BTA tentacles are twisting right off...

RabidDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very large BTA that I've had for about a year. The central disk has grown from ~3inchs to ~10 inches since I got it.. Its now massive. I've seen it in a large number of different inflation states and shapes, from looking like over-inflated balloon tentacles, to slender to actual bubble tips.

In the past month or so I've noticed something completely different. The coloration now spirals up some of the tentacles much like a candy cane and the actual shape of some of them are spiral too.

Problem: Some of the tentacles get twisted exactly like a balloon used to make the segments in a balloon animal. I became concerned this would actually cause them to ripe right off. Last night I discovered my scoly appeared to by dying, it was a mess of degrading flesh. After using a baster to blow off the decaying flesh I realized it was trying to eat a tentacle that had fallen off the BTA.

Has anyone ever had this problem before? I've search R2R and seen some articles about BTA with spiral tentacles but none about them actually twisting off.

See videos and picture:

20220918_121741.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can’t open video on my phone but this is due to stress. Either too much light especially if Ben is bleaching, high nitrate and even tentacles being by a clown especially maroon

SNAKEMANVET

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My chi burst are doing the same thing.I know nitrates are not causing it.My nitrate are really low along with my phosphates,been battling Dinos for the last 5 months.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t believe it is related to stress or high nitrates. BTAs love nitrates. I have had them doing fantastic in tanks with nitrates over 120 in the past. I have had mine get what I describe as curly Q tentacles sometimes. Never had them twist off. I have seen random tentacles floating around randomly on occasion. No idea why as the anemones all look great. Could low nitrates be the cause? I doubt it.

OP
OP
RabidDragon

RabidDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't think its a nitrate/phos issue but:

water parameters:
  • Ca 405 a bit low
  • Nitrate 21 to high, I know
  • phos .39 to high, I know,
  • alk 8.1
  • sg 35
  • temp 77.5
doing daily 20% water changes now to bring parameters back in, waterbox 220, I only have the 1 brute trashcan for water changes.

goals:
  • Ca 420
  • Nitrate 10
  • phos 0.05
  • sg 35
  • alk 9.0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 43.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back