BUDGET LED HELP

CaliReef24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am new to any reef forum and apologize in advanced if anyone has asked this in the past. I recently adopted a 24g JBJ nano off a friend that got too busy for it. He talked about flushing the fish and throwing it away. Being the impulsive/animal loving person that I am I slapped him a few times (in my head) and told him I would take it off his hands. This is my first time ever owning a salt water tank (have 2 fresh water) and I am learning new things every day and have been doing lots of reaserch watching videos reading etc. Long story short, tank was in horrible shape and the light fixture didnt work. Had an electrician buddy of mine take a look at it and he sid it was done. At the moment I didnt have the money to throw at a nice programable light so I went with an amazon light called HIPARGERO that I found for 60 dollars. I gutted the hood and made a rectangle cut out at the top where I placed the light. I will attatch a pic of the LED layout. The light has only 2 touch buttons. One controls the blues which has 10 modes. 10 being the most intense and 1 being the least. The other button controls the whites.

My question is, if I had to run this light using the same concept of a t5 which is not programable either (just has on/off modes), at what intensity of blue/white should I run it and for what period of time? The light would be on a timer.

There is no coral in the tank at the moment. The coral my fried attempted to keep died on him. There is however: 2 snowflake clowns. 1 purple dottyback. 1 yellow tail damsel. 1 velvet neon damsel I believe is the name, 1 coral banded shrimp. And about 3 turbos, 4 nassarius snails and about 10 hermits I bought to clean up the tank a bit.

I truly appreciate any help.

51mXstFOMhL._AC_SL1500_.jpg 61EVxv-eDGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

OP
OP
CaliReef24

CaliReef24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone re-direct me to where I can post this and get a reply?

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard good stuff about this light. I beleive that the lights run at 3 different brightness. I would run it on the highest blue and lowest white. And my photo period is 10 am to 11 pm I've seen it used on 10g tanks I'm not sure how it will do on your tank. I'll let someone else chime in

OP
OP
CaliReef24

CaliReef24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard good stuff about this light. I beleive that the lights run at 3 different brightness. I would run it on the highest blue and lowest white. And my photo period is 10 am to 11 pm I've seen it used on 10g tanks I'm not sure how it will do on your tank. I'll let someone else chime in

Thank you for your reply Jake I will try your schedule. Hope it works out for me, eventually I will upgrade when I have the funds, just hope it works for the time being.

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply Jake I will try your schedule. Hope it works out for me, eventually I will upgrade when I have the funds, just hope it works for the time being.
My schedule includes one hour ramp up in the morning and one hour at night which means my lights arent technically fully up and running until 11am and starting to shut off at 10pm

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back