BRS160 Update 4: Triton Method, here we come! | BRStv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

dave57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming that cheato is driving the nutrient levels down to undetectable levels wouldn’t that theoretically created pale sps corals without feeding sps with amino acids or coral foods? In my experience if my nitrates are not above 2 ppm I get very pale looking corals. Due to my cheato being too efficient at removing the nutrients in my tank I’ve had to dose nitrates to detectable levels to keep my sps happy along with amino acids. Can someone explain why Triton doesn’t test for nitrates??

Zbryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the manifold, how do you know how many gph are actually getting to the display with the flow meter at the return pump? Would it be better to put it on the full siphon drain?

taikss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually i have another question: how big is your fuge and the approx cubage of the cheato? i'm getting a feeling that most of the guys have times better display-to-fuge ratio than i'm running, let's say an avg 40g tank would have a 20g fuge beyond it filled with cheato.

Interested in it 'cause my situation is 245 vs 39 (cheato currently around 1/3 of that cubage at best)

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the manifold, how do you know how many gph are actually getting to the display with the flow meter at the return pump? Would it be better to put it on the full siphon drain?

We only feed the skimmer a small amount so I don't know how much it matters. You could put it on the overflow but I'd make sure there was no air. In our case i let a small amount of air in to feed co2 to the fuge.

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone use a Algae Scrubber with the triton method ?
you can, they say you lose some of the pH benefits, the nutrients from die off and a third reason I can't recall at this moment.

Terry DeMott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok here is what I got I have 50 clown fish 12 Anemones, 10 sps frags and 7 sps large corals using triton, but haven't started it yet ALK 8.3 . Now my question is do I continue with Triton or just stop altogether ?

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok here is what I got I have 50 clown fish 12 Anemones, 10 sps frags and 7 sps large corals using triton, but haven't started it yet ALK 8.3 . Now my question is do I continue with Triton or just stop altogether ?

It sounds like you have a pretty low demand system as it pertains to major elements like Alk/Ca/Mg. In that case you could still use the Core7 Base Elements, however since they are very concentrated you would probably end up spreading a dosage over a few days rather than daily. The key will be to continually monitor your Alk and determine if a daily dose is needed or a small bit every two or more days. As far as the refugium filtration and ICP/OES testing portion of the "Triton Method", those are still valuable elements that you can continue to use as well. :)

We detail implementing the Triton Method a bit deeper in this video HERE.

-Randy

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back