BRS Soda Ash Precipitation

mich2599

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason why when I add BRS soda ash to increase Alk it precipitates so rapidly? My Mg is at least 1350 and Ca around 460. I’ll have to retest parameters this afternoon. But nevertheless this has been going on since I first bought the 2 part pharma. I add a little bit at a time right above my power head but yet the majority still manages to precipitate. I also have some Brightwell Reef code B and that does not
precipitate. Any ideas?

Applegate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason why when I add BRS soda ash to increase Alk it precipitates so rapidly? My Mg is at least 1350 and Ca around 460. I’ll have to retest parameters this afternoon. But nevertheless this has been going on since I first bought the 2 part pharma. I add a little bit at a time right above my power head but yet the majority still manages to precipitate. I also have some Brightwell Reef code B and that does not
precipitate. Any ideas?
How long before the soda ash did you add your calcium?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the demand on your tank, light, med, high. What is your daily Alk usage. Myself, as of right now my demand is light due to other issues, but my tank drops .25 daily, so I am dosing 27 ml daily, cal is at 410 and mag is at 1380.

Also, what is your ph, I used much more when my ph was at 8.6 due to precipitation into the sand. Now mine is at 8.03.

@randyBRS, any ideas?

OP
OP
mich2599

mich2599

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Demand is not drastically high. It’s only a 50 gallon with mostly lps and some sps. I test weekly and alk for the most part stays around 8-9 so not much deman on a daily basis (10 gal change every 2 weeks). Ph during day stays 8-8.2. I should say it was bought back in July but didn’t start dosing until around August. Even then when I first started to use the soda it precipitated. I may just try another bag and see what that does.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you making a solution of soda ash and RO water, and then adding the solution...or dumping dry soda ash into the tank?

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soda ash causes a cloud when added to the tank. The sodium bicarbonate does not. Always figured this was normal as ESV B-ionic did the same thing when I was using that product.

I just add slowly in the highest flow area of my tank. Haven't noticed any issues from this.

OP
OP
mich2599

mich2599

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you making a solution of soda ash and RO water, and then adding the solution...or dumping dry soda ash into the tank?

Using the jug that they send. Using RODI pour about 3/4 full into the jug then add the soda ash shake until it dissolves then add the rest with RODI. Then use the solution.

OP
OP
mich2599

mich2599

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soda ash causes a cloud when added to the tank. The sodium bicarbonate does not. Always figured this was normal as ESV B-ionic did the same thing when I was using that product.

I just add slowly in the highest flow area of my tank. Haven't noticed any issues from this.

I add directly above my power head and it still needs precipitates.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, what exactly are you referring to when you state it's precipitating?

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding too fast or in too little flow can have this effect. Or the concentration of the solution is wrong.

How fast do you dump it in? It should be drizzled in slowly, imo.

I add a steady slow stream where the surface agitation is greatest in my tank. It clouds but doesn't turn solid. If I dump it all in, it's turns solid on me. I'm adding 15ml twice a day.

OP
OP
mich2599

mich2599

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding too fast or in too little flow can have this effect. Or the concentration of the solution is wrong.

How fast do you dump it in? It should be drizzled in slowly, imo.

I add a steady slow stream where the surface agitation is greatest in my tank. It clouds but doesn't turn solid. If I dump it all in, it's turns solid on me. I'm adding 15ml twice a day.

slowly not all at once. Same I do with Reef code B, yet that one does not precipitate.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use their pharma grade which takes 2 1/3 cups of soda ash to a gallon of water. Are you using the same stuff? I've never had an issue with baked baking soda or the BRS version.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the jug that they send. Using RODI pour about 3/4 full into the jug then add the soda ash shake until it dissolves then add the rest with RODI. Then use the solution.
If you look really close are you sure it’s fully dissolved? I have trouble getting mine to fully dissolve. Hour or two of warm water bath and shaking until mine looks clear and no flakes.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found soda ash precipitated on me also. It was so bad my sandbed turned to one solid chunk. I had to reboot the entire tank. I have since switched to just plain baking soda(not baked to create soda ash). It does require more of the solution compared to soda ash, but it does not precipitate out.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look really close are you sure it’s fully dissolved? I have trouble getting mine to fully dissolve. Hour or two of warm water bath and shaking until mine looks clear and no flakes.

I dump about 3/4 gallon into a large bowl, toss it in the microwave for three minutes, and then start to add the soda ash. It dissolves almost instantly in the warmer water.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 65 46.1%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 47 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back