Bubble algae and Aipstasia CC

santeeeyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know any alternatives to an emerald crab?I am trying to avoid emerald crabs, I was wanna get a coral banded shrimp but I know peppermint shrimp would eat the Aipstasia, I bought a frag that had some of both on it, I didnt really think much at the time but now I know what aipstasia is. I wanna avoid emerald crabs as I have tiny frags , a single hermit crab i think, a trochus snail, and 3 of those sand sifting snails that rise out of the sand. Ive been looking into feather dusters as well for the future.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermints are more miss than hit with aiptasia. In my experience if you're lucky to get one that actually eats it. After the shrimp dies off the aiptasia will come back with a vengeance. I've never had a pep shrimp live more than a few months. As for emeralds I've never had issues with them and they do knock out bubble algae. Once you have aiptasia there is no elimination although you can control it. It gets into your overflows etc.. where critters and you can't get to it and it always reproduces.

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pithos crab

They're just better emeralds with smaller claws. I only read praise about them.

It'd also help to manually remove bubble algae out of the tank, crab will help stop it from coming back (and so will lowering nutrients for it to grow back) but its not going to make it all disappear, and if there's enough of it can help it spread by popping them.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back