BRS and Neptune Merger

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is pretty fascinating news. Ryan did hint at what kind of influence a business like MarineDepot + BRS could have on product manufacturers. Applying pressure for gear customers want, etc.

With solid competition in the mix now (Hydros, etc) and this news - were in for a ride now.

I’m excited. We know how these things typically work, but there is a lot of potential benefit for consumers in the hobby.

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My initial reaction is, awesome! BRS now has a manufacturer to do more R&D to products Ryan and Randy have discussed in their live streams. Who doesn’t want to see a Neptune protein skimmer with built CO2 scrubbing abilities and DC controlled? In my eyes I hope to see more innovation in the industry.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This shouldn't surprise anyone. Here's a screen shot directly from the BRS section of Bertram's website:
1627346518282.png

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what your questions were.

Personally not a huge fan of the merger because now they'll be favoring one specific brand of products. Yes, they had BRS brand but this is a whole suite of tech and components. Wow.
They already favor certain brands, including Neptune. Not saying that's bad or otherwise.

Teyhas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed all Orphek gear was of clearance earlier today. Hmmm, wonder why?

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My initial reaction is, awesome! BRS now has a manufacturer to do more R&D to products Ryan and Randy have discussed in their live streams. Who doesn’t want to see a Neptune protein skimmer with built CO2 scrubbing abilities and DC controlled? In my eyes I hope to see more innovation in the industry.
Meanwhile the actual purpose of these innovations, coral and fish, continue to close down and become limited. Pretty soon you will have 20k worth of gear to take care of few mutated captive clownfish .

Kind of like car racing, come out with faster and faster cars meanwhile tracks are closing due to increased regulation

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
BRS= The microsoft of the reefing industry. Maybe I should be working for these guys.

Who would ever think this industry would come down to mergers and acquisitions !!

Cjeippert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be cool if trident could monitor nitrates as well. The hanna ulr nitrate is a pain… very accurate and easy to read though

Cjeippert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The neptune metal halide. Apex can control the growth rate by slapping a probe on your homewrecker acropora. Apex will spray reef roods on your coral when they feel hungry

chinw76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my business experience which involved a lot of buyout/ mergers I have found that:
1. These don't happen because they fell in love with each other. Either Neptune ownership wanted a cash out or (more likely) they were in trouble financially so were an attractive merger target.
2. They often do not work out for everyone in that there was a reason Neptune wanted (needed) to do this and larger often comes with an attitude.
3. Companies like Bertram are not patient in wanting an ROI.
4. With MAP pricing so prevalent with most major brands, will BRS keep it for Neptune products and does it make sense to acquire them unless they don't?
5. Often customers will shift business to vendors like SW.com or Premium.
6. As others have mentioned, one of BRS's unquantifiable assets was it's supposed unbiased product videos. Obviously any opinions expressed involving Neptune products or those that compete with them will be suspect.
7. Whatever they tell you the customer centric reasons are for this are just not true. There is only one reason.......more profit and ROI for Bertram. It's just like when a company comes out with a new employee benefits plan. They tell you that it is better for the employees when in actuality it is always about cutting expenses and moving more money to the bottom line.
I agree with you 100%. I shifted my business to Saltwater Aquarium.com. I don't want to give all my money to a predatory investment bank.

Terrp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like a strategic error based on the desire to get bigger or address a financial objective rather than on the strategic need or benefit of combination. The majority of the synergy appears to be in the R&D, which doesn't appear to be a valid enough reason for 2 very different businesses to merge. It's more likely this will backfire. Competitors to Neptune (makers of controllers, pumps, lights, powerheads, dosers, etc.) won't want to sell through BRS, because selling through BRS strengthens Neptune. And competitors to BRS won't want to carry Neptune, because doing so strengthens BRS. Kind of how Pepsi lost out on sales to other fast food chains by merging with Pizza Hut. On top of all that, they've now destroyed part of the BRS brand strength by casting doubt on their perceived objectiveness in product testing and rating. Yes, both Neptune and BRS are dominant right now and likely won't see short term losses, but more competition is coming, and they just made it easier for their competitors to grab market share in the long run. It's a shame, because I like what both companies have had to offer up to this point as separate businesses.

Roosterjack

Struttin’ and Cluckin’
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I support the market determining the course of things. Consumers can speak with their wallets. Love BRS and am all-in (more or less) on Neptune. I hope this ends up making the development of additional or improved products.

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe BRS can teach Neptune some basic lessons in customer care. I have never dealt with a worse group of people when trying to get tech help with the Apex.

Constant passing the buck.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back