Bubble Magus Filter Rolls not lasting

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st gen on one and the 1.5 gen on the other. No second gen yet. Love the motor upgrade on the second gen, haven't bought it yet.

What is the new upgrade on the second gen? IDK why but I could not find the info lol

I did not even know there was a 1.5...

I wonder if the coolant rolls will fit that one too? I guess it should if the rolls are the same between gens..

Brucealmighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the same issue with the replacement roll. It took a month to go through the roll that was supplied with the unit, but 3 days to go through the replacement i bought. any links to a good replacement i can buy in the UK or direct from china guys?

Really dissappointed with this replacement now......
Hello mate not seen this thread until this evening but Charterhouse aquatics sell these replacement rolls I use for my bm fleece roller not sure how to share the link but it's in fleece rollers section under bubble magus listed as AR-F1 replacement filter fleece hop this is some help and not too late
Screenshot_20220618_220758_com.microsoft.bing.jpg

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you do with the large as heck 2" core. I ended up re rolling it on a smaller core. My experience was mixed with the 80 micron, worked on one tank and the other tended to poke out the lower holes but I love the 50 micron.
I have an extra BM Roller so I re-rolled it to the smaller core. It was kinda PIA so I will rig something up to use the 2" core next time.
Yes, the lower holes are definitely problematic, curved up and get the water by passing (even with the original BM rolls.) I temporary blocked those holes as shown by one of the post above. However, I found that the filter media will tightly pressed again the walls when I have the paper threaded outside the top 2 rollers. It created more tension and keep everything nice and tight. I think the filter would work really well if those 2 top rollers are about 1/2" further out.
By the way, mice is the older one and I hacked it up pretty good to fit my sump

20220618_141331.jpg 20220618_141344.jpg

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an extra BM Roller so I re-rolled it to the smaller core. It was kinda PIA so I will rig something up to use the 2" core next time.
Yes, the lower holes are definitely problematic, curved up and get the water by passing (even with the original BM rolls.) I temporary blocked those holes as shown by one of the post above. However, I found that the filter media will tightly pressed again the walls when I have the paper threaded outside the top 2 rollers. It created more tension and keep everything nice and tight. I think the filter would work really well if those 2 top rollers are about 1/2" further out.
By the way, mice is the older one and I hacked it up pretty good to fit my sump

20220618_141331.jpg 20220618_141344.jpg
Likewise on the butchering. I changed my motor so its directly apex controlled and also isn't so large.

20210703_175220.jpg

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the new upgrade on the second gen? IDK why but I could not find the info lol

I did not even know there was a 1.5...

I wonder if the coolant rolls will fit that one too? I guess it should if the rolls are the same between gens..
Biggest difference is motor layout, 2nd gen is a LOT smaller. 1.5 gen has the manual advance for the roll on the motor, but otherwise its the same as the first gen.

1st gen:
Screenshot_20220618-141939.png

2nd gen:
Screenshot_20220618-142352.png

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest difference is motor layout, 2nd gen is a LOT smaller. 1.5 gen has the manual advance for the roll on the motor, but otherwise its the same.

1st gen:
Screenshot_20220618-141939.png

2nd gen:
Screenshot_20220618-142352.png

There is a big price difference so trying to figure out if it's worth buying Gen 2 or just get that one on premium aquatics for cheap?

Just to fit in sump? Is it just a footprint thing?

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a big price difference so trying to figure out if it's worth buying Gen 2 or just get that one on premium aquatics for cheap?

Just to fit in sump? Is it just a footprint thing?
Not sure if the new gen has better motor or not but I would just get the older one! As a mater of fact, I chopped my up to fit the Redsea S400. Then the old motor went bad (it was given to me so it was pretty old). I bought the one from Premium Aquatic since i could not find a replacement motor/controller.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if the new gen has better motor or not but I would just get the older one! As a mater of fact, I chopped my up to fit the Redsea S400. Then the old motor went bad (it was given to me so it was pretty old). I bought the one from Premium Aquatic since i could not find a replacement motor/controller.
BM used to sell the motor as a part through seaside aquatics, I replaced one a few years ago for 40 bucks with local pickup.

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BM used to sell the motor as a part through seaside aquatics, I replaced one a few years ago for 40 bucks with local pickup.
Yeah, Aquacave had it for $70 but was out of stock. It was no brain to get the whole unit for $120. I actually got same brand motor as yours from Amazon and used it to re-roll the Coolant Paper Filter.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 84.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back