Browning corals causes?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys think causes browning sps?

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think a change in water nutrients not to there liking

mostly a drop.
A lot of my sps browned out recently. Been dosing nopox and my nutrients got down zero.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rapid changes in any number of parameters or continually high phosphates could lead to what you’re describing especially in A young tank.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So browning is an increase in zoox? The coral must be regulating its zoox for nutrient and light availability. But why?

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rapid changes in nutrients will do it. A nitrate spike will do it, although most acropora will just RTN for spite.

Getting frags from a tank with 0 nitrate and low phosphate and putting them in a tank with much higher nutrients will do it.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Higher nutrients do not cause “brown” acros in my experience. Higher nutrients have caused darker/deeper colors but not “brown”. If your corals are turning brown and “dried up” with thin tissue than you they are stressed from something. Starvation from a lack of input versus export or irritation from pests or a contamination is most likely to be the issue

Or your lighting is off.

tippin.turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been my limited/brief experience as a new acro keeper that some coral frags turn brown upon introduction to my system while other coral frags out of that same system did not.
So it may very well be species sensitivity varies among certain coral when experiencing a rapid change in parameters.
Have recently switched to Acro Power ammino acids and have noticed a transition out of the 'brown" phase after my first dose.
This coral was completely brown but is beginning the transition back to coloring up beginning at the base.
IMG_1224.JPG

Last edited:

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It use to happen to me all the time last year, never occurred to me to check and keep phosphates to where they should be..phosphates high and swings was my issue. Once I got phosphates under control my corals took off and no more browning

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back