Nano Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-7348962007226051448_IMG_3060.JPG
IMG_1901.JPG
7789085344_IMG_3033.JPG

Last picture is the mother the first two I sold. Very nice colors one of the brightest RBTA’s I’ve seen!

vector824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea why and how they split?

Apparently they just like certain systems over others. I know that they split for two reasons; they're either happy or unhappy/stressed. Unhappy splits are not good because they'll use their remaining energy to divide themselves for survival. I directly feed once to twice a week with my own oyster/shrimp/nori/reefroids blend. Just chunks of shrimp work too though. My dad had one that just wouldn't grow but when he started feeding it showed better growth/color. My lighting is a 48" dual T5 fixture with ATI Blue Plus and Orbit Marine LED.

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
b884f63d151c1d71ed7a53892c4d20e2.jpg

You all have such beautiful bubble tips. I’m just happy that after more than two years mine is finally making bubbles again

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, one of mine has split and looks likes it purple. it was rose when I got it, bleached, and turned purple a couple of months later. weird... Any thought???/

RayKeeper503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to the forum and saw this thread first so I figured I would post mine!

This is my main rosey that split twice in a year and now I have 3 beautiful ones that my gold bar maroons will defend to their last breath!

6812FCA2-A073-4310-AF53-FB4E9B675619.jpeg

3E9FE380-3786-4FBB-BABA-7A1EF7E223B4.jpeg

E3E63E5A-BD99-465F-BB43-2A43AFAE90C7.jpeg

Jrod381

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of getting a rainbow BTA but hesitant because I was told they will move around a lot and possibly kill corals while doing so. Does anyone do anything in particular to keep them in one place? Also how do you feed them and what do you feed them and how many times a week?

swirlygig

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of getting a rainbow BTA but hesitant because I was told they will move around a lot and possibly kill corals while doing so. Does anyone do anything in particular to keep them in one place? Also how do you feed them and what do you feed them and how many times a week?
I don't feed mine. They grab scraps from tank feeding. Not necessary. They tend to walk when they are splitting, trying to find a good spot or not happy. Mine stay put for the most part since they settled in.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They definatly can move around when unhappy for a variety of reasons. They will not typically kill imediatly, but their continued contact will kill most corals, especially SPS.
The best way to keep them in one place is to place them in a hole on the underside of a rock where they can reach out into the light and flow in a well established tank, usually at least 6 months old. They are going to be happiest in a tank with nitrates above 5. They will do fine even with nitrates as high as 120 as they can take nitrates directly from the water column. I do not feed my anemones directly. My nitrates are 20-25 and I have 16- 25 medium to xl (12-14”)anemones in my 300 gallon tank at any time. Another way to help keep them from moving is to isolate them to a island away from your other corals. BTAs also like a lot of light and flow. Flow should be around them and directly aimed at them, especially their foot. All this is no guarantee they will stay put. If your conditions are bad enough they will just release from the rock and let the current take them to a new hopefully better location. This is how anemones end in powerheads or sumps. Should your anemone end up in a power head, turn it off and let it recover and extract itself is the best way to save it in most cases.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%

Back