BRS Reactor algae reactor

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (DIY)' started by lion king, Aug 8, 2017.

1. NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman Cave Dweller R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Very cool. Thanks for this thread. I am considering the same thing. I am very interested that you ran this under the aquarium as I intend to do. That is my chief concern as someone who never used a reactor before. Would a pump be able to send the water up 1 foot, down 4 feet to the reactor, get a proper tumble/flow for chaeto and then return the water up 4 feet to the display? Have you have any issues with pressure, or is it working fine? Any pressure stress anywhere through the canister or tubing? Still using the same pump? Thanks!

2. Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory Well-Known Member

My reactor did not work on my system, so I ended up putting in a refugium with an H380. Much less fuss

3. NY_Caveman

What did not work? Pressure? Nutrient removal? Other?

4. Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory Well-Known Member

Everything, Chaeto didn't really grow, the LED's overheated the canister by a lot, pieces of chaeto got shot back into the tank (used plastic screen), the reactor was a pain to load/unload getting water everywhere etc. I wouldn't go back to a reactor since the normal refugium works so well. I ended up drilling my Biocube to put in a sump/refugium instead of messing with the DIY reactor

It has seemed to work well for some others however

NY_Caveman likes this.
  5. lion king

lion king Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

There is no tumble in the reactor, the point of tumble is to get light to all sides, in the reactor with the lights wrapped around, there's no issue.
    Too much flow can actually be more detrimental; I'm using a cobalt mj1200(262gph) on 2 reactors, one on a bc29 going from back chamber #2 to the 1st shelf underneath and back, on the other it's perpendicular to a sump and I dial it back by about 1/3. I use a cheap aquatop 192gph pump for another going up 4 feet. There is no pressure, it's only flow, so no stress. A cobalt aquatics mj1200 is a very versatile pump that would fit this application perfectly. If you use the murlock ball valves you can even dial it back if necessary, and it makes maintenance a breeze.

NY_Caveman likes this.
  6. NY_Caveman

Awesome! Thanks for the response.

Draft saved Draft deleted