BTA in time-out

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I bought it 2 months ago, it was a nice little BTA with thick, short polyps. In my tank, it became a monster with long tentacles, stinging anything near it (I think it is purposely extending tentacles to reach corals near by).

So I put a physical barrier between it and the corals near it, because it was stinging them. It made it move 2-3 cm to the left and now it’s leaving everyone alone. Its polyps are shorter as well.

I’ll be upgrading tanks in a little while and I do not want to have to use egg crate in it. Any tricks to keep it away from corals ? If not it’s just going to have to go.

Thanks !

1696893962687.jpeg

1696893992387.jpeg

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTA's will want to go where they go. It might help however, to keep the areas of flow it's interested in away from corals you want to keep. It may also help to keep that area with similar reach LPS corals

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, not so much. I recommend this as those corals I have found to be less annoyed by an anemones roam and reach. It could also be that in many cases, I see these placed towards the bottom or around the lower parts of the tank and BTA will generally find a corner or a specific area of the rock that it finds more suitable to its home. This is my perception and may not be the same for everyone.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
that barrier will only help until it decides to move. overtime, if you add rock work, or your corals grow out more, the flow of the tank will change and so will the quality of your lights which will provoke the nem to roam

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that barrier will only help until it decides to move. overtime, if you add rock work, or your corals grow out more, the flow of the tank will change and so will the quality of your lights which will provoke the nem to roam

It decided to latch on the crate so I tried to give it away while I could get it. Nobody wanted it so I kept it in a breeder’s box for the day. Then I took pity on it and released it at the other end of the tank, where there is no coral to bother. I hope it stays there or else it’s going when I’m upgrading.

1697069125682.jpeg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 30.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back