Buddy found new fish in his tank. New never before captive breed or hybrid?

OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Any new updates on this?
Yep. I just stopped by today and took pics and videos.

They are 1.5 months old now.

They don’t swim or act like clowns at all.

Attachments

• IMG_9100.jpeg
    IMG_9100.jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_9098.jpeg
    IMG_9098.jpeg
    243.2 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_9097.jpeg
    IMG_9097.jpeg
    239.4 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_9096.jpeg
    IMG_9096.jpeg
    245.2 KB · Views: 131

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video if it will work.
Yeah, those aren’t clowns. I don’t think they are cardinalfish either. Anthias have been raised in captivity, but I’ve never done it. Reports are they are tough and require copepod nauplii.
I’ve had reports where fish “showed up” in tanks, after arriving there as eggs attached to live tock or algae. Any chance of that happening here?

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There has certainly been a lot of missing information and misinformation around this post.

He mentions that the larvae were collected from the tank 3 weeks ago as tiny specs. This tells us that the larvae had to be from a benthic spawning species, such as clownfish. Anthias acting weird that night when they are normally sleeping, they are feasting on the baby clownfish that are hatching. Natural zooplankton! Anthias and wrasse produce palegic eggs, which get eaten and filtered out, palegic eggs do not have a chance to hatch in reef tanks.

They collected a handful of the mystery larvae (which are definitely clownfish) to raise in a larval tank. Assuming they raised the fry on rotifers and brine, which would not work on any other species he has in the tank. Only the clownfish would do well on that larval diet. It's likely the rotifers are not being gut loaded prior to feeding, so nutrition is likely not the best for the clownfish larvae. This will result in delayed growth and metamorphosis. These should have their head stripes in the next few days to a week if they are eating TDO B2 pellets.
Sup

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still think it’s clownfish. I don’t know how it could realistically be anything else. I agree with what Chad said, lots of back and forth/ missing information that has slowly trickled out.

OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Yeah, those aren’t clowns. I don’t think they are cardinalfish either. Anthias have been raised in captivity, but I’ve never done it. Reports are they are tough and require copepod nauplii.
I’ve had reports where fish “showed up” in tanks, after arriving there as eggs attached to live tock or algae. Any chance of that happening here?
He hasn’t added anything except dry rock today.

From watching them swim, I get big wrasse vibes. Could be an anthia?

He is going to transfer it to a tank where it’s not blacked out on the sides so will get better video of them swimming sometime soon.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He hasn’t added anything except dry rock today.

From watching them swim, I get big wrasse vibes. Could be an anthia?

He is going to transfer it to a tank where it’s not blacked out on the sides so will get better video of them swimming sometime soon.
I can’t think of any wrasse that have been raised in captivity except tuskfish.

Even clownfish are almost impossible to raise incidentally (and without rotifers). In 1985 I raised three skunk clowns by feeding them “algae squeezings” from other tanks, but it was a lot of work.

Killifish are pretty commonly seen showing up in tanks from eggs, but again, only if things like rock or chaeto was added to the tank from a system that had that species.
Since that wasn’t the case here, I don’t know what these are…..

OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
I can’t think of any wrasse that have been raised in captivity except tuskfish.

Even clownfish are almost impossible to raise incidentally (and without rotifers). In 1985 I raised three skunk clowns by feeding them “algae squeezings” from other tanks, but it was a lot of work.

Killifish are pretty commonly seen showing up in tanks from eggs, but again, only if things like rock or chaeto was added to the tank from a system that had that species.
Since that wasn’t the case here, I don’t know what these are…..
I don’t either. Hopefully in a month or two when they get bigger, and once they are in a tank you can see them swim from a side view, it’ll be easier to figure out

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 67 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back