Bubble coral growth rate?

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience they are very slow growers. However, do they have a great appetite.

Same here. They love to feed, but mine has been fairly slow growing. Although I've also had some setbacks with it getting knocked over and buried by my pistol shrimp. Love the coral though. When it's fully open and swaying in the current it's one of the more interesting corals in my tank.

0516201631d.jpg

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, what do you feed?

You'll probably want to feed them meatier foods like mysis shrimp or LRS Reef Frenzy. Although I've also seen mine eat pellets that land on him as well. You could also mix in some reef roids and/or selcon to your frozen foods to beef up the nutrition profile.

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a thread that shows me fragging it and how large they can get. It broke my heart to do it but it needed it. I love these corals ...always have.

Mark3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for several years....started about the size of a tennis ball and grew larger than the size of a football in about 2 years. And yes they do love to eat....fed mine squid chunks mostly. He did even get a few fish when he was lucky.
Then one day I saw that his body was coming away from the base....took only about two or three days and it was gone, nothing but a white bone left.
I don't know what happened, ... maybe he just outgrew the tank? I only had a 75 gallon at that time, and a football size coral pretty much dominated the tank.

But yes, that coral was one of the most noticeable and talked about corals that I ever had, looked like a huge bunch of grapes, and I was sad to see it go.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are by far my favorite corals. Super pretty at day and night. They look like aliens where their tenticals come out

WGivens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just about to start a new thread and saw this...so I hope I don't hijack the initial question.

I recently purchased a Bubble coral from my LFS and it has an extremely large skeleton that is like a stock. I asked the LFS about it, as I never seen one with suck a large structure as its base and they said, "that is the way it was cut off the reef". It makes it difficult for placement, and as I continue to research I figured I'd ask here. Does anyone know if I could cut the base down some? If so where? Do you think if I were to cut it, would it harm the coral? I see they are difficult to frag, didn't see much on the skeleton though. Would love to hear others thoughts and advice. Thanks in advance.

Bubble Coral.jpg

ScottInTennessee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1526 copy.jpg

Im wondering about this one. I got him about a month ago and he barely opens more than this. I have triple checked my water and conditions. I am hoping this could be normal since he was so big moved to my tank. you guys got any advice?

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1526 copy.jpg

Im wondering about this one. I got him about a month ago and he barely opens more than this. I have triple checked my water and conditions. I am hoping this could be normal since he was so big moved to my tank. you guys got any advice?
How much light and how much current is it getting

ScottInTennessee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve made sure it’s not in a flow area and the bubbles barely sway It’s also not in a high lighted area about midway down my 90gal tank. I am using 4 AI Prime 16HD lights with the BRS recommendation for spectrum and schedule

gabemostafa23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love bubbles i been very lucky with them

Attachments

• C2A9677B-0875-407B-896F-2CCA6D6231F2.jpeg
    C2A9677B-0875-407B-896F-2CCA6D6231F2.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 66

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1526 copy.jpg

Have you tried target feeding? Should have a response.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back