BRS160 Update 4: Triton Method, here we come! | BRStv

Discussion in 'Bulk Reef Supply' started by randyBRS, Aug 11, 2017.

1. randyBRS

randyBRS BRStv Apprentice :-P R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Here we go, guys!

We are going full bore Triton Method in this episode and Ryan shows you how we are going to achieve a successful conversion.

Ohhh... You're also going to get a sneak peak (and a chance to win) the new Trigger Systems sumps exclusively made for the Triton Method!!

Enjoy!

Tags:

2. nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel Goby Whisperer R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

This is pretty exciting! I think this will be an interesting transition for the BRS 160 and I'll be sure to keep an eye for update videos in the future!

However, I wish there was a way to implement this system on nano all-in-one aquariums. I just don't think there's enough room to do it successfully on something like my IM Nano 20.

LukeUK01 likes this.
  3. Greybeard

Greybeard Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I started dosing Core7 about a week ago on my brand new reef... not much demand yet, of course... Looking forward to seeing BRS's 160 progress with Triton right along side of my 150g peninsula :)

Craig Skinner and Tristren like this.
  4. Kayvon

Kayvon Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

I like the idea of dosing right out of the bottles. Saves me money on dosing containers!

randyBRS likes this.
  5. Greybeard

Greybeard Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

They don't look bad, and are well labeled... no worry about getting the wrong stuff in a container... Lots of good reasons for that.

I just drilled a 1/4" hole in the lids and stuck a length of RO/DI tube in... easy as can be.

TbyZ, haanstang and randyBRS like this.
  6. Shigshwa

Shigshwa Well-Known Member

I am interested in converting to this method. However, I'm also curious about the Core 7 refill stations that was mentioned sometime earlier this year. Are there even any places out there in the US that have these Triton refill stations yet? I would love to convert over to Triton if I could get discounted refills versus buying a brand new set of bottles.

nbagnardi likes this.
  7. SlvrZ

SlvrZ Well-Known Member

wondering if an ATS would be considered a source of macro algaes for the triton method? think it would?

TbyZ likes this.
  8. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

This is super exciting for me. I just got my Triton goodies in the mail and will also be giving the full Triton method a try. Re-plumbing my return tomorrow to get better flow from my return. I am also using the Abyzz 200. I think you'll have enough flow on the 160! I hope I can pull off 10x flow on my 400g. I will also be able to check via the Neptune Systems FMK.

One thing though I may not do it change out my Kessil H380 refugium light or remove my very small CO2 scrubber. Do you think that's a deal breaker?

Also what will you do to keep your sand looking nice and clean?

DLHDesign and nbagnardi like this.
  9. Kayvon

Kayvon Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Maybe the additional CO2 will help in the process of photosynthesis in the algae?

TbyZ likes this.
  10. randyBRS

I remember seeing those as well, which looked AWESOME! I'm not sure what their plan is for those stations, but maybe Triton US can chime in here? :) (For some reason I can't tag them.. :( )

-Randy

11. randyBRS

I've seen some pretty low nutrient systems operating on an ATS, it would be interesting to find out if they can compete with a large 10%-30% refugium!

-Randy

Txdragonslayer likes this.
  12. randyBRS

Phew, that's going to be a lot of flow on your tank! :p I'd be interested in how the CO2 reactor media effects some minor or trace elements (if it does at all). I can say that the refugium growth didn't seem affected at all by the CO2 media. As far as the sand.... either we hire a goby or yours truly gets to put his hand in the tank and stir it up manually! :D

-Randy

nbagnardi and revhtree like this.
  13. Monkeynaut

Monkeynaut Well-Known Member

What percent refugium did you end up with after converting the filter sock area?

14. randyBRS

I think we decided that the measurements of the new fuge area put us right around 25-30gal. That works out to be right around 15%-20% of total water volume. :)

-Randy

revhtree, Greybeard and Monkeynaut like this.
  15. Monkeynaut

Monkeynaut Well-Known Member

They recommend T5, so I can't imagine that the 1500 par growth spectrum of the H380 won't outdo a T5 setup.

16. PedroYoung

PedroYoung Well-Known Member

I am in the process of doing the same thing, except starting from scratch with a 180G. Much of the same equipment too, (including that kick butt Abyzz A200). I've been trying to figure out a sump setup, looking for used tanks etc cause I couldn't find one new that met the Triton requirements. Any info on the size/ volume on the trigger sumps for Triton? How long till they'll be available?

17. Greybeard

I'm figuring my new ref is about 17%, of tank volume and about 12x turnover rate. That's a _ton_ of flow through a refugeum... all my previous refugeum setups were fairly slow flow.

The Triton specific sumps are coming around, it appears... too late for me, I converted a cheap 55g tank. Works... doesn't look great, though. Maybe a 1 year anniversary upgrade ;)

18. Weaselander

Weaselander New Member

Any thoughts on running without a skimmer on a system with a smaller bio/feeding load? Thinking about setting up a 75 gallon with just a large refugium and H380. Probably more of an Softie/LPS tank with just a couple of fish.

19. Ryanbrs

Ryanbrs Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor

Crossing my fingers for us both : )

20. MikeO5422

MikeO5422 Member

Very exciting! It's funny Ryan literally looks like he's in pain when he talks about removing some of the equipment heh heh

Ryanbrs and Tristren like this.