BRS160 Update 4: Triton Method, here we come! | BRStv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Jcm412

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is super exciting for me. I just got my Triton goodies in the mail and will also be giving the full Triton method a try. Re-plumbing my return tomorrow to get better flow from my return. I am also using the Abyzz 200. I think you'll have enough flow on the 160! I hope I can pull off 10x flow on my 400g. I will also be able to check via the Neptune Systems FMK.

One thing though I may not do it change out my Kessil H380 refugium light or remove my very small CO2 scrubber. Do you think that's a deal breaker?

Also what will you do to keep your sand looking nice and clean?

I am planning my 300 gallon system. I really like the Triton method, but getting a refugium that big and 10x flow seems like a challenge. What are you using as a sump/refugium for your 400 gallon? Were you able to get the flow you needed?

Justin84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep up the good work guys!

I've been lingering in the background for a while lol... if any of you guys following along have any questions about the system I can help with please ask!
Is it suggested that I run sand in my refugium with this system? As of now I have a 75 gal refugium that has cheato and live rock but no sand.

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey BRS guys any updates on how the Triton system is working out?

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey BRS guys any updates on how the Triton system is working out?

So far so good! There was an initial acclimation period where a couple of corals weren't looking so good and the Acros were a bit browned out, but now I can visibly see that tank is starting to stabilize and come around.

Hopefully we can get some footage and a video up with an update soon. :)

-Randy

Peter K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good! There was an initial acclimation period where a couple of corals weren't looking so good and the Acros were a bit browned out, but now I can visibly see that tank is starting to stabilize and come around.

Hopefully we can get some footage and a video up with an update soon. :)

-Randy

How long did the acros brown out for if you don't me asking? I was going to start the Triton Other Methods dosing once my alk drops a bit but now after hearing that I'm a bit nervous since everything is looking good in my tank.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm not mistaken we haven't seen the BRS160 in like a month. I know you guys put a ton of time AND money into producing these videos @randyBRS , but if the tank is going through some uglies I think we would all love to see it so many can see what to expect while switching over and how you guys are balancing things out.

abecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm not mistaken we haven't seen the BRS160 in like a month. I know you guys put a ton of time AND money into producing these videos @randyBRS , but if the tank is going through some uglies I think we would all love to see it so many can see what to expect while switching over and how you guys are balancing things out.
+1. I think it helps build confidence to see people who are very good at this hobby going through some struggles and then seeing the process they take to turn things around.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah, it’s pretty tough to fit in a fully produced video in our very busy video schedule, but I’ll try to snap some photos or a short video with my phone before we head out to RAP-California on Friday. Things are really coming back around from what we figured was just some initial shock. I’ll try to upload them here or on the FB page in my signature. :)

-Randy

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it’s pretty tough to fit in a fully produced video in our very busy video schedule, but I’ll try to snap some photos or a short video with my phone before we head out to RAP-California on Friday. Things are really coming back around from what we figured was just some initial shock. I’ll try to upload them here or on the FB page in my signature. :)

-Randy

Thanks Randy and again thank you guys for doing this. It's essentially money solely on advertising that you will never see any direct returns from, but provides invaluable resources for the entire reefing community. I think many of us have come attached to the BRS160 as kind of our tank away from home if you will. I'm not a Zeo guy, but learned a ton about how the system works and how it affected different things in the 160. Definitely looking forward to seeing how things progress with the Triton, even if it isn't always the best.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did the acros brown out for if you don't me asking? I was going to start the Triton Other Methods dosing once my alk drops a bit but now after hearing that I'm a bit nervous since everything is looking good in my tank.

Many of them are starting to come back with color. From my experiences with growing Acros, loss of color is always a risk when you make any drastic changes but we do our best to mitigate those changes so they aren’t very extreme which could run the risk of them dying. I’d personally rather have brown acros that are still alive than dying ones from too sudden of a change. I have no doubts that the colors will come back in full force!;)

-Randy

Peter K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of them are starting to come back with color. From my experiences with growing Acros, loss of color is always a risk when you make any drastic changes but we do our best to mitigate those changes so they aren’t very extreme which could run the risk of them dying. I’d personally rather have brown acros that are still alive than dying ones from too sudden of a change. I have no doubts that the colors will come back in full force!;)

-Randy

Thank you so much Randy for your response, I greatly appreciate how involved with the community you all are and continue to be inspired by the progress of the 160 and am excited to try triton in the coming weeks.

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is super exciting for me. I just got my Triton goodies in the mail and will also be giving the full Triton method a try. Re-plumbing my return tomorrow to get better flow from my return. I am also using the Abyzz 200. I think you'll have enough flow on the 160! I hope I can pull off 10x flow on my 400g. I will also be able to check via the Neptune Systems FMK.

One thing though I may not do it change out my Kessil H380 refugium light or remove my very small CO2 scrubber. Do you think that's a deal breaker?

Also what will you do to keep your sand looking nice and clean?
If you're growing algae you won't need or want a co2 scrubber

Peter K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started triton (other methods) on Monday, things looking great so far - dosing 16 ML a day on a 180 mixed display with 40 gallon sump for now, waiting for alk to drop a few more tenths then will probably have to increase dosage a bit. No color changes to report yet, but most of our sps have only been in the tank for a few months to a few weeks so they probably are used to a bit of change for now. Huge thanks to BRS on their info and videos!

Teddyboy16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha yup, I was telling my buddy that you could see the joy being sucked out as he was listing all the gear that was having to be removed or modified lol! the gear junkie in me knows that pain all too well

Yep bonifide gear junkie hear! The more blinky lights the better!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

-Randy
Maybe you could just take weekly pictures and compile them into a video after 6 months. It would be interesting to see what changes happen to the corals ie do some types do better than others etc

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back