BRS and Neptune Merger

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I the only one who thinks BRS customer service is just average? To be fair, I was comparing it to Amazon.
You think amazon customer service is good? Sure they'll send out a replacement if it's broken, but will they take time to explain to you why you're eating up DI resin or how to use any of their millions of products?

I once ordered some Neonitro from amazon... they lost it twice, like it never made it out of the warehouse... sure they gave me a $10 voucher, but I still ended up ordering from BRS and it got to me sooner. And yes, this was a prime order.

Amazon has an amazing system that works 99.9% of the time, but that one time it doesn't, don't expect to get anyone to help that can actually help.

Amazon doesn't really care if you reef tank is in danger, their CEO is too busy almost becoming an astronaut... BRS might.

/step off soapbox

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything Neptune sells besides their controller is crap. Maybe this will change that?

Although I really hope Coralvue steps up and takes advantage of the dislike many of us have of BRS. They're not the only game in town. Even though it takes an extra day I buy all my supplies now from saltwateraquarium.com

JeffB418

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally like most Neptune products and am nervous about this acquisition.
Yeah I still use some Neptune products and long term I worry where this is going to take Neptune. If you look at past Bertram investments, they invest and build then sell off to a larger company. Not sure where they are headed with BRS, towards Petco? PetSmart? Etc? But I assume this is the plan. But I don’t see that type of sale being good for Neptune in the long run, esp users who are tied to their Fusion servers. But short term this will give Neptune a bump but the long game I can’t clearly see.

A lot of Ryan’s visions too for Neptune seem out of touch. Unless you strip down their architecture and start from scratch, making any major software improvements on top of their current architecture isn’t easy. You can already see that from the issues Neptune had releasing the last 2 minor updates this year. Both required immediate fixes within the week since a handful of users saw bugs that they missed in alpha/beta testing.

Rscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except it’s not a monopoly…
Ever here if a little company called Microsoft that nearly got shut down in the late 90’s early 2000’s for being considered a monopoly? When there only crime was not having any competition? Yea trust me it happens. Cost my dad his entire retirement having been a 35 year employee of Microsoft

Liquidss1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When is Neptune going to embrace Alexa or Google? That's would make neptune so much better. Or even BRS getting an app not just a webpage.

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever here if a little company called Microsoft that nearly got shut down in the late 90’s early 2000’s for being considered a monopoly? When there only crime was not having any competition? Yea trust me it happens. Cost my dad his entire retirement having been a 35 year employee of Microsoft
I don’t understand. Why did your Dad loose his retirement? They split Microsoft into smaller companies no?

thom_smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have an alternative controller that has the same functionality? ( I ask because I may be in the market one day soon)

If you're considerimg a controller there is no disputing Neptune Apex is the dominant player today. But if you've waited this long, it may be worth holding out a little longer. Will be interesting to see how all this shakes out. Others have expressed the same sentiment in this thread. I have to imagine Coralvue Hydros, eKoral and ProfLux have been fielding calls from best of breed manufacturers like AI, Ecotech, Kessil, Red Sea, Reef Octo just to name a few not pleased by this announcent and looking at partnership opportunities of their own. The Coralvue Hydros, eKoral/ProfLux rebuttal could get interesting. Who knows, there could also be mutany among other Neptune retail partners.

Me personally, I have embraced Alkatronic and Dosetronic for testing and dosing Triton method. Just ordered my Mastertronic and second Dosetronic the other day. Both have strong gloud integrations to Hydros. The upcoming introduction of 8-port power bars will have me thinking hard about Hydros. Especially if I have another mysterious head or energy bar failure and poor suppirt experience. The allure of controlling my lighting, roller fleece, skimmer, etc based upon measured nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, ph readings is interesting.

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ryan said last year that he was disappointed in a product and said he contacted many major companies and told them to make it for any amount of money, but it wasn't possible. BRS has been making a ton of money for a long time. Ryan has had big ambitions for a long time. At no point did Ryan ever say he wanted the business to stay small. Good on him for starting a business good and profitable enough to get a big influx of cash from big fish to make big things happen. People get so mad at BRS, but there's no good reason for it. All of the same people who hate on BRS are also the ones buying things from them every time they have a huge giveaway. I don't buy exclusively from them, but they often get my business and will continue to do so.

wareagle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would Ryan do this? There products are not good and there customer service is even worse. I will never buy another Neptune product as long as live.
People are spending $800.00+ to light 2x2 spaces, and they're spending it on inferior products. You can slap your name on anything and sell it these days. The SKY is a much cheaper, in materials, light than the Phillips Coral Care that was actually created by a lighting engineer for a company that will have first dibs on diodes. That means better chromaticity consistency and stability(glass diffuser) than everyone else and the warranty reflects the quality of the product. You'd be a fool not to get in on that type of customer base.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 92 52.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back