Bubble Algae... What is your method?

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rabbit fish grow extremely fast and tangs often don’t seem to be much use for it.
Yep....I used a small fox face in a 60 gallon. He took care of the bubble algae that he could, and then took a liking my only colony of zoas. I need to catch and rehome him now as he is too big for the tank.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral is fine out of the water for some time, even SPS. I remove my rock with corals if I need to do something and small picos do 90 percent water changes so all the water is drained for a bit.

Mother Nature does this at low tides. Corals have adapted to survive it. They can be out of the water for hours during the tides.

202DFC25-0369-4805-93ED-DAA08CBFAE71.jpeg

@Tamberav and @KingTideCorals thanks for your comments. I’m a newbie at two years and working with coral makes me nervous, and I’m reluctant to take them out of the water. This will give me a bit more calm about things. Thanks

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tamberav and @KingTideCorals thanks for your comments. I’m a newbie at two years and working with coral makes me nervous, and I’m reluctant to take them out of the water. This will give me a bit more calm about things. Thanks

I forgot a montipora on my kitchen counter overnight lol. It had some die off around the edge from being left out 12 hours but was 80 percent fine and completely recovered.

I don’t recommend forgetting corals sitting on the counter but that was an extreme example of their resilience that surprised me.

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe remove rocks as necessary and scrub clean. Manual removal.
Yeah this is what I ended up doing, I show some of the scrubbing on my video from my YouTube channel on the original post!

Agreed though, you need to be the HERBIVORE!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot a montipora on my kitchen counter overnight lol. It had some die off around the edge from being left out 12 hours but was 80 percent fine and completely recovered.

I don’t recommend forgetting corals sitting on the counter but that was an extreme example of their resilience that surprised me.
I did almost the same thing with an acro colony. Took it out to frag it, niece called me right after and was having car issues. Let it on the cooler lid I was going to frag it on, went to help her, 4 hours later, came back and fragged it. No issues with it, but man was it slimy lol.

It was not a small colony. The pic below is when I got back and you can see it still looks "wet". That is the slime and there was a ton of slime on the cooler lid lol.
tempImage3uPss7.png

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did almost the same thing with an acro colony. Took it out to frag it, niece called me right after and was having car issues. Let it on the cooler lid I was going to frag it on, went to help her, 4 hours later, came back and fragged it. No issues with it, but man was it slimy lol.

It was not a small colony. The pic below is when I got back and you can see it still looks "wet". That is the slime and there was a ton of slime on the cooler lid lol.
tempImage3uPss7.png

You created low tide

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dealing with this currently, looks like only two methods: manual or get lucky with a crab or a fish. Hmm. I was hoping switching to all blue would out a dent in my issue, it didn’t work.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dealing with this currently, looks like only two methods: manual or get lucky with a crab or a fish. Hmm. I was hoping switching to all blue would out a dent in my issue, it didn’t work.
Easiest way I have found is to use a stainless straw (like for a yeti cup), tubing to put the straw into and scraping it off while siphoning. Then turning off flow and putting a little h2o2 in that area and letting it sit there for a few minutes. Kalk paste will also work.

Here is an example of the straw and tube method.

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easiest way I have found is to use a stainless straw (like for a yeti cup), tubing to put the straw into and scraping it off while siphoning. Then turning off flow and putting a little h2o2 in that area and letting it sit there for a few minutes. Talk paste will also work.

Here is an example of the straw and tube method.

Thanks, I will get a straw and some angry music blasting and just suck it up lol

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they pop up I manually remove and watch my tangs and even my blue throat trigger gobble them up

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble algae is currently my least favorite thing about this hobby. I've been manually removing what I can almost every weekend. I get in there with an exacto knife and my wife comes in with a small tube connected to a make shift vacuum that runs through a cannister filter. I cut, scrape off everything that I can get to while she sucks up all the loose bubbles. This works fairly well but they come back quickly. I might skip a weekend every once in a while, but most weekend we spend at least an hour in the tank doing this.

I have tried a couple of emerald crabs (1 at a time) but they didn't touch the stuff, and for whatever reason, both have died (only thing in my tank that has in my first year of having a reef tank).

I think I am going to get a couple of pitho's to see if I have any success with those. If not, I guess I will just keep manually removing like we have been.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I order a set of dental tools (teeth cleaning) from Amazon and I use them to pick it out and then I just suck it up. Emeralds get what I don’t see - this has always worked for me extremely well.

OlafsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Pick the few that are in crevices and show up from time to time.
2) Lazily wait til they get stuck in a power head or an urchin picks them up to remove them.

Never found them to develop to anything close to an issue if you remove them even with lazy frequency.

Bada Bing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bubble sucker includes 5/16" rigid and silicone tube dumping into a sock. A pointy ridged tube make a good scraper.
r.
PXL_20230124_015223462.jpg

Marco333

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased this bubble algae removal tool. Hopefully it works well, going to try it when it arrives. Tool

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats
I order a set of dental tools (teeth cleaning) from Amazon and I use them to pick it out and then I just suck it up. Emeralds get what I don’t see - this has always worked for me extremely well.
That’s what I did too - stainless dental tools from Amazon. I scrape and my wife follows along with Python siphoning into a sock in the sump. I have a 75 gallon, considering one spot foxface for now and re-home when it gets too big.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question I have is, does the sock catch all the "spores" that are released from popping them or are you trying to remove the whole bubble. Some larger tanks with more rock work would brutal to remove all the rock out. Not saying its not worth it but it would be like a total re-aquascape if you had to remove 150lbs of rock or something.

corey

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question I have is, does the sock catch all the "spores" that are released from popping them or are you trying to remove the whole bubble. Some larger tanks with more rock work would brutal to remove all the rock out. Not saying its not worth it but it would be like a total re-aquascape if you had to remove 150lbs of rock or something.

corey
That myth has been de-bunked there is no spores in bubble algae, it's fresh water :) pop away! Right @DanyL ?

Last edited:

legalizedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a small patch of bubble algae absolutely explode into an infestation.

it’s likely the accumulation of multiple things.

1. My UV has been offline as it’s installed on my soon to be set up upgrade
2. I was feeding reefroids probably too much

This is probably not the best method but all I did was go in there with forceps and destroy the living crap out of as many bubbles I could find. Let them find their way into my filter floss and swap the floss after.

I’ve since started dosing bottled bac daily and live phyto rather than reef roids.

as it stands right now, the patches I’ve destroyed have not made a comeback. Fingers crossed, cause this stuff is uggggggglly

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back