Bubba's SPS Journey

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubba,
What's your top 5 that you've added to your collecrion, regardless of price or newness? I'm always curious as to what reefers like in their own systems.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubba,
What's your top 5 that you've added to your collecrion, regardless of price or newness? I'm always curious as to what reefers like in their own systems.
Good question! Lots of mine are still frags so I don't know what they will really look like. Going with the current state of how things are, I would have to go with:
1. CB Maleficent
2. PC Superman
3. Mattv psycho asylum
4. TSA Princess peach
5. ARC Fireworks

As thing grow I am sure it will change. I am wanting to see how the confetti, Homewrecker, Walt disney and BC bellicose will turnout to be.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question! Lots of mine are still frags so I don't know what they will really look like. Going with the current state of how things are, I would have to go with:
1. CB Maleficent
2. PC Superman
3. Mattv psycho asylum
4. TSA Princess peach
5. ARC Fireworks

As thing grow I am sure it will change. I am wanting to see how the confetti, Homewrecker, Walt disney and BC bellicose will turnout to be.

Great list! Makes me sad that I lost two of those (PC Superman and CB Maleficient) when I bought a guy out last year. He had both but they didn't make the transition.

So are you getting the good polyp colors on the ARC Fireworks?

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great list! Makes me sad that I lost two of those (PC Superman and CB Maleficient) when I bought a guy out last year. He had both but they didn't make the transition.

So are you getting the good polyp colors on the ARC Fireworks?
I feel polyp color is meh. I polyp color looks like the TSA pic on page 4 and not like the ones on JF pics. I feel he tries to shove red in a lot of his pics.

Last edited:

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel polyp color is meh. I polyp color looks like the TSA pic on page 4 and not like the ones on JF pics. I feel he tries to shove red in a lot of his pics.
That's the seller for me on that one... if the polyps really contrast the blue/purple body or not. I'll keep tagging along to see how yours matures.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's the seller for me on that one... if the polyps really contrast the blue/purple body or not. I'll keep tagging along to see how yours matures.
If you look at the picture on ARC website it does contrast like that. Mine does hold the contrast well with blue body and red polyp but its a super slow grower....seriously super slow.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at the picture on ARC website it does contrast like that. Mine does hold the contrast well with blue body and red polyp but its a super slow grower....seriously super slow.
Awesome! Do you have a pic of yours? Under what spectrum? I'm shying away from acros that look good under actinics only. Sorry Bubba if I'm hijacking your thread, just wanted to see more pics of the Fireworks!

Yati

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FCF51F81-619F-447C-A234-8EB6143F656F.jpeg
I have a piece of JKR Rainbow, it’s finally starting to take off, sometimes I feel like I dropped it to low but it’s to late now lol

I don't really share much pics but I figured I would start so I can document my journey and sps growth. I will upload new photos of new sps as I get them or have time to take more photos. Here are a few to start with.
JKR rainbow.png

JKR rainbow
Pink Lemonade.png

Pink Lemonade
BC Secale.png

BC Secale
TSA Princess Peach.png

TSA Princess Peach
Confetti January.png

Vivids Confetti

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Do you have a pic of yours? Under what spectrum? I'm shying away from acros that look good under actinics only. Sorry Bubba if I'm hijacking your thread, just wanted to see more pics of the Fireworks!
I want to see more pics also!

Mine was stalled for so long but here lately it it finally starting to take off. It has only encrusted the whole time it. It finally has a branch growing so maybe I will see color change on the polyps as they grow on the branch.

FCF51F81-619F-447C-A234-8EB6143F656F.jpeg
I have a piece of JKR Rainbow, it’s finally starting to take off, sometimes I feel like I dropped it to low but it’s to late now lol
I have a tiny frag of the JKR rainbow growing out in a frag tank that is plumbed to the display. It is receiving less light and I feel color is better on it than my main colony, so maybe just give it more time to settle in.
dsc_0217-2-jpg.719166

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can get one. Its so boring and small that I generally don't take a picture of it but I will get one this time.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to see more pics also!

Mine was stalled for so long but here lately it it finally starting to take off. It has only encrusted the whole time it. It finally has a branch growing so maybe I will see color change on the polyps as they grow on the branch.

I have a tiny frag of the JKR rainbow growing out in a frag tank that is plumbed to the display. It is receiving less light and I feel color is better on it than my main colony, so maybe just give it more time to settle in.
dsc_0217-2-jpg.719166
Is the larger frag on the right with the red polyps your ARC Fireworks Bubba?

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, all three of those are the JKR rainbow. I started a different thread a little while ago to see if the small horizontal nub or the vertical nub would grow branches faster. Of course I was just doing it for fun, since I had the rock fall in my display tank and break those little tips off, so I said what the heck lets see what happens. Unfortunately I put them too close to the larger frag and the larger is now growing into the other nubs so I will never really be able to tell what was growing faster.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, all three of those are the JKR rainbow. I started a different thread a little while ago to see if the small horizontal nub or the vertical nub would grow branches faster. Of course I was just doing it for fun, since I had the rock fall in my display tank and break those little tips off, so I said what the heck lets see what happens. Unfortunately I put them too close to the larger frag and the larger is now growing into the other nubs so I will never really be able to tell what was growing faster.
We'll have to go back to the drawing board with experimental design. [emoji14]

Do you have a picture of your fireworks? Did I miss it?

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We'll have to go back to the drawing board with experimental design.
emoji14.png

Do you have a picture of your fireworks? Did I miss it?
I posted a side view back on page 4. Here is one I just took from top down.
DSC_0052-2.jpg

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals look great man! Cant wait to see how the new BC acros grow out. How long do you run your lights and how old is your current system and also your rock (which I assume some is older from prior tank?)

Also, do you run carbon?

Thanks!

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals look great man! Cant wait to see how the new BC acros grow out. How long do you run your lights and how old is your current system and also your rock (which I assume some is older from prior tank?)

Also, do you run carbon?

Thanks!
Thanks Johnny! I posted my light schedule in a different thread so I just copied it here. Both tanks are plumbed together but if you look at some pics and if they are growing on a tile, that is in my frag tank, so maybe you can see a color difference.

My previous tank was a 75 gallon that was up for 9 months. My 180 is 1 year and 2 months old. I transferred over all the rock from the 75 and bought new dry rock from BRS. I think it is about 50/50 mixture of old rock and new dry rock. I lost 95% of the coral when I did the transfer.

I do sometimes use activated carbon in a mesh bag in my sump. I have ran it in a media reactor before and I got stn after a few days of starting it. Maybe I had to much flow going through the reactor but I won't test it again to find out, lol.

Display lights are 11 inches off the water on a 24" deep tank. Frag tank is 16" off the water with a 10" deep tank.
Display light schedule is:
2 SB reef bars 10:30 - 9:30
2 bulbs from the ATI t5's 12:00 - 8:30
All bulbs 1:00 - 7:00

Frag tank:
1 SB reef bar 10:30 - 8:30
2 bulbs from the ATI t5's 10- 8
All bulbs 12- 7

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back