BRS citric acid

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Stoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm almost out of citric acid and wanted to try the BRS brand, but noticed a pretty big difference in price compared to generic amazon brands. I've been using milliard which is $27 for 10 pounds, but BRS sells 6 pounds for $44. Just curious what the difference is, I don't see too many details on either product. Maybe the BRS acid is pharmaceutical grade? Thanks for any clarification.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's pharmaceutical grade, they haven't advertised it as far as I've seen. WIthout further documentation, I'm inclined to believe they are the same citric acid.

OP
OP
Stoney

Stoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it's pharmaceutical grade, they haven't advertised it as far as I've seen. WIthout further documentation, I'm inclined to believe they are the same citric acid.

Yea I haven't seen it anywhere either. Maybe they just forgot to include it in the description, I know it's a relatively new product. Curious what they have to say about it.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This exact issue came up about a month ago. It's possible it's an oversight, but it's also possible that it's just the same product. Shipping six pounds of anything for most companies besides amazon is pretty expensive, so that could start to explain the cost differential.

OP
OP
Stoney

Stoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Right I saw that thread, I don't believe they ever commented though. I'm sure shipping could explain part of it, but they're selling 7 pounds of soda ash, calcium chloride, etc for $24. If it really costs $17 more to ship 4 pounds less, I don't see how they'd be making money with their other additives. I was thinking it had to be either purity or maybe some other additive that makes it more effective. Either way, I appreciate the input.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadn't thought about the cost of the soda ash and other additives- you're absolutely right and I can't really explain it. I'm also not quite sure what benefit pharm grade citric acid would provide for most reefers given the intended use is to clean aquarium equipment.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right I saw that thread, I don't believe they ever commented though. I'm sure shipping could explain part of it, but they're selling 7 pounds of soda ash, calcium chloride, etc for $24. If it really costs $17 more to ship 4 pounds less, I don't see how they'd be making money with their other additives. I was thinking it had to be either purity or maybe some other additive that makes it more effective. Either way, I appreciate the input.
nah they are just making a huge markup because reefers will buy from them with orders for convenience

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I used to buy the container from brs but doesn't last that long. I started just buying those 5 gallon buckets from candy shops makes life easier. Cost about 100 bucks, will last you forever

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to chime in here. The BRS citric acid is very similar to other citric acid products out there on the market. More than anything, we offer this as a convenience item. The retail cost is just like any other product or business. What we can buy it for + cost of the shelf space + shipping cost + some profit. When it comes to cleaning aquarium gear, there are a ton of different cleaning products available with off the shelf vinegar likely being one of the least expensive options.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to chime in here. The BRS citric acid is very similar to other citric acid products out there on the market. More than anything, we offer this as a convenience item. The retail cost is just like any other product or business. What we can buy it for + cost of the shelf space + shipping cost + some profit. When it comes to cleaning aquarium gear, there are a ton of different cleaning products available with off the shelf vinegar likely being one of the least expensive options.

I appreciate the honesty here! Refreshing to see a business acknowledge that they need to recover their expenses and actually make a profit :).

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of the appeal, markup aside, is knowing these products are vetted for use in reefs. You have to be a bit careful buying products off the shelf of your local supermarket or Walmart unless you know what you are looking for.

Back