Bubble tip help

Lucjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else's bta create a mucus or spit looking slime that will float off every once and a while? I first noticed it when mine was all twisted up but its stretched out and still has some. Should I be concerned? I'v had the anemone for about 2 months now and the tank has been up for a year and half. And what would cause my bubble tip to not have bubbles either. Thanks
IMG_20230130_180911.jpg
IMG_20230130_180905.jpg

S.G. 1.026
pH 8.2-8.3
dKH 10.3
Mg 1440
Ca 430

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still looks good. Not sure about the mucus but there's no rhyme or reason to bubbles. I've had ones with bubbles right next to ones without.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do your powerheads occasionally spread air bubbles into the tank? If so, the BTA could be inadvertently ingesting them and then expelling them. It could also be waste that is picking up gas bubbles. Regardless of the reason, the nem definitely looks healthy, so if it's not deflating, it's not a concern.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Does anyone else's bta create a mucus or spit looking slime that will float off every once and a while? I first noticed it when mine was all twisted up but its stretched out and still has some. Should I be concerned? I'v had the anemone for about 2 months now and the tank has been up for a year and half. And what would cause my bubble tip to not have bubbles either. Thanks
IMG_20230130_180911.jpg
IMG_20230130_180905.jpg

S.G. 1.026
pH 8.2-8.3
dKH 10.3
Mg 1440
Ca 430
Has this BTA moved at all? They have mucus/slime on their base and it may be releasing it as it moved. Other would be microbubbles. I dont think its a flow issue as when there is too much flow, they typically move.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do your powerheads occasionally spread air bubbles into the tank? If so, the BTA could be inadvertently ingesting them and then expelling them. It could also be waste that is picking up gas bubbles. Regardless of the reason, the nem definitely looks healthy, so if it's not deflating, it's not a concern.

My experience with Nems has been that they have a cycle, and deflating Nems are normal as wringing themselves out daily is how they excrete waste.

My Nems will be completely deflated during the moonlight phase and slowly reinflate over the course of the night.

By the time the sunrise period is over and the tanks lights are on full, the Nems are fully inflated. And as the day advances and gets into the sunset phase, they begin th deflate again.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some bubble and some don't. I don't think there's a certain way to accomplish either. If something is attached to your nem and is concerning, are you sure your flow is high enough? Might have happened to me countless times without knowing because it would just get swept away.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with Nems has been that they have a cycle, and deflating Nems are normal as wringing themselves out daily is how they excrete waste.

My Nems will be completely deflated during the moonlight phase and slowly reinflate over the course of the night.

By the time the sunrise period is over and the tanks lights are on full, the Nems are fully inflated. And as the day advances and gets into the sunset phase, they begin th deflate again.
Yes, this is definitely true. I should've been more clear by stating deflation during the day, and not for the purpose of excreting waste, is a sign of a potential problem. Other signs are an open, loose mouth (sometimes referred to as "gaping") and not adhering to a surface, or for sand dwelling anemones, not buried in the sand.

OP
OP
L

Lucjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my Anemone did just currently move at the time I seen the bubbles. No bubbles from my powerhead that Iv seen and mouth looks good. It does deflate as well when my moon light starts. All amazing reply's this is my first post and it's awesome to see how everyone can help

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back