Bubble Algae... What is your method?

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love seeing these discussions on here chatting about the anecdotes/trials from all reefers on how they handle a problem within the hobby. One in particular I feel that almost all despise in their display is Valonia aka Bubble Algae. Would love to hear from you all your experiences and what you did to try and mitigate this problem.

Check out my video and see how I try to tackle my bubble algae issue currently in my Lagoon tank! My method is manual removal and just be ther Herbivore! LOL

Look forward to a fun discussion with you all, happy reefing!

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vlamingi seems to love it, scrape it off the rock with a toothbrush and he goes ham. My purple tang seems to eat it if it's in the water column too.

Emerald crabbies help keep it in check too

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen some people just put one or two emerald crabs in their tank expecting them to make a dent and then complain that they arn't fixing the problem. True emerald crabs to eat bubble algae, but you need quite a few. I'd say 1 per 10 gallons ish. So for me its more of a solution targeted towards nano tanks. I added a fox face to help my bubble algae problem and it took a little while but eventually no more bubble algae. Sadly he passed away a few months ago, and now its making a come back. I may need to get another fox face in the future.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had several patches and removed by hand two weeks ago. Added two emeralds and one got one patch I couldn’t reach today. If i have to hand remove every two weeks then I don’t see a problem. Keep on top of it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a large sewing needle rubber banded to a 1/4" hose and I stab each one with needle and all gets sucked up at the same time

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I watched the video and watched the guy pull out his rock work to scrub off the bubble algae. I never thought you could pull out a rock full of coral to clean it and the coral would be okay? Really?

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I watched the video and watched the guy pull out his rock work to scrub off the bubble algae. I never thought you could pull out a rock full of coral to clean it and the coral would be okay? Really?
Hey there! Thanks for checking out my video! Yeah the soft corals dont mind being out of the water for a minute. This happens as well for any fragging that occurs!

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what happened, but I went from a bunch of it, it having odd craters where encrusting coral had started growing over it.

It just kinda went away on it's own.

I'm wondering if an explosion in the turbo snail population had something to do with it. I went from 3 large snails, to looking one night and seeing a hundred or so baby snails all over the place. Then like a month later I looked again and there was a new generation of baby snails.

There must be 200 snails in there right now. I really need to stay up one night this week and pick a bunch of them out of there.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen some people just put one or two emerald crabs in their tank expecting them to make a dent and then complain that they arn't fixing the problem. True emerald crabs to eat bubble algae, but you need quite a few. I'd say 1 per 10 gallons ish. So for me its more of a solution targeted towards nano tanks. I added a fox face to help my bubble algae problem and it took a little while but eventually no more bubble algae. Sadly he passed away a few months ago, and now its making a come back. I may need to get another fox face in the future.
They go for 120$ at my lfs!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love seeing these discussions on here chatting about the anecdotes/trials from all reefers on how they handle a problem within the hobby. One in particular I feel that almost all despise in their display is Valonia aka Bubble Algae. Would love to hear from you all your experiences and what you did to try and mitigate this problem.

Check out my video and see how I try to tackle my bubble algae issue currently in my Lagoon tank! My method is manual removal and just be ther Herbivore! LOL

Look forward to a fun discussion with you all, happy reefing!

I did manual removal and when new ones popped up, kept removing it. It eventually never returned. Doable on a nano.

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black spot foxface. It has the widest algea palete.
I had a foxface that loved it as well, my lagoon is a 25 gallon so hard to keep a bubble algae herbivore in that size tank...

Any recommendations? I could get a small tang/rabbitfish and move into a larger system after its done its job..? What is yall's thoughts?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a foxface that loved it as well, my lagoon is a 25 gallon so hard to keep a bubble algae herbivore in that size tank...

Any recommendations? I could get a small tang/rabbitfish and move into a larger system after its done its job..? What is yall's thoughts?
Maybe remove rocks as necessary and scrub clean. Manual removal.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rabbit fish grow extremely fast and tangs often don’t seem to be much use for it.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Coral is fine out of the water for some time, even SPS. I remove my rock with corals if I need to do something and small picos do 90 percent water changes so all the water is drained for a bit.

Mother Nature does this at low tides. Corals have adapted to survive it. They can be out of the water for hours during the tides.

Corals basically slime up. Also in the wild they would be beat with the sun, wind and rain.

It’s pretty cozy in your house compared to outside and being out of the water isn’t very long when working with the rock. Often you can just spray the rock with tank water to keep them moist to prevent any die off.

202DFC25-0369-4805-93ED-DAA08CBFAE71.jpeg

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back