BTA - possible bacterial infection?

greyduck-reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R - I've had a green bubble tip anemone for about a month and it's my first try at keeping one. It settled on the shady side of a rock (PAR = 90) on its first day and hadn't moved since. I understand they often need higher light, but it looked content so I just let it be. I also didn't feed anything for the first three weeks.

Fast forward to this last week and its health seems to be declining fast (losing color, becoming transparent, mouth open at times). The strange thing is it's developed what looks like an infection on the edge of its oral disk (see above mouth in pic). Despite this, the BTA stays inflated most of the time, is responsive to touch, and keeps its footing on the rock. Only livestock are two clownfish (don't host) and sexy shrimp. I've noticed the clowns nipping at the nem.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on what to do, especially if it needs cipro asap. Thanks!

10 gal
PAR = 90 - 150
Temp = 78
Salinity = 1.025
NO3 = 4
PO4 = 0.03
dKh = 8.1
Ca = 440
Mg = 1450
pH = 8.0

gbta.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be wise to get the cipro and do a treatment in a QT tank. It can not hurt.

OP
OP
greyduck-reef

greyduck-reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day four of cipro. Unfortunately, the oral disc continues to show some sort of localized tissue decay/necrosis (see right above the mouth in pic) :( Not sure what else to do at this point, but will complete the full 7 days of treatment.
IMG_8601.jpg

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day four of cipro. Unfortunately, the oral disc continues to show some sort of localized tissue decay/necrosis (see right above the mouth in pic) :( Not sure what else to do at this point, but will complete the full 7 days of treatment.
IMG_8601.jpg
Dang, I really thought cipro would cover this. Looks infected. We need some anemone pros to weigh in. I’ve kept my fair share but never ran into this.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started cipro (250mg in 10 gal) treatment yesterday. I'll update this thread on how it turns out.
IMG_8578.jpg
I've asked another member to take a look. I've done twice that dosage on cipro. Hopefully we can help you turn this one around. They are resilient I've seen them go to no tentacles and gross to healthy with time hang in there.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve can you help. Im thinking cipro dose is to low?
If not seeing improveon day 2 or 3, I up my dose to 500mg per 10 gallons for severely damaged nems.

I then continue that for 7 days. At that point you should see signs of improvement. Treatment can stop them if improvement is seen. I then keep nem in hospital tank and do daily water changes until nem is healed up.

The guy below went through a powerhead at the lfs. I brought home and it ended up having to hit 500 for 7 days. It now resides in my 180 and is a pain with how much it wants to split lol.

Cant find pic of when it went in, but this is day 6. Tents are about gone, but healed. If given the right conditions, bta heal quickly.

59D1CF1A-9072-487A-8F09-0FB4A79F033B.jpeg

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might just be inaccurate measurements, but my RBTAs that have been established and healthy for a year hide from anything above 100-110 in the par range. I have one that settled in at 90 PAR and its doing fine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
greyduck-reef

greyduck-reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might just be inaccurate measurements, but my RBTAs that have been established and healthy for a year hide from anything above 100-110 in the par range. I have one that settled in at 90 PAR and its doing fine.
Interesting. I wonder how variable the light preference is for these guys, depending on where they were collected. For my bta, i think it settling away from the light may have made matters worse (less light, less energy, compromised immune system). In the hospital tank, I’ve kept it under brighter light, around 150 par

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the apogee sq-500 sensor with a multimeter, so it may not be all that accurate. I need to get the amplifier board from blueacro to use it properly. I do notice that they don't really grow much unless I feed them brine shrimp regularly, so maybe the lighting I have isn't the best. They bubble up nicely though.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine in the mid 200s and they still reach for the lights.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back