Budget Beginnings

Mocking up the height and placement of my new-to-me Radion XR15 G4s using cut out shipping boxes before mounting brackets in the wall. The boxes sit on top of my solid acrylic lid. I'm doing a floating shelf type of mount so no brackets or cables show from the front.
049f6efa-dd8e-4b22-80f1-4194998a9898.jpg
4f833752-e1cc-4f8c-a982-09ec338a42ab.jpg
89c6e9cb-7d18-440c-b370-1a30f2b278fb.jpg
 
Mocking up the height and placement of my new-to-me Radion XR15 G4s using cut out shipping boxes before mounting brackets in the wall. The boxes sit on top of my solid acrylic lid. I'm doing a floating shelf type of mount so no brackets or cables show from the front.
049f6efa-dd8e-4b22-80f1-4194998a9898.jpg
4f833752-e1cc-4f8c-a982-09ec338a42ab.jpg
89c6e9cb-7d18-440c-b370-1a30f2b278fb.jpg
Cool way to do a mockup!
 
Shades are on the Radions. 😎
4f918c87-07c6-473f-8ad1-367d6381bf5c.jpg

Haven't posted parameters in a minute. Here's from last week. Phosphate wars continue. Everything else is pretty stable:

Friday, Sep 4, 2026

● Dosing 10.0 ml/day AFR starting 7/28/2026. New batch AFR starts 7/3/2026.
● Tests are post-today's AFR dosing.
● Phosphate, nitrate tested before a.m. feeding.

○ Ca: 470 ppm (+10/14d)
(target: 400-450 ppm)
per Salifert titration
○ Alk: 9.6 dKH (nc/14d)
(target: 8-12 dkH)
per Salifert titration
○ Mg: 1,380 ppm (+60/14d)
(target: 1,250-1,400 ppm)
per Salifert titration
* Stay with 10.0 ml/d AFR.
○ pH: 8.2
(target: 8.1-8.4)
per API colorimetric
○ Salinity: 1.0256 SpG/ 34.7 ppt
(target: 35 ppt)
per TropicMarin hydrometer
○ Temperature: 80.2°F
(target: 73-84°F)
per ThermPro
digital meat therm.
○ Nitrate: 47.2 ppm (-6.7/14d)
(target: 5-50 ppm*)
per Hanna HR Checker
○ Phosphate: 0.47 ppm (-0.21/10d)
(target: 0.06-0.3 ppm*)
per Hanna ULR Checker
* Re-test phosphate on 9/8/2026.

Had some cyano or red algae on a rock.
169eeb49-ea02-49ba-b789-9d196ee52eec.jpg

My Pencil Urchin found this patch last night and seems to be taking care of it without further intervention on my part.
5f2744ba-d5c5-487f-9b91-9324f8007f06.jpg

Here is my AWC performance stability over August. I think that piece is good to go for an extended vacation:
a05cbcdb-eb32-4a39-a9f9-4bf7af6c11db.jpg

I just need a tiny UPS to prevent time reset when the power flickers. It only needs to last a few seconds without grid power before the whole-house generator kicks in.
 
Last edited:
For anyone interested in details regarding how I mounted the Radions:

My tank backs against a wall, the other side of which is a small hall closet. I used 16" HD "L"-shaped shelf brackets. After laying out the location in pencil on the wall, I first drilled a 3/16" pilot hole such that the center distance from the bracket top would land the top of the subsequent 5/8" hole needed (to pass the power cable connector for the light through) tangent to the top of the bracket. This would hide about half the finished hole diameter with the thickness of the bracket filling part of that hole. I used a 6" long 3/16" bit for the pilot hole. Being sure to keep the drill square to the wall, I was able to locate the bracket slot on the opposing (closet side) drywall using the pilot hole. I cut a precision slot in the drywall using a utility knife from the tank side. The idea was to pass the power cable through the hole in the wall before installing the bracket, making the rather large hole needed as inconspicuous as possible and running the wire under the bracket.
8073f032-d81a-4189-9a74-1fbbd541f525.jpg


