Bucket list fish on order.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered this beauty and it should be here Wednesday. Nobody else in my house is excited so I wanted to share with people who would understand. I’m so excited! I hope she makes it through shipping and QT! Any advice is welcome...I’ve never acclimated a shipped fish before. The live aquaria acclimation method isn’t what I planned to do but is required for the 14 day guarantee to be valid.
F3040B2F-2891-4414-9993-0665DDA69317.png

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to move and find a proper social net to engage in your joy. That's an awesome fish. They tend to be pretty hardy ime so acclimate it per the guarantee and feed it well and you should be good to go!

OP
OP
TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have a starry blenny in my display and he eats hikari spinrulina brine, algae pellets and nori. I also have the LRS herbivore blend that the blenny doesn’t like. Is that suitable for a clown?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
ACCLIMATION very important. Warm up bag in tank under LOW light and empty contents into bucket - CLEAN bucket. Add a cup of water from tank to bucket every 15 minutes 8 times.
Trap fish with same cup (not net), pour off water and release fish into tank.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the fish is going into QT, simply match your QT salinity to the bag water. Diver's Den should ship close to reef salinity, unlike most wholesalers/retailers. Then float the bag so the temp matches, then release the fish.

I do not recommend dripping, or any kind of additions to the bag, for a shipped fish. There is too much ammonia built up in the shipping bag to acclimate this way.

I know Live Aquaria recommends drip acclimation for their shipped fishes. They are wrong.

OP
OP
TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish made it to the qt tank...she’s a beauty but I think she has a mouth injury and possible infection?
F320F3C4-F848-499D-AB98-CD08871883EC.jpeg
386E3D69-BE76-4E41-A5C2-2E210496ED25.jpeg
A186E8E6-8290-4D95-9A5F-889012C32E6B.jpeg

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this thread, it might be helpful for you.

OP
OP
TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can get to a LFS that has a lot of medicine but I’m overwhelmed on the different options. Methelayne blue and kanaplex are mentioned in the quoted thread by Humblefish and Melypr so I guess I’ll go with that. What else should I pick up just in case? The guy at the store rambled on for a solid 90 seconds naming medications so I should be able to get most anything. They close in a couple hours so headed there now. Any advice #reefsquad ?

OP
OP
TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried once yesterday and she did not eat but I just got her in the mail a few hours before. Getting ready to go down there soon and try some food again. I’m going have to move her to a new tank to treat with antibiotics so I don’t kill the live rock she’s with now.

Have you tried feeding it yet? If it eats I would just keep an eye on it. I had a purple tang get its mouth wacked by a powerhead and it looked similar. It was gone after a couple of days without meds.

OP
OP
TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they only had a single use of the methyl blue. Here’s what I’m working with. Going to start with the two part blue/green bath and move her to the new tank for treatment. Need to set it up today. I’m going to have to use a live rock from my tank since I have no Seeded sponges or anything.
795B877B-2BD7-4877-84EA-4413E855F906.jpeg

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have very little experience in this, but I honestly would just monitor the fish daily and see if it heals over time. I'd keep those receipts and if it's lip looks worse start using them, if not get your money back or have that for future issues. It may take a while for it to start feeding also, I had to go to my LFS to figure out what they were feeding my clowns. After a couple days they started eating everything.

OP
OP
TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have very little experience in this, but I honestly would just monitor the fish daily and see if it heals over time. I'd keep those receipts and if it's lip looks worse start using them, if not get your money back or have that for future issues. It may take a while for it to start feeding also, I had to go to my LFS to figure out what they were feeding my clowns. After a couple days they started eating everything.

48 hours in my care and still not eating. She’s rejected rods, super eggs, brine, Mysis and pellets so far. Going to have to do a water change soon to get out all the uneaten food. She stays at the top of the tank and swims towards me like she knows I will feed her but doesn’t even look at the food.

edit; her mouth is showing improvement but not sure for how long since she won’t eat. Luckily she appears healthy otherwise.

MattR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TriggerFinger Since the clown is new its very common that it does not eat immediately! It may be as simple as the clown doesn't recognize it as food (maybe they fed something else completely different at Live aquaria!). If you keep adding all sorts of food at once or even multiple times a day you're not doing anything besides adding ammonia (creating more stress on the fish which may also reduce its feeding response). Clowns go can a lot longer than you think without food so my suggestion would be not introducing food for at least another 24-48 hours. A HEALTHY FISH WILL ALWAYS ACCEPT FOOD BUT A STRESSED ONE MAY NOT. I am no expert but this has worked for me in the passed. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @MattR. my last one didn’t eat for a week and he came from a local store 30 mins away. I’m a mom...it stresses me out when the babies don’t eat; human, fish or dog! She’s in an established tank with ocean live rock so the bio filter should be taking care of the ammonia. And I’m not dumping in loads of food, very small bits a couple times a day. Will hold off until Sunday morning and see how she is then. Thanks again!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back