached out coral on the left is also a rescue piece, but this one has good PE.

Hopefully the 2nd' pic gives a good example of this build up.

I've done 3x 1/2 doses of DR Tim's Waste away day after day last week, and didn't see any cloudiness or signs of a bacteria bloom working.
It also didn't hurt anything, so I can't discredit it just yet.

I have a big bottle on the way, and will do a full dose in a few days

------------------

Lastly what's interesting, is I've seen coraline growing ON TOP of this brown algae. I wouldn't have expected it to grow on top, but at least that's reassuring that my tank hopefully won't be brown forever :x

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to have good flow or your acros will slowly perish. Remember most of these coral get bashed with waves stronger than anything we can duplicate I'm our aquariums

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to have good flow or your acros will slowly perish. Remember most of these coral get bashed with waves stronger than anything we can duplicate I'm our aquariums
Ya I hear you...
I have 2x of these 660GPH on wave @ 100% on the same side (right side, on top corner, one opposite bottom corner)
http://current-usa.com/pumps/eflux-wave-pumps/

and 1x of these on opposite glass, top corner pointed @ an angle
https://www.amazon.com/Jebao-WP-25-Maker-Controller-Aquarium/dp/B00FSALYMU
2100GPH - low setting though

(ill post pics sometime soon!)

The Current USA's can't even compete w/ the 1x jebao.

Oh, and I have 2x HOB filters, 1 @ 350gph, the other at 250.
Then my submersible UV also provides some extra flow. Pretty powerful thing

Considering swapping the 2x e-flux for another Jebaeo, but haven't decided yet. Dont want TOOOO much flow

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forget if it was asked, do you know your par?
Or Lux ?

What brand black boxes ?
Settings and total time?

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forget if it was asked, do you know your par?
Or Lux ?

What brand black boxes ?
Settings and total time?
No to LUX

Euphoticas 165W - w/ 50% of the optics removed on each (for spread).
I mainly removed 'duplicates' of each color, so some have 120degrees, others 90
6RTinrokCQrBOHW739SOjkC6pfDLv.jpg

1x 36" t5 ATI coral+ which is on for 6x hours

This is the euphotica sch
https://www.amazon.com/Programmable-LED-Aquarium-Light-Fixture/dp/B00ECHISKQ

6RSRoOOHAFIMAtQQo8Dn4d02ba7aL.jpg

The following picture was taken way before using these lights - but it's my picture template. I just fill in the #s when I changed lights months ago
6RTirbRGLSkZguvnbTMkHFD9JLv72.jpg

Par is in the 280's range on that top acro rock, since as you can see on my lighting sch, im @ 54B/27W

--------------
Just did a 10% WC. Used a baster and TONNNNNNNNNNS of those sponges I have (if you recall from a previous thread) went into the colum, when before they held on tight.
I think eliminating oyster feast to only 1-2x a week is helping them die off haha

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No to LUX

Euphoticas 165W - w/ 50% of the optics removed on each (for spread).
I mainly removed 'duplicates' of each color, so some have 120degrees, others 90
6RTinrokCQrBOHW739SOjkC6pfDLv.jpg

1x 36" t5 ATI coral+ which is on for 6x hours

This is the euphotica sch
https://www.amazon.com/Programmable-LED-Aquarium-Light-Fixture/dp/B00ECHISKQ

6RSRoOOHAFIMAtQQo8Dn4d02ba7aL.jpg

The following picture was taken way before using these lights - but it's my picture template. I just fill in the #s when I changed lights months ago
6RTirbRGLSkZguvnbTMkHFD9JLv72.jpg

Par is in the 280's range on that top acro rock, since as you can see on my lighting sch, im @ 54B/27W

--------------
Just did a 10% WC. Used a baster and TONNNNNNNNNNS of those sponges I have (if you recall from a previous thread) went into the colum, when before they held on tight.
I think eliminating oyster feast to only 1-2x a week is helping them die off haha
And your auto dosing ? and doing a LOT of WC's.
The lack of corraline can be due to higer pars or alk instability. But it should still be in a lot of spots in the tank like up high in the corners.
Do you have that?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back