Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I understand but if you look at map products on other sites their cheaper by west coast I mean western United States I live in Idaho and I select the upgraded shipping every time and it’s minimum 5-7 days maybe it’s a logistics thing in Idaho cus all ups and FedEx have to run through Utahs distribution centers
Where in Idaho? I currently live in the Boise area, and lived in Moscow when I was younger (lived in Grangeville for a while when I was really young, and as an adult also lived in OR, CA, WA, Mexico and the Netherlands, but am now back in Idaho). Just don’t see a lot of Idaho reefers here.

When I get stuff overnighted through FedEx, it goes through Billings, FedEx Ground usually goes through SLC.

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prices have gone up in everything. With the vast majority of prices being MAP, retailers don't set pricing anyway. The vendor dictates pricing.

I'm not west coast but am in Utah and have all my stuff from BRS in 3 days or less. It costs $2 to get 3 day shipping. Worth it every time
That is a point, shipping on our ecom products at work is roughly $10 to ship a small package. Thats with 2 weeks delivery time.

imagine the costs to brs for shipping large boxes in 2-3 days. Ill bet alot of the hikes are due to logistical chain problems vs them “monopolizing”

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just noticed trident regent 6 month went from 99 to 104.95 on brs. Didn’t check other stores to compair but that’s 5 $ increase in past 1-2 month
Neptune recently raised prices on almost all of their products across the board. I just bought a 6 month from premium aquatics and it was $104.95.

DopamineKata

Beltalowda
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone noticed since BRS acquired marine depot their prices have been going up? Can’t blame inflation saltwateraquarium.com prices have been stable. And they cannot service the west coast customers very well

I keep hearing people say stuff like this but I've found them to be 20% cheaper for the things I've been shopping for and they have a wider selection.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Interesting exchanges here.

On the one hand, some are concerned about price increases they see coming from BRS. No specific products were mentioned. So that makes it hard to assess specific examples. As others have noted, many product prices are fixed by the manufacturers.

Another concern is that BRS will become the Amazon of the online retail space. This doesn't seem like a proper comparison.

Aside from the recent price-fixing Amazon has engaged in one of their programs (and that they are now retiring), how has Amazon been bad for consumers? It has been bad for online and local retailers, for sure. But Amazon has brought choice and, on the whole, much better pricing and availability. Amazon is even using its purchasing power and network to lower prices at Whole Foods.

So, if BRS becomes the Amazon of the aquarium hobby online retailers that should be a good thing. BRS raising prices outside of supply/demand chain issues stands in stark contrast to what we've seen with Amazon.

For me, the solution is simple: shop around.

If I need something [now], I look at Amazon.
If I need something that can wait, I check out LFS and then BRS.
If I need something that cannot wait and BRS is the best supplier, then I rack up a huge shopping list and pay for the fastest shipping. I do this for livestock I buy online, too.
If I can find the product elsewhere and I don't mind using another retailer, I shop elsewhere.

I generally plan my purchases in this hobby and keep regular stock of things "just in case." Convenience doesn't factor into my decisions as much. Neither does price if shipping offsets any product savings.

We ultimately have a choice. They may not be great if time, location, etc, aren't on your side. But we still have them.

Personally, I quite love BRS. Their support has been quite amazing, their variety of products extensive enough for my needs, and their community outreach and educational commercials are invaluable. I own my relatively stress-free entry into this hobby to them. Of course, I have to see how year two goes!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Political posts and references to them have been removed. We don’t want to shut this thread down but we’re not going to baby sit. Thanks.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I understand but if you look at map products on other sites their cheaper by west coast I mean western United States I live in Idaho and I select the upgraded shipping every time and it’s minimum 5-7 days maybe it’s a logistics thing in Idaho cus all ups and FedEx have to run through Utahs distribution centers
If you have to get FedEx and it goes through North Salt Lake, forget about it. Worst distribution center out there. It takes 5-7 days for me to ship in state with them. Thankfully, BRS doesn't use FedEx AFAIK.

It’s the pricing that’s the problem they have started eliminating the competition and prices are going up. How come map products at other online reef shops are lower than BRS

If other shops aren't selling at the new MAP, they will soon lose their account.

Prices going up on everything, due to inflation/shipping/supply issues, is part of the increase.

The other part is BRS now has bigger market share and can now increase prices and carry less stuff. They have eliminated Drs Foster and Smith and Marine Depot. Now they don't carry everything that those sites used to carry, and prices are higher. They bought Ecotech, and now MP40s are 399 instead of 366.50.

What did BRS have to go with Drs Foster and Smith??? They were owned by Petco and Petco dumped them. BRS wasn't involved in any of that.

MP40 pricing was going up long before Bertram bought Ecotech.

Exactly and who sets the map pricing on some of those items “BRS”

BRS can only set MAP on their own items. They don't set them for Red Sea, ATI, Ecotech, Neptune, Reef Octopus, Hydros, etc etc

Neptune and Ecotech are still separate entities and not tied directly to BRS. They are just under the same umbrella. If Bertram decides to raise prices at Ecotech or Neptune that also brings more profit to SWA, Premium Aquatics, and everyone else selling the product.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed trident regent 6 month went from 99 to 104.95 on brs. Didn’t check other stores to compair but that’s 5 $ increase in past 1-2 month

Apex Trident Reagent Kit (6 Month Supply) - Neptune Systems​

★★★★★ (28 Reviews)

$104.95
or 4 interest-free payments of $27 with Affirm. Learn more

Not just BRS. Above is saltwateraquarium.com

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the inflationary period we seem to be in today, I believe it is wise to shop around for virtually everything. I have found BRS to be competitive on some merchandise, an not on others. Likewise for other vendors. Same holds true for on-line fish purchases. While it's more time consuming than having a trusted low-price vendor, shopping can save money.

dphan2007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone noticed since BRS acquired marine depot their prices have been going up? Can’t blame inflation saltwateraquarium.com prices have been stable. And they cannot service the west coast customers very well
I feel like this isn’t fair to say. They have a full staff and they are competing with aftermarket brands that’s also killing their business. Please remember they are the only company that’s doing a lot Of their own research. Redsea wont share what’s behind scenes or any other company. For me. They are worth every dollar and I’m proud of what they are doing!

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The issue is there is no true competition in certain areas of reefing. Besides the top 3 companies and they set the prices.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have jumped up most of Neptune products across the board and other vendors pricing as well.

As soon as they had the hold of Neptune, the intro Apex controller went up almost $100.00

Sending my online business to AquaCave, Premium AQ and or Saltwateraquarium.com

SWA.com has better customer service and I get the orders to my door faster.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have temporarily locked the thread because a number of members refuse to listen. Political and masked vulgarity are strictly not permitted. We will consider re-opening a little later.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As another comment, I am not a big BRS patron (maybe a couple of times ever). Thus, I am impartial to this. I've struggled to find any real criticism of BRS. I fail to see how an increase in prices is BRS' fault. Everything is more expensive over the past couple of years for a multitude of reasons but just inflation alone covers most of the changes I've seen documented specifically. There is no need to bring political narratives, even if you feel they're applicable. The bottom line is the cost of doing business is higher across the board and inflation is higher, thus price increases are inevitable to cover the increased cost. A business which does not make a profit ceases to exist. I wouldn't work for free, and suspect none of you would either as your sole income.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 51 73.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back