BTA shipping requirments?

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I am planning on shipping anemones soon for the market here. the issue is I have never done this before. I have a basic understanding on shipping, insulation is a must, good packaging, and not too cook the poor animals with too much heat. I plan on using Styrofoam box size of about 10x10x10 ish overnight. using fedex. how would you do this? would you cover the anemones bag with packing nuts and tape a heat pack to the top lid? or would the insulation be enough to withstand the major temp fluctuations when being transported by a plane? when I ship the nem I plan on adding a small bag of carbon, or some other water purifying media (make a recommendation please on how much and what should be best). if temps are in the mid 70's during the day shipping and nights in the low-mid 50's should I add a heat pack? when should I add a ice pack? I have no idea and I will not ship until I fiqure this out.

if I was to spontaneously ship a nem right now I would call my lfs ask for a insulated shipping box pick it up buy a live animal cardboard box with all of the warning statements affixed, fill a 6 inch wide 12 in long fish bag with aquarium water, pull the nem out inspect the nem for damage put in bag of water, plop in half inch square of ammonia reducing pad along with a table spoon of carbon in a media bag tie off the nem water bag, double bag the nems bag, pack with shredded paper, tape a 40 hour heat pack to the lid then seal everything up and ship.

Last edited:

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I am planning on shipping anemones soon for the market here. the issue is I have never done this before. I have a basic understanding on shipping, insulation is a must, good packaging, and not too cook the poor animals with too much heat. I plan on using Styrofoam box size of about 10x10x10 ish overnight. using fedex. how would you do this? would you cover the anemones bag with packing nuts and tape a heat pack to the top lid? or would the insulation be enough to withstand the major temp fluctuations when being transported by a plane? when I ship the nem I plan on adding a small bag of carbon, or some other water purifying media (make a recommendation please on how much and what should be best). if temps are in the mid 70's during the day shipping and nights in the low-mid 50's should I add a heat pack? when should I add a ice pack? I have no idea and I will not ship until I fiqure this out.

if I was to spontaneously ship a nem right now I would call my lfs ask for a insulated shipping box pick it up buy a live animal cardboard box with all of the warning statements affixed, fill a 6 inch wide 12 in long fish bag with aquarium water, pull the nem out inspect the nem for damage put in bag of water, plop in half inch square of ammonia reducing pad along with a table spoon of carbon in a media bag tie off the nem water bag, double bag the nems bag, pack with shredded paper, tape a 40 hour heat pack to the lid then seal everything up and ship.

My method is to use a sealed Styrofoam box in extreme temps(heat/cold) or cut Styrofoam in more mild temps.

Heat pack when below 70 at Fedex Hub or destination is below 70. I tape the heat pack to the lid and poke two 1/4" holes for oxygen to the heat pack through the Styrofoam lid and box. I like to use a 40-hr heat pack animal heat pack (don't use handwarmers) and make sure to tape it with the red line up.

Cold pack when above 80. I wrap it in packing paper and put it on top of all the packing. Make sure when using either pack not to let it touch the coral/anemone bags.

Otherwise, about 2-3 cups of water depending on the size of the anemone and I personally heat seal the bag but you can use rubber bands or tie a knot. I double bag with 4 mil bags. If 3 mil or less, I would triple bag.

Place the bagged anemone in the box in top of some packing material and place more on top to make sure it's snug.

I personally don't use carbon or ammonia reducing pads... Never needed it and I ship $1500 anemones.

If you need a good contact for shipping, PM me. I use a company and its pretty cheap by industry standards.

Anemones are pretty forgiving... Nothing like when I ship SPS. Just don't let the box get too hot... Better to undershoot and arrive a little colder than too hot. They'll survive colder, but don't do as well if it get a too hot.

Good luck. They are mostly bulletproof when shipping in my experience.

OP
OP
Robert McCreary

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My method is to use a sealed Styrofoam box in extreme temps(heat/cold) or cut Styrofoam in more mild temps.

Heat pack when below 70 at Fedex Hub or destination is below 70. I tape the heat pack to the lid and poke two 1/4" holes for oxygen to the heat pack through the Styrofoam lid and box. I like to use a 40-hr heat pack animal heat pack (don't use handwarmers) and make sure to tape it with the red line up.

Cold pack when above 80. I wrap it in packing paper and put it on top of all the packing. Make sure when using either pack not to let it touch the coral/anemone bags.

Otherwise, about 2-3 cups of water depending on the size of the anemone and I personally heat seal the bag but you can use rubber bands or tie a knot. I double bag with 4 mil bags. If 3 mil or less, I would triple bag.

Place the bagged anemone in the box in top of some packing material and place more on top to make sure it's snug.

I personally don't use carbon or ammonia reducing pads... Never needed it and I ship $1500 anemones.

If you need a good contact for shipping, PM me. I use a company and its pretty cheap by industry standards.

Anemones are pretty forgiving... Nothing like when I ship SPS. Just don't let the box get too hot... Better to undershoot and arrive a little colder than too hot. They'll survive colder, but don't do as well if it get a too hot.

Good luck. They are mostly bulletproof when shipping in my experience.

beautiful! thank you so much! the details are spot on! thanks to @hdsoftail1065 for the tag.

ill PM about the supplies. wish I could give more likes :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back