Status
Not open for further replies.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Prices have gone up in everything. With the vast majority of prices being MAP, retailers don't set pricing anyway. The vendor dictates pricing.

I'm not west coast but am in Utah and have all my stuff from BRS in 3 days or less. It costs $2 to get 3 day shipping. Worth it every time

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen prices going up everywhere personally. Having said that i find that i usually find better prices at saltwateraquarium or premiumaquatics compared to BRS when there is a difference. Especially on equipment the manufacturer often basically sets the retail prices and it is most likely to be the same everywhere.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is going up everywhere. Get used to it, it's only going to get worse. You can thank your government for rapidly increasing inflation.

I find it funny how everyone rags on BRS now. They simply purchased a failing company, and added to their portfolio of aquarium related products. Now everyone is saying how they are becoming the next amazon/walmart of aquarium supplies. Weren't they always to begin with? A one stop place for all reefing gear.

But put up another walmart, or amazon warehouse in these same peoples neighborhood, and their giddy like a little school girl.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prices have gone up in everything. With the vast majority of prices being MAP, retailers don't set pricing anyway. The vendor dictates pricing.

I'm not west coast but am in Utah and have all my stuff from BRS in 3 days or less. It costs $2 to get 3 day shipping. Worth it every time
What is the option for 3 day shipping?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yet no one has an issue with going to walmart, home depot, lowes, sams club, bj's, amazon, etc, etc, instead of their mom and pop stores of old. Ever wondered what happened to your local grocery store, or local hardware store?

All of those "big box" stores are exactly what BRS is becoming to reefing. It's the new economy, and new way of doing consumer business. Buy everything you need in one place.

OP
OP
jeff williams

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well I understand but if you look at map products on other sites their cheaper by west coast I mean western United States I live in Idaho and I select the upgraded shipping every time and it’s minimum 5-7 days maybe it’s a logistics thing in Idaho cus all ups and FedEx have to run through Utahs distribution centers

OP
OP
jeff williams

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen prices going up everywhere personally. Having said that i find that i usually find better prices at saltwateraquarium or premiumaquatics compared to BRS when there is a difference. Especially on equipment the manufacturer often basically sets the retail prices and it is most likely to be the same everywhere.
Exactly that’s what I’m talking about map products being priced differently

Sesty22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in CA and shipping is always a around $3 or less for 3 day flat rate shipping. BRS prices are usually right around my LFS or anywhere else I check online.

If I need it quicker, I always check Amazon.

OP
OP
jeff williams

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now try to order though saltwateraquarium as often as possible. Sincerely worried about BRS becoming the Amazon of reefing. The purchase of Neptune was particularly alarming.
I agree I think there is a reason this is happening and I believe it’s to raise the profits

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed trident regent 6 month went from 99 to 104.95 on brs. Didn’t check other stores to compair but that’s 5 $ increase in past 1-2 month

OP
OP
jeff williams

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is going up everywhere. Get used to it, it's only going to get worse. You can thank your government for rapidly increasing inflation.

I find it funny how everyone rags on BRS now. They simply purchased a failing company, and added to their portfolio of aquarium related products. Now everyone is saying how they are becoming the next amazon/walmart of aquarium supplies. Weren't they always to begin with? A one stop place for all reefing gear.

But put up another walmart, or amazon warehouse in these same peoples neighborhood, and their giddy like a little school girl.
It’s the pricing that’s the problem they have started eliminating the competition and prices are going up. How come map products at other online reef shops are lower than BRS

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The $2 upgraded shipping. I don't recall the exact terms they use. It is the option right under the free shipping. It is 3 day UPS and I send it to my work. Always quick
Maybe you get a better rate because their shipping point is close to you? My cost is $5.99 to Nashville.

Hanna Checkers are up 10% to $54.95 since the beginning of the year at Saltwater and BRS.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prices going up on everything, due to inflation/shipping/supply issues, is part of the increase.

The other part is BRS now has bigger market share and can now increase prices and carry less stuff. They have eliminated Drs Foster and Smith and Marine Depot. Now they don't carry everything that those sites used to carry, and prices are higher. They bought Ecotech, and now MP40s are 399 instead of 366.50.

OP
OP
jeff williams

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yet no one has an issue with going to walmart, home depot, lowes, sams club, bj's, amazon, etc, etc, instead of their mom and pop stores of old. Ever wondered what happened to your local grocery store, or local hardware store?

All of those "big box" stores are exactly what BRS is becoming to reefing. It's the new economy, and new way of doing consumer business. Buy everything you need in one place.
I would rather support the local LFS but I agree the local LFS just don’t care everything you need BRS has its good points but look at what’s happening first DR smith and foster/ live aquaria/petco. Now BRS/marine depot. I’m sticking with saltwater aquarium.com

OP
OP
jeff williams

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prices going up on everything, due to inflation/shipping/supply issues, is part of the increase.

The other part is BRS now has bigger market share and can now increase prices and carry less stuff. They have eliminated Drs Foster and Smith and Marine Depot. Now they don't carry everything that those sites used to carry, and prices are higher. They bought Ecotech, and now MP40s are 399 instead of 366.50.
Exactly and who sets the map pricing on some of those items “BRS”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 82 77.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back