OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you able to share a full tank shot? I think that might help with this issue. Also I think your solution here should be keeping it simple in agreement with others in the thread: remove any light source from the tank and just wait it out. Algae needs light to survive and it will eventually die off given enough time. This will give your tank a chance to get off on the right foot anyway without having a lot of competing photosynthetic organisms beating out the others. There's no doubt you'll never eradicate the stuff since the stuff can be reborn from spores without needing any light, but this at least gets you going in the right direction. Lightless cycle for at least a month, scrub down the rocks, and a 100% water change before adding livestock. Bumping magnesium can be a good way to kill back bryopsis during that time.
I can around 3. 100%? Are you sure?

The Wyld Zone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read your amazing post on these guys. Do they release toxins when they die? I don't think I saw anything about that in your thread. These guys sound amazing! I'm trying to find them here in Canada.
They do not. They don't produce much slime either.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The slimy looking stuff is not briopsis and not what I would call gha. I guess I would need to see the whole tank and the algae close up in the water to be sure. Under microscope will not help me much, but could help others if you have access to one. Since you are in school, you could ask the science teacher to use one and take pictures. They may love the idea.
Definitely cut any light source. You can even take black garbage bags around the tank to keep the light out. If you have any corals, just do this for 3 days. If no coral, do it for two weeks.
Looking for that FTS when you have a chance.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The slimy looking stuff is not briopsis and not what I would call gha. I guess I would need to see the whole tank and the algae close up in the water to be sure. Under microscope will not help me much, but could help others if you have access to one. Since you are in school, you could ask the science teacher to use one and take pictures. They may love the idea.
Definitely cut any light source. You can even take black garbage bags around the tank to keep the light out. If you have any corals, just do this for 3 days. If no coral, do it for two weeks.
I know there's gha. Not sure about the slime but I could get better pictures soon

The Wyld Zone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pic I saw of the rock was out of the water. GHA can definitely look and feel slimey and gooey when out of the water.
Turf algae does the same. I try very hard not to slip on it at low tide. Like walking on grease.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pic I saw of the rock was out of the water. GHA can definitely look and feel slimey and gooey when out of the water.
Turf algae does the same. I try very hard not to slip on it at low tide. Like walking on grease.
My lights will be on for ybe photo soon

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae. Id?

Attachments

• 16442010997032607615022313821633.jpg
    16442010997032607615022313821633.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 29

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Does vibrant kill gha and brypropis
Vibrant - GHA yes and bryopsis no.
With bryopsis you MUST remove roots. as long as roots are present bryopsis will thrive. A dental pick is a perfect tool to pull the roots

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Could you id the photo to tell me
Pic 1- GHA
Pic 2 - may be bryopsis but pic green and fuzzy/ A pin cushion urchin and a couple of emerald crabs will help with clean up

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And for brypropis only hydrogen peroxide, reef flux, and foot removal can destroy it right
Kalkwasser mixed with sodium hydroxide does it, or F Aiptasia if you got money to burn. Hydrogen peroxide don’t work very well on it if the rocks are left in the tank.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back