Bubbles on Kenya Tree

Iggy305

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks!

Hoping someone can offer some insight on the little Kenya Frag in my QT. It’s grown/done well along with everything else in the tank. A couple of weeks ago I noticed bubbles had formed near its base. I’ve searched around a bit but haven’t found a similar instance. Soooo, does anyone know what this is growing on my Kenya?

How might I get rid of it? Should I just cut the Kenya above the bubbles and put it on a new plug? Any help is appreciated.

I feel it bubble algae, but the only place I see it is on the Kenya, colony of bubbles has pretty much stayed that size as well.

14A73E17-5C59-4098-9F45-55136DE63FC2.jpeg

E51D314F-6F42-4023-84C1-A04DC1D68045.jpeg

Last edited:

RedTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is bubble algae. Take coral out of the tank, and remove the bubbles with a tweezer. Try not to break them but if you do, its okay since its not in the tank. Rinse plug with tank water, discard the rinse water, and then put back in tank.

OP
OP
Iggy305

Iggy305

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I’ve been fortunate in never having do deal with Bubble Algae before. Is it normal for it to grow in just that one spot?

Also this frag has grown quite a bit, could I just cut it and put it on a new plug?

OP
OP
Iggy305

Iggy305

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic is blurry but kinda looks like closed up zoas/palys -- does it look like something else in real life?

Honestly my first impression is bubble algae, but I figured I’d see it in other places. Bubbles are a greenish brown color and translucent.

RedTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen it grow like that on my plugs and no where else in the tank. Its a good thing actually because in an ideal scenario you would want to remove the rock or whatever the bubble algae is growing on from the tank and take care of the algae then to prevent spreading it throughout the tank.

If you cut the kenya tree from the plug, it will take some time for the kenya tree to reattach to a new one. Gluing it won't work since its a soft coral.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely bubble algae. It will probably have come in on your frag. If you can, you must get rid of it now. It will grow in your corals, like zoas, and cause problems. Once it eventually spreads it will be very difficult to get rid of without chemical treatments. Popping it, as mentioned above, is bad if it's in the tank. It will cause it to spread. Inside the tank, a dental tool or toothpick with the tip cut off can be used to gently remove it or your fingers work well if it's not too tightly attached. Fortunately, you have been lucky with it. Don't wait if possible. Also, you've got a nice frag there!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Iggy305

Iggy305

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s not everyone’s MO but this is why I QT. Thanks for your help folks.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't cut the kenya unless you are prepared to wait 2 weeks for it to reattach to a piece of rubble in a basket or something. You can sometimes stick a toothpick through the coral and put rubberbands on the sides to a frag plug but then you have to hope the toothpick doesn't do any damage. I would just scrape the algae off in a different container with tank water and put it back in the quarantine and watch to make sure no others grow back.

OP
OP
Iggy305

Iggy305

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also be prepared to have hundreds of Kenya trees a couple months from now. I have a kenya forest that needs a chainsaw
20220119_144712.jpg

So I’ve heard. I’ve heard the ‘plague’ stories, but my daughter likes it, so Kenya tree.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve heard. I’ve heard the ‘plague’ stories, but my daughter likes it, so Kenya tree.
Thats fine you'll eventually be able to trade them with people or toss them in the trash. I try to pick the ones up that float around the tank and attach them to plugs. Same i do with mushrooms. But like I said they aren't easy to put on plugs lol
20220126_181428.jpg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back