BRS 75 gpd filter, not producing?

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello all,

question for the pros!

I have a 75 GPD RO 5 stage filter from BRS. When I first got the unit I hooked it all up and found out I needed the booster pump. So I ordered that. Installed it! I was at 55 psi on the RO unit and life was great. Until the pressure started to drop. When it would do so I would make the needed adjustment on top of the booster pump, until it finally died. I got in touch with BRS and they directed me to Aquatec. Aquatec requested I send them the pump for them to look at for warranty purposes which again ,I did. I went 3 weeks of having to go to Walmart to get water to fill the water station to keep the tank full. During those 3 weeks I replaced the sediment filter as I did some research and what I had found was that the sediment filter could start to cause this issue. Well it has been less then a week since I got my pump back from Aquatec. When I plugged it in I was getting a pressure of 38. So reluctantly I gave the little screw a bump and got it to 42. I measured the output at 2.5 gallons an hour when it should be making 3 point something, but I did not want to mess with that screw very much. My problem is the pressure is back down to 38. Is the booster pump or the ro unit the problem? I have ran a total of maybe 600 gallons of water thru this setup. TDS is reading 0. I dont want to start throwing new filters in it unless this points to one specifically, as I dont think they are bad, just yet.

Please HELP!!

Mike

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Mike. 2.5 gallons an hour is pretty good. You only get 75gpd with certain temperatures and pressures, so I wouldn't worry about that. There is one color-changing cartridge on the right of the unit that changes from blue to brown once it is used up that you can use to gauge when to change the filters.

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same booster pump and have been running it on a Brs 150gpd unit and I have never had to turn that screw. When I very first hooked it up it was at 80psi. Now when my sediment filter starts to get clogged I can see the psi start to drop. I am thinking it’s your sediment filter getting clogged super fast. What is the psi coming out of your source water? I think the booster pump need a minimum of 35-40 psi to run.

OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My pressure from the source is 60 psi. I just changed the sediment filter to a 5 micron while my pump was away getting serviced. The DI is still not brown yet either, so I really dont think think that particular filter is bad. The membrane I guess could be the culprit, it may have some manufacture error in it. I may try changing that and just keep my eye on the pressure to see what happens.

thanks for the replys!

Mike

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your pressure dip seems extreme and fast. I have a similar system. Without booster I run 60 psi and with the booster I run 92 psi. I will run over 90 for 6-8 months. Once I drop to 88 psi I change filters and then back to 92+ psi. I make 70+ gallons per week on my system. i updated my system from75 to 150 by adding another membrane and my psi and volume before changing filters didn’t really change once I upgraded.

one thing to check, make sure your flush valve is closed when making water or you won’t get much volume or pressure:)

tricky_tran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a lot of sediment coming from the source? I would run a sediment filter before the booster so that doesn’t get clogged.

OP
OP
am3gross

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your pressure dip seems extreme and fast. I have a similar system. Without booster I run 60 psi and with the booster I run 92 psi. I will run over 90 for 6-8 months. Once I drop to 88 psi I change filters and then back to 92+ psi. I make 70+ gallons per week on my system. i updated my system from75 to 150 by adding another membrane and my psi and volume before changing filters didn’t really change once I upgraded.

one thing to check, make sure your flush valve is closed when making water or you won’t get much volume or pressure:)

I checked my pressure from the source with a gage, if I leave the booster off my pressure on the RO unit is barely reading anything at all. I may try a complete filter change just to rule that out being the issue.
Do you have a lot of sediment coming from the source? I would run a sediment filter before the booster so that doesn’t get clogged.

I don't think I do have a lot of sediment, I know my first sediment filter was pretty brown, it was a 3 micron, so I changed it to the 5 micron. Now I know that is going to cause my carbon filter to work harder. I am going to look into the pre booster sediment filter just to see what that is all about. I have never heard of doing anything like that.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back