BTA Anemone Questions

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so I purchased a bubble tip anemone about 1 and a half weeks ago. I got it when I was in Houston, and brought it home to LA. I have a Fluval 32.5 that is just recently a year old, and I put an additional light on it (the Fluval reef/marine). And I’m still slowly increasing the light percentage. This is my first anemone (other than a rock flower which is doing very well in my tank), and the anemone was very bright/rich red (a Sherman RBTA. And I got a smallish one for $75. I put it on the right side of my rock work on a rock with nothing on it, and that had a bunch of crevices, and it seemed fine but would move in circles only around a small portion of it for the first week in the tank. It recently decided to move up onto the higher up rock piece, but it’s weird since it’s staying in a place with high flow since the power head is close, and the spot is flat and it’s foot isn’t in a crevice which is weird. It’s stayed relatively in the same spot for a couple days, and it looks alright. I also feel I made the mistake of feeding it (smaller food like
Mysis or reef roids) about every other day in my tank, and I recently heard that should be avoided when the anemone is still moving and then still needs to digest that food. So I’m wondering if not feeding it for a while will help, and it may start moving again? I’m not a huge fan of the spot it’s in since the rock has my Monti and Stylo, and I really don’t have many other places to put my stylo. So I’m wondering if I should CAREFULLY place him back on the original rock or put him on a larger rock in the middle of my tank and clear out all the coral there since it is a good location for it.
Sorry for the very long thread, and thank you if anyone actually takes the time to read it and get back to me.
Any other anemone tips would be appreciated as well :)

4B695D12-6871-4F71-A037-FDFD98E35114.jpeg 2C12D459-7F19-49A6-98A4-CDCB665E7EC7.jpeg F7DF18D4-A13F-473D-B863-6767033D8128.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave it be. It will go where it wants to go. The anemone now owns your tank. Any hands on treatment is a bad thing for the anemone. Feeding is not necessary besides what it catches on its own. Even target feeding once a month is fine.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you'd like to move him, use a small plastic knife and slowly remove him from the rock being very careful not to injure the foot. They are a bit more tricky to remove than RFA's, also they don't search out crevices as often as an RFA or maxi mini would, they prefer to venture to high lighting areas, so it may end up going right back.
As far as directly feeding, I wouldn't do it at all, its not very healthy to feed them directly, they are happy picking up small pieces of food naturally in the water column.

JayA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will go where it is happy, no matter where you try and put it...

OP
OP
Cantusaurus

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, sounds good. Thank you everyone for your input and advice! :)
I will leave it be unless it is dangerously close and moving toward my stylo. I will only move it if the foot is loose and I will put him in the center of my tank and move all the other corals out of the way, and he can choose wherever he wants to go. But I really don't want to and hope I don't have to move him and possibly stress him out or hurt him.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, sounds good. Thank you everyone for your input and advice! :)
I will leave it be unless it is dangerously close and moving toward my stylo. I will only move it if the foot is loose and I will put him in the center of my tank and move all the other corals out of the way, and he can choose wherever he wants to go. But I really don't want to and hope I don't have to move him and possibly stress him out or hurt him.
If it moves too close to your other coral, then move the coral not the anemone.

Star Wars Reaction GIF by Disney+

OP
OP
Cantusaurus

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll move the coral not the anemone if needed you’re right. I’m looking at it now, and I’ve noticed that it looks like it has a little ident on the side (it’s hard to explain just look at the picture). I’m not sure if this is cause for concern since it looks fine. Is it splitting though? Or is this just like a little nick it got somehow

Attachments

• 2979AA64-D521-44EA-9291-136FBC7974AF.jpeg
    2979AA64-D521-44EA-9291-136FBC7974AF.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 026A6928-3086-49D7-889B-A873CA1EF8E6.jpeg
    026A6928-3086-49D7-889B-A873CA1EF8E6.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 72
  • BA837BAE-2825-4B46-A4EA-221559AF08DB.jpeg
    BA837BAE-2825-4B46-A4EA-221559AF08DB.jpeg
    206.5 KB · Views: 57

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll move the coral not the anemone if needed you’re right. I’m looking at it now, and I’ve noticed that it looks like it has a little ident on the side (it’s hard to explain just look at the picture). I’m not sure if this is cause for concern since it looks fine. Is it splitting though? Or is this just like a little nick it got somehow
When it hides for more than a week or looks like it is deteriorating is when to be concerned.

mistyw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everyone else, it will go where it wants. I put a couple in my tank after considering where they would most like it for flow, light, etc. They roamed, leaving a path of moderate destruction, and then ended up exactly where they had started. I have a CSB in another tank on my kitchen bar and instead of staying in the front looking awesome from our living room it moved to the back of the rock. Must enjoy watching me wash dishes!

Saltinmyblood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will always move to where they want to be. When I first started reefing I had one, it kills everything in its path until it gets to where it wants to go. Once there it will stay there as one guy said hear it now owns your tank LOL.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once it finds it's "happy place" you might try feeding small pieces of frozen shrimp or little neck clams from a grocery store. Key words - "small pieces". You might also start planning for a larger tank in the distant future. Ask me how I know....

IMG_7886.jpeg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back