Brypropis and GHA Treatment

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it really is bryopsis what is the problem with starting over and just using some bottled bacteria? Everyone goes for the long cycle, but I have put in bottled stuff and added animals right away. The uglies won't be avoided, but bryopsis won't be in there.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it really is bryopsis what is the problem with starting over and just using some bottled bacteria? Everyone goes for the long cycle, but I have put in bottled stuff and added animals right away. The uglies won't be avoided, but bryopsis won't be in there.
Well here's the thing. I could but its live rock and I didn't pay 7 dollars extra for live rock. Also all the coral that I did have are in my other tank and there isn't enough space. I could dry my live rock out but that seems like a waste since id have to dry the sand out and empty the tank

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually yes this might work but I'd have to dru the rock. Does soaking rock in vinegar get rid of the green stain on the rock John? How do I get rid of the green stain

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually yes this might work but I'd have to dru the rock. Does soaking rock in vinegar get rid of the green stain on the rock John? How do I get rid of the green stain
I don't know if vinegar would, but depending on what the rock is made of, the vinegar may damage it. I would avoid vinegar on the rock. Once you put it back in the tank it will get a green color on it anyway. Even if you get rid of the gha, etc. there will always be some kind of algae in there. Eventually when coralline grows on the rock algae won't grow on it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if vinegar would, but depending on what the rock is made of, the vinegar may damage it. I would avoid vinegar on the rock. Once you put it back in the tank it will get a green color on it anyway. Even if you get rid of the gha, etc. there will always be some kind of algae in there. Eventually when coralline grows on the rock algae won't grow on it.
If I dry the live rock out and put it back in it will restart the cycle right? Now that you mention it i might completely restart the tank.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F aiptasia? How would I apply that
I don’t actually see bryopsis, just hair algae but assuming it is, you pull as much off as possible, gently. Then apply the mixture to the rock with in tank circulation off for an hour. Using 2mls of solution in a 60gallon tank has almost zero effect on pH and Alkalinity but you must have the in tank circulation off. The high pH of the mixture precipitates a magnesium hydroxide shell, causing a crust. Eventually the white patch disappears leaving a clean rock primed for encouraging crustose coralline algae. I’ve tested this mixture really close up to corals, with zero negative effect. Do not get it on anything you want to live.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, these are great for removing algae from rocks. I bought some for a lot less at Harbor Freight, if you have that. You might want to use them out of the tank since you don't want to get bristles left in there.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You don’t want vinegar but if you’re going to start all over with Rick- bleach/water is your answer
Green film also would be consumed by pin cushion urchin and ninja star snails

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, these are great for removing algae from rocks. I bought some for a lot less at Harbor Freight, if you have that. You might want to use them out of the tank since you don't want to get bristles left in there.

I got a couple jn my garage somewhere but won't the bristles rust?

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New idea. By completely shutting down my tank, drying out live rock, and etc could I just dump bacteria in like John said and have the dead bacteria stsrt the cycle while having no algae?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
New idea. By completely shutting down my tank, drying out live rock, and etc could I just dump bacteria in like John said and have the dead bacteria stsrt the cycle while having no algae?
i believe so. have to make sure the rock has no algae and rinsed before reintroducing.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back