BTA half-split with two feet, but stopped.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added a CSB to my tank, and in the process I might have ticked it off enough that it started to split, but then stopped.

The BTA fully open is 4-5", and now has two feet, one disc/mouth. It definitely only had 1 foot when I first introduced it to the tank.

When I brought it home (from a local reefer), it was in a tupperware. I did use a credit card to pry a bit of the foot off, then slowly peeled it off. I didn't see any damage, as far as I can tell. It attached to a rock almost instantly.

I did only do a temp acclimation, as salinity already matched.

CSB looks just fine, other than the two feet. I don't think there's anything to worry about, but it is kind of weird and I hope nothing comes of it (except maybe it'll fully split?).

I guess it was stressed for a second, decided to split, then it was like: "oh cool, I'm good" and stopped. Has this happened to anyone? Any need for concern?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added a CSB to my tank, and in the process I might have ticked it off enough that it started to split, but then stopped.

The BTA fully open is 4-5", and now has two feet, one disc/mouth. It definitely only had 1 foot when I first introduced it to the tank.

When I brought it home (from a local reefer), it was in a tupperware. I did use a credit card to pry a bit of the foot off, then slowly peeled it off. I didn't see any damage, as far as I can tell. It attached to a rock almost instantly.

I did only do a temp acclimation, as salinity already matched.

CSB looks just fine, other than the two feet. I don't think there's anything to worry about, but it is kind of weird and I hope nothing comes of it (except maybe it'll fully split?).

I guess it was stressed for a second, decided to split, then it was like: "oh cool, I'm good" and stopped. Has this happened to anyone? Any need for concern?
This is Cool.

Abarge16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely strange. Maybe it decided halfway through that it wasnt to bad. Or maybe it decided to try the bipedal life.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many days has it been since you put it in the tank?

How many days after being placed in the tank did it begin to split?

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many days has it been since you put it in the tank?

How many days after being placed in the tank did it begin to split?

Started to split within 24 hours of introducing into the tank.

It's been about 4 weeks now, still didn't fully split.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started to split within 24 hours of introducing into the tank.

It's been about 4 weeks now, still didn't fully split.

I don't know what to think. There is a user on I believe the name is @OrionN, who's specialty is Anemones. Let's see what he has to say.

-JoJoReefing-

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have my Chicago sunburst splitting into two feet but having one mouth, and it stops at this stage for a couple days already. Guess I am not alone now ;)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 69 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back