Bubbling Rocks

  • Thread starter Thread starter Shtiff1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Shtiff1

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 23, 2013
Messages
179
Reaction score
2
Location
North Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to get Alot of tiny bubbles coming out of my live rock. Does anyone else have this and /or what causes it?
 
is your skimmer possibly leaking bubbles into your display? can you post a picture of the bubbles? live rock typically doesn't release visible bubbles.
 
Is the rock new dry rock?
Dry Rock does that because there is a lot of pores in it and it takes awhile for all those little pore to fill with water. I usually twist and shake my new dry rock while submerged under water
 
My best guess (as I just battled this and had the same symptoms) is that you have a thin layer of Cyano growing on your rocks, and it traps bubbles.
 
Is the rock new dry rock?
Dry Rock does that because there is a lot of pores in it and it takes awhile for all those little pore to fill with water. I usually twist and shake my new dry rock while submerged under water
No its over a year and a half
 
It's definitely not micro bubbles accumulating on the rock is it? Very small amount of air getting into your pumps.
 
No, bigger than micro bubbles. No air in pump ; water is clear.

i'm still going with cyano.

5.jpg


Cyano-B.JPG
 
Last edited:
Cyano. It might be time to change some bulbs. GL!
I just installed new LED's that have 4 times the Par of the old T5's that I had originally.
Phosphate are 0
Nitrates are 7
Great flow and par of 200 on the sand bed.
I'll post pics when lights come at 2
 
Could it be nitrogen due to anaerobic bacteria completing the nitrogen cycle?
 
uploadfromtaptalk1404933657819.jpg


It is actually looking really good today. Added some chemiclean today to spiff it up a little
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new