BRS 6 or 7 stage, Silicates anyone?

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Tried searching for this info but came up short. I know that most RODI systems fail to remove all of the silicates and chloramines even at 0 TDS readings... But was curious with the BRS 6 and 7 stage options if anyone out there has had them tested... Especially curious if they are removing all of the silicates or if I will still have to purchase another resin bed that will in fact grab them all...

My water source will definitely be loaded with both chloramines and silicates... hence the concern... Not entirely sure that the 7 stage will any better than the 6 in this regard either... Any options welcome!

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless these are stupidly high, why would you want to remove the silicates? Randy's recommendation was to dose enough silicates to maintain 2-4ppm, which in his case was a demand of 1ppm per week.

If your evaporation is similar to mine (2 gallons per day in 65 gallon tank), you would need a silicate concentration after RO and DI in excess of 5ppm for them to potentially be a problem instead of a free benefit.

Chloramines are easily handles by the universal carbon blocks.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a aquafx unit which starts with a 1 micron sediment, then two clorimine blasters , then it goes to two membranes, then to one silicate removal cartridge, then to two DI units . And since the addition of the silicate and the clorimine blasters my tank looks way much healthier . I haven’t tested it since before the additions but it was the best thing I could have done as far as how my coral responded . . I probably should have sent it out for a test but it’s been years and if ain’t broke buy more coral lol!!! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Last edited:

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do a hybrid 7 stage BRS/Spectrapure. I use the GE sediment filter, two uni carbon blocks (dow membranes) and Spectrapure DI's (Megamaxcap, Super Silicabuster & Enduro). I live in Los Angeles and water here is pretty harsh. With the BRS 3 stage DI, I would burn through the resins fairly quickly, but now I only have to replace the silicabuster & enduro when depleted. The megamaxcap is still going strong. For many, this would be overkill, but where I live, it's necessary in order to produce nice, clean water. The problem with silicates, is your RO water would add even more if not filtered out, especially if you do routine water changes.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Silicabuster is fancy marketing for "we added some anion resin with the mixed resin and gave it a fancy name."

BRS 7 stage with the triple DI resin is plenty for 98% of us in the hobby.

You need 2 carbon blocks for chloramines and at least 1 anion resin chamber for silicates.

IIRC my tap water has something like 300ppm silica and after my 7 stage unit, it's at 0. I'd have to pull up my ICP results to double check my tap water. I send in tap instead of RO water every 3-4 tests to see if my source water is changing.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicabuster is fancy marketing for "we added some anion resin with the mixed resin and gave it a fancy name."

BRS 7 stage with the triple DI resin is plenty for 98% of us in the hobby.

Maybe its a fancy word for that, why do you say that? Is that your opinion?

I use brs resin and the spectrapure s.i buster

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: If silicabuster is basically anion, does it make more sense to put it before the mixed bed?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually looking it up spectrapure's resins are all proprietary blends of resins. So they are different than any other resins in a sense. They actually boast pretty hard about their water purification process, to me they seem legitimate in their claims.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my ICP results back and the only thing showing high was silicon. Set point is 0 - 200 µg/l and it's at 232. My RODI setup has the sediment filter, two 1 micron carbon blocks, two membranes and 3 canisters of BRS mixed resin. If I change one of the cartridges to anion resin will that help reduce whatever is getting through? My ATO reservoir is 4g and I refill it about every 3 days.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back