Brute Can Crack

WhoIsCandice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

I'm currently using 35 gallon or 40 gallon grey brute trash cans for storing RO/DI and saltwater. However I recently realized that one of my brute cans has a crack, about 7 inches long on the bottom of the trashcan. I used Plumbing Glue (Christy's Red Hot Blue Glue) but this doesn't seem to be bonding well.
-I used a water pump in the trash can when half full and if aimed not towards the top of the trash can, seal would break.
-Filled to completely full today after resealing using the same technique, and I can see that the crack grew under the increased water pressure.

Obviously I can go and buy a new trash can, but is there anyway to reseal this by chance?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey everyone!

I'm currently using 35 gallon or 40 gallon grey brute trash cans for storing RO/DI and saltwater. However I recently realized that one of my brute cans has a crack, about 7 inches long on the bottom of the trashcan. I used Plumbing Glue (Christy's Red Hot Blue Glue) but this doesn't seem to be bonding well.
-I used a water pump in the trash can when half full and if aimed not towards the top of the trash can, seal would break.
-Filled to completely full today after resealing using the same technique, and I can see that the crack grew under the increased water pressure.

Obviously I can go and buy a new trash can, but is there anyway to reseal this by chance?
Now is the time to put that " FLEX SEAL" commercial to the test. If it can seal a boat with a hole- It should seal the brute. Flex seal has a tape that should work.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would br more worried about the crack growing.

OP
OP
W

WhoIsCandice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the crack growing is likely due to using the glue here which is quite inflexible, whereas the plastic used for the brute can is flexible, which I think under water pressure here is going to cause the crack to fold outwards here.

I'll try flex-seal! Thanks.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

Being 32 -40 gallons of water and could possibly be inside . I wouldn’t risk trying different glues . Are these glues being used in contact with saltwater to be used in your tank ?
Not to rain on your tote repair parade . But I personally wouldn’t try repairing it .
If it’s older or not as tough as it once was . I would just replace it . This one could graduate to serve it’s intended purpose of a trash can

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, what's more expensive and inconvenient? Buying a new $50 garbage can or cleaning up 35 gallons of water and the concomitant damage? I know which way I'd go. :thinking-face: ;)

OP
OP
W

WhoIsCandice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up just getting multiple new cans, even the flexiseal didn't work. Just FYI for anyone that stumbles on this thread.

The surface was firm and it cracked on the ground. However it was an old can that had been sitting in the sun for years unused. At some point I DEFINITELY started moving it around with water (not completely full but maybe about 20% full) and definitely the bottom of the can was sagging before it completely failed. I'm just now remembering this.

Anyways, the surface of the bottom even though it was cracked, was also deformed and not flat, which meant that the stress was going to be too much for whatever sealant I used without adding plastic / plastic-welding. This is a PITA and I'd rather not breathe in any fumes or what-not.

Anywaaays, I mostly use these brute cans for fresh-water top off storage. But $35-40 bucks at home depot and I got a new can + lid.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now is the time to put that " FLEX SEAL" commercial to the test. If it can seal a boat with a hole- It should seal the brute. Flex seal has a tape that should work.
Is it safe for use in this application?

OP
OP
W

WhoIsCandice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least in my case the crack was discovered when the brute can had already been emptied or near-empty (it's been a while) and the can is outside on grass. So no harm done. :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back