5911dbb8-848f-4344-a97a-507984047320.jpg

I was less meticulous cutting the slots on the closet side, allowing the brackets to float in any direction to achieve level while constraining location using the more precision tank-side slots. After running the wires, I sent the brackets from closet-side out, positioning the wall mounting arm of the bracket upward, to keep it away from the wire. After leveling the brackets in two axes on the outside, I blocked them in place so I could mark mounting hole locations on the closet-side drywall. Then I removed the brackets and installed drywall inserts for the screws, reinstalled the brackets and installed the screws. I used a smaller diameter screw than the holes allow for, so I could get a few degrees of bracket rotation for leveling the brackets before tightening.
763b39f8-4a26-453e-954d-a24945f833a2.jpg

The line shown on the closet wall was for planning and as a sanity check. It is imprecise at best.
On the tank side, I used stainless steel hardware to mount the lights to the brackets, then detail brush-painted the exposed hardware with flat black enamel paint. I used black nylon zip ties to hold the wires to the underside of the brackets between the fixtures and the wall.
ed94f306-9c38-4dc3-a6f0-b0ffb69eed3b.jpg

Here is the end result:
8a45f8c0-3f60-4f73-9018-6086590bfdce.jpg


15b94870-5350-4794-8dd0-10bde01aa258.jpg


89669b0d-3fb1-41c9-ad12-a7031f39d7ef.jpg

I tidied-up the closet side wires and mounted the power bricks using hook-and-loop straps:
a9ce2579-fd39-4dc8-921a-76849dc39929.jpg


d1c1f976-8982-465c-a051-7eff390b2107.jpg

I drilled another hole closer to the floor through both wall faces and passed the 120v supply through to the inside of the tank stand, where they are plugged in.
572d445b-03df-47a6-a2db-a05255196811.jpg

(The tubing and wires seen to the rear of the power cord through-hole are for the AWC and run under the house to the mixing station. My wife thinks that's her laundry room).
Thanks for reading!
 
Last edited:
Looks pretty slick. Congrats on the new lighting.
Thank you! Radions are out of my reach financially, but I got these used G4s two generations behind current G6s and for a fire sale price. Could not pass this up.
 
Last edited:
I was given a Monti cap frag on Nov 12, 2025. Newly mounted, it looked like this:
51c2f9e7-7627-4323-9288-803be9bb2ce0.jpg

After some minimal initial encrusting growth, by Feb 13, 2026 it developed what appeared to me to be an algae coating. I was advised that it is highly unusual for this to happen on a living specimen, so was repared for the worst:
93697328-d667-4f88-8998-ebc41d78fe92.jpg
afbada46-da36-4e47-91d2-19336a99c637.jpg

Here is how it looks as of Sep 20. 2026:
b02ad4ce-2b25-4f4f-b5f7-6217b58e93a4.jpg
0f272bb4-3493-4c47-9914-298a53c42214.jpg
 
I succumbed yesterday to an impulse purchase. It was my wife's impulse, and I rarely override those. We bought a chunk of Favia we both liked. It is muted gray and light blue in white light and kind of a wintergreen or mint with light blue eyes in evening blue light. This pic is from last night as the lights were starting to fade. After KCl dip/ rinse / H₂O₂ dip/ rinse, I placed it on edge in the tank front corner until I figure out what to do with it longer term. I'd love to lay it flat in the sand bed, but my Neon Dottyback will have it buried in sand in short order, I fear. Do you think this on-edge placement will allow adequate food capture? I may just leave it here.
4833b539-4ce4-4181-ae19-642a75bc1462.jpg
 
October 1, 2026 FTS, 9:00 A.M., lights are ramping up, corals just starting to open:
2504f8d6-0f8e-42b3-9913-e43d18580d27.jpg
New Favia is in lower right corner.
 
Last edited:

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 20.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 19 27.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 13.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new