Bubble Algae Problems

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this topic has been discussed, but, last week I noticed a piece of bubble Algae on a frag in my DT. I removed the frag praying it inhabited only that and needless to say my fear has come true.

Today, I noticed another spot with a few pieces of bubble Algae.

Now my parameters are

Nitrates 1.7
Phos 0
Mg 1390
Ca 440
Dkh 8.0

I thought these guys loved elevated nitrates, however, I have been trying to overfeed in order to raise my nutrients a bit. Do they also thrive in parameters as listed above?

I want to prevent a massive outbreak. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I will say, I made the dumb butt move when I thought I noticed a small bubble group growing I wanted to make sure my eyes weren't playing a trick and tried to remove what I was seeing...so im sure I've now introduced more spores into my tank (wahhhhhh).

I do have vibrant on hand as I've used this before for GHA. But don't need more issues like dinos or cyano, as I feel that already tanked my nutrients before. But it's on standby if required.

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried both Emerald crabs and a bicolour Foxface, neither solved the issue. What solved it for me was Vibrant. Only setback I had with it was small patches of Cyano.

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried both Emerald crabs and a bicolour Foxface, neither solved the issue. What solved it for me was Vibrant. Only setback I had with it was small patches of Cyano.
I have vibrant on hand if I need to. But I don't want new problems. Cyano/Dinos vs BA

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have vibrant on hand if I need to. But I don't want new problems. Cyano/Dinos vs BA

Yeah I allways opt for the natural solutions first, but with relentless pests like BA and Bryopsis, I have found that things like Vibrant and Fluconazole are the best soloution.
Cyano is fairly easy to combat also, if nothing else works use red slime remover!
Dinos on the other hand is worse then all of the above. :)

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I allways opt for the natural solutions first, but with relentless pests like BA and Bryopsis, I have found that things like Vibrant and Fluconazole are the best soloution.
Cyano is fairly easy to combat also, if nothing else works use red slime remover!
Dinos on the other hand is worse then all of the above. :)
I already have very low nutrients. I feel if I start vibrant...im def gonna get dinos and cyano. Which im not a fan off. Right now, I'm hoping just manual removal will work. Once my nutrients get higher and it gets out of control...I will use vibrant.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure if the big bubble type is a different species, but if you got the larger marble size type, then a small hypo filled with peroxide will make quick work of a small patch
...if you got the teardrop shaped “bunch” stuff or those lil bead sized “grape” clusters, then maybe turn off the flow and broadcast chem those with peroxide ... make sure no shrimp are nearby ... they got threads outlining the procedure.

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So upset it got introduced in my tank. I only really shop at one LFS. But I have shopped in other places, just not often, so I couldn't even complain. They do hold a higher standard for the products they sell...and it's probably where it got introduced. But, oh well it is what it is.

It's frustrating tho.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know conventional wisdom holds manual removal risk the spread of “spores” or whatever, but IME you can fashion a tool from a plastic knife and sorta pry off the algae manually ... again this depends on the rock, type and growth habit.
But often there is a single stem or holdfast you can “Flick” off ... the important thing is the tool; it need to be dull but pointed...ehh sorta .. file down a plastic knife or remove all but one “fork” from a plastic fork ...

...and just get after if ... follow up over the site with peroxide ... bubble algae is hard to avoid over the life of a tank, guarantee you most of us beat it eventually

JayStro81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm lucky when it comes to emerald crabs. I had bubble algae outbreaks in 2 different tanks and in both occasions I dropped an emerald in and within a couple of weeks the algae was gone. It's been months and I still have the crabs and so far they have been model citizens. I do feed heavy though and every few days I spot feed the crabs with a piece of pellet food.

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know conventional wisdom holds manual removal risk the spread of “spores” or whatever, but IME you can fashion a tool from a plastic knife and sorta pry off the algae manually ... again this depends on the rock, type and growth habit.
But often there is a single stem or holdfast you can “Flick” off ... the important thing is the tool; it need to be dull but pointed...ehh sorta .. file down a plastic knife or remove all but one “fork” from a plastic fork ...

...and just get after if ... follow up over the site with peroxide ... bubble algae is hard to avoid over the life of a tank, guarantee you most of us beat it eventually
At the end of the day Emeralds burst the bubble to eat it. I guess the idea of a "perfect tank" is gone lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back