OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like a strategic error based on the desire to get bigger or address a financial objective rather than on the strategic need or benefit of combination. The majority of the synergy appears to be in the R&D, which doesn't appear to be a valid enough reason for 2 very different businesses to merge. It's more likely this will backfire. Competitors to Neptune (makers of controllers, pumps, lights, powerheads, dosers, etc.) won't want to sell through BRS, because selling through BRS strengthens Neptune. And competitors to BRS won't want to carry Neptune, because doing so strengthens BRS. Kind of how Pepsi lost out on sales to other fast food chains by merging with Pizza Hut. On top of all that, they've now destroyed part of the BRS brand strength by casting doubt on their perceived objectiveness in product testing and rating. Yes, both Neptune and BRS are dominant right now and likely won't see short term losses, but more competition is coming, and they just made it easier for their competitors to grab market share in the long run. It's a shame, because I like what both companies have had to offer up to this point as separate businesses.

This remains to be seen. As long BRS Customer Service stays good, they will have customers.

If those makers don't sell on BRS, they will be missing out on a big chunk of market.
This Saltwater hobby is already small enough (compared to other hobbies), I don't think those makers can afford to take their product out from BRS.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6. As others have mentioned, one of BRS's unquantifiable assets was it's supposed unbiased product videos. Obviously any opinions expressed involving Neptune products or those that compete with them will be suspect.
What's curious is that BRS just started carrying GHL Profilux and Coral Vue Hydros this year. Hydros somewhat understandable as it just came out, but Profilux has been a proven reliable controller for many years.

Will be interesting to see if those products remain on BRS.

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a fan of this merge, BRS will lose objectivity to review Neptune products.

BRS competitors will try to stay from Neptune, Neptune competitors will try to stay away from BRS. It doesn’t looks like the right move to me.

Also it brings me concerns about pricing as BRS + Marine Depot + Neptune will have a significant cloud over the industry kn North America. Usually this means higher prices for consumers. Personally I will move my business to Saltwateraquarium.com

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My money is on them buying tropic marin next. I really liked marine depot over Brs but it's hard to be mad at someone creating a successful business and trying to grow it as big as they can.
Tropic Marin is a German company. German companies are not as easily bought as US companies...

Ldc3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys know this isn’t the first time a company has their own brand or company that makes a product that competes with similar products The sell. Amazon has Ring and sells Wyze and a bunch of other security products from other companies. For years Sears has sold its Kenmore line right along with Whirlpool and GE. It’s nothing new.

Metcho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can say is at the end of the day BRS is a company. Company’s buy and merge with other companies all the time. So to me it doesn’t matter it only matters to the stockholders and people who own BRS. At the end of the day BRS only had to remember their brand means quality and no matter how big the get remember how small they once were and how they got to where they are today. All of the saltwater reefers out there who buy from them. They have great customer service and I hope that they keep true to that.
Congratulations on the merge.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have shifted where my money goes:

BRS - glue, gfo, rodi stuff, carbon
Saltwateraquarium - salt, trident reagents, ICP, selcon, nori.
Aquarium specialty- Kz products
LA - frozen foods

For any bigger purchases I'll flip a coin lol.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am not a fan of this merge, BRS will lose objectivity to review Neptune products.

They did that along time ago when they placed the big Neptune sign behind them.
They did that when they would not sell the Hydros because it new and they only sell products that are proven but put every Neptune product up for presale. Only sold the Hydros after the Reefbuilders article and back lash.

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can say is at the end of the day BRS is a company. Company’s buy and merge with other companies all the time. So to me it doesn’t matter it only matters to the stockholders and people who own BRS. At the end of the day BRS only had to remember their brand means quality and no matter how big the get remember how small they once were and how they got to where they are today. All of the saltwater reefers out there who buy from them. They have great customer service and I hope that they keep true to that.
Congratulations on the merge.

Well said

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kind of hate this.

I understand why from a business standpoint, but long term I think we will see consumers getting hurt by this. BRS could end up being the EXCLUSIVE retailer of Apex products going forward and no could stop them. :/

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m happy for them. I’ve absorbed so much free content from BRS that’s given me knowledge to take care of my tank and generally entertained me. They deserve continued success, and im optimistic they’ll still continue to put out useful content.

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would Ryan do this? There products are not good and there customer service is even worse. I will never buy another Neptune product as long as live.
Well... You clearly haven't watch BRS youtube lately... Or watched the announcement.
Ryan loves his Apex

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would Ryan do this? There products are not good and there customer service is even worse. I will never buy another Neptune product as long as live.
Do you have an alternative controller that has the same functionality? ( I ask because I may be in the market one day soon)

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.7%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 97 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back