Bubble Magus Filter Rolls not lasting

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just replaced my first roll on my BM Large roller filter after three months on my IM 150 Lagoon. My return flow is 600 GPH per Neptune flow meter. I previously had the Medium on my 75 and got the same three months average from each roll. I guess time will tell if the replacement rolls will last as long. Holding my breath. In addition to the flow and sensor height, I believe the actual height of the filter itself within the sump might play a roll. After the first few weeks of my current Large roller filter, I raised the whole filter one notch as the paper was not getting as dirty as I would have liked. So right now it sits about an inch above the sugested water line.
Please keep us posted, I run mine right on the line I adjusted my ATO Float to the recommend level line on the BM and is doing g well, fingers crossed let us know about the replacement I will be following . Heck 2 months is great I was changing socks every two days… thank you!

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you got the roll from Precision did you have to cut it to size ? or needed any adapter for the center hole to fit your BM ?
No, the roll dropped in, it's a hair tight but nothing crazy. They sell a 4" precut roller. The center hole is slightly larger then the normal BM roller 2" versus 1.75ish for the BM. I didn't worry about that, I just dropped it on.

Boogiedown_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the roll dropped in, it's a hair tight but nothing crazy. They sell a 4" precut roller. The center hole is slightly larger then the normal BM roller 2" versus 1.75ish for the BM. I didn't worry about that, I just dropped it on.
How are the rolls doing, thinking of ordering some myself?

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Comparatively, great. I'm at 31 days in and the roller looks to be just a hair under 1/2 left.
Once I’m done with the replacement rollers I got I will switch to those, at the end are they cheaper ? I have the Large roller the replacements I got from BM are lasting 6 to 7 weeks but I blast them. Seems that these will last longer .

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you had to call to get the custom size? 4” or 6” 20 micron?
I did 50 micron at 4". I run a small BM filter roller. I emailed them during the work week, got a reply within 48 hours.

If you want 20 micron that's up to you, but prepare to have the roll burn through. I also tried 80 micron, on another roller setup it was OK... But I preferred 50 micron.

Last edited:

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much was the roll?
Close to half of the price, just a hair under 10 bucks a piece + shipping, minimum 2 roll order.

Remember folks this isn't the BM stuff, it's coolant paper ultimately, so you don't get a empty roll, or pretty packaging. Literally a roll of aquarium safe coolant paper. You need to diy and see if the application works for you!

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to buy a BM small but had seen a ton of complaints lately about the filter media having problems and so I held off on the purchase. But if this 50 micron stuff works maybe I’ll buy it after all.

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to buy a BM small but had seen a ton of complaints lately about the filter media having problems and so I held off on the purchase. But if this 50 micron stuff works maybe I’ll buy it after all.
Yes I do understand your concern, but I think you should also size it according to your flow rate from your return, example I have a high flow rate so I bought the Large model and currently using the first replacement roll and is running like the first one… my 2. Cents…

If you have a a 100 gallon above I will go with the large model not medium or small …

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I do understand your concern, but I think you should also size it according to your flow rate from your return, example I have a high flow rate so I bought the Large model and currently using the first replacement roll and is running like the first one… my 2. Cents…

If you have a a 100 gallon above I will go with the large model not medium or small …
I can’t fit a medium or large unit in my sump. Well… medium maybe. Depending how wide it is if drain goes into same side as the motor. But I can’t find that measurement anywhere. I have a 100 galling DT but only 500gph return flow. I think a medium would be overkill.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The issue with that is that BM should change the sizing instructions from GPH ratings to tank size, if that's the case. I'm running a small on a 120G with a cube sump. The small says it can handle up to 600 GPH, I run between 340-370 gph currently (measured with a dwyer meter). I'm more about powerheads for tank turnover than high speeds for the sump water exchange. I didn't have issues in the beginning with it on the 120 gal and previously a 50 gal cube, I was running media purchased back in early 2019 up until earlier this year (bought a ton from my LFS for a deal). At some point BM decided to change the media and all he!! Broke loose. What was working suddenly didn't and the single difference was purchasing new roller media, in 2021. Was the old roller media wrong from the beginning, or is the new media wrong? BM won't fess up to either situation.

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t fit a medium or large unit in my sump. Well… medium maybe. Depending how wide it is if drain goes into same side as the motor. But I can’t find that measurement anywhere. I have a 100 galling DT but only 500gph return flow. I think a medium would be overkill.
How large is you tank ?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's your dimensions for a small...
bubble-magus-filter-roll-small-by-bubble-magus.jpg

diver22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So
How large is you tank ?
ory did not see the 100 gallons, I think a medium would be good, but depending on you flow rate but 500 gph it should do the job. Don’t think is an overkill. Just a wider roll.

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's your dimensions for a small...
bubble-magus-filter-roll-small-by-bubble-magus.jpg
That’s not what I’m looking for. I have access to all of those.

I’m trying to find out what the dimension is for the image on the right for the Medium unit, after you move the drain input to the motor side.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s not what I’m looking for. I have access to all of those.

I’m trying to find out what the dimension is for the image on the right for the Medium unit, after you move the drain input to the motor side.
When I looked them at my LFS the medium has the same drain piping dimensions as the small. It's just a 6" roll instead of 4. Im at work, but can get a measurement on how far does the piping stick out, so you can figure out how much space you gain when you swap the pipe over.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back