Budget Reefing

MickoftheSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to build a 20g long in the future and now I am looking to make a list of all the equipment I need. But as a new reefer, I do need help. Here is a list of everything I am looking at currently and still need to find. Any help will be appreciated

Tank: Aqueon 20 long
Heater: Kasanmu 100w heater
Light: Aquakight
Filter: Aquaclear 50
Temp controller: NICREW
Powerhead:????
ATO:???

I would like recommendations for powerheads and a cheaper ATO. The powerheads I look at seem way to powerful and the ATOs I look at seem way to expensive. I know it is an expensive hobby but I want to get into what I call "Brokeman Reefing".

Corey Monster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to build a 20g long in the future and now I am looking to make a list of all the equipment I need. But as a new reefer, I do need help. Here is a list of everything I am looking at currently and still need to find. Any help will be appreciated

I would like recommendations for powerheads and a cheaper ATO. The powerheads I look at seem way to powerful and the ATOs I look at seem way to expensive. I know it is an expensive hobby but I want to get into what I call "Brokeman Reefing".

I'm building something similar for my son's first reef tank.

Heater: EHEIM JAGER TRUTEMP 75w
Light: 2 Aquakight with wall timer
Filter: Aquaclear 70 with chemi pure blue
Temp controller: ink bird AQUARIUM HEATER CONTROLLER
Powerhead: Jebao SCP-70 or the new Jebao SLW
ATO: I don't know yet

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to go cheap as well, although it usually ends in regret. Currently I'm very happy with my Tunze 3152 osmolator, which I got for $35 second hand. Nothing fancy and does what it does.

As for powerheads I'm currently pretty happy with the Ecodrifts from Aquamedic. Not very expensive, mostly quiet and quite a few different options to play around with. The danger with cheap powerheads is that they're noisy. The even cheaper Jecods are very hit or miss for me. Sometimes they are great and dead silent, sometimes they're absolutely worthless.

Jrswish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t like to skimp on powerheads honestly. I tried Jebao but they all spark when plugging in, i just sucked it up and got mp10s

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
powerhead: check out the Jebao SLW series, awesome pumps that won't hurt the wallet.
You'll probably need 2 Aquaknights for a 20 gallon, I have one each on a 10 gallon and a fluval flex 15 and it won't cover enough area for a 20 long.
ATO: check out the Auto Aqua Smart ATO Lite on amazon. Can't beat an ATO for less than $70

OP
OP
MickoftheSea

MickoftheSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
powerhead: check out the Jebao SLW series, awesome pumps that won't hurt the wallet.
You'll probably need 2 Aquaknights for a 20 gallon, I have one each on a 10 gallon and a fluval flex 15 and it won't cover enough area for a 20 long.
ATO: check out the Auto Aqua Smart ATO Lite on amazon. Can't beat an ATO for less than $70

I think I am going to stick to one Aquaknight for right now, then when I am ready for Coral I will pick a second one up. Do yall think I will be good with one powerhead or 2?

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am going to stick to one Aquaknight for right now, then when I am ready for Coral I will pick a second one up. Do yall think I will be good with one powerhead or 2?
2 would be ideal especially if you go with the Jebao SLW's (you can have them alternate the flow for a nice wave motion or just varied flow) but if you go for just one then go for the next size up. It's easy to turn the flow down, but you can't go any higher than 100% power. For the Aquaknight, if you're using a normal 20 long you'll need to trim the plastic rim for it to fit right. You don't have to remove the trim though, just cut off the inner lip that a glass top would normally be sitting on.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
or you can get a piece of acrylic the same thickness as the lip to make it work. Just don't use a material that will absorb water like wood, cause that'll end up cracking the tank

Check out "Inappropriate Reefer" on YouTube, his "$146 nano reef build" series helped out a lot when I was setting up my first tank. That's were I first saw the Aquaknight in all it's $65 glory haha

Tim McLellan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 5 months in on a 55g and have yet to feel the need for an ATO. I just keep an eye on the water level and add a small amount of fresh as needed. I do have a lid and don't see much evaporation, so maybe 1/4 to 1/2 gallon a couple times a week. Such an easy task, I just can't see making that kind of expenditure to automate it.

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

On my budget tank, I use a plastic thing you put on the rim of your tank with a pet bottle attached. It works well and is way cheaper than a traditional ATO

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One reason for this hobby being expensive is that the average aquarium is overstocked. All that life crammed into so little space is going to require an expensive and complicated water treatment plant.

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning a budget 20 long, really budgeted to the max. Hard to go on a budget and want high tech.

same Aqueon 20g long of course
Aqueon pro 100w heater and thermometer with a magnet
2 ac110 fuges
2 koralia nano 240s
Manual top offs cuz I’m cheap and it’s not that much work

Lighting is the tricky part to budget, but being a shallow tank just about anything should work depending on what you want to have in the tank. I’d probably blow the budget on lighting display and fuges. But I decided to skip on this build and go for a 33g long.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Jebao MLW-5 would be perfect. One for LPS and softies, maybe 2 if you plan on SPS.

I have the "upside down bottle" ATO on a smaller countertop tank It works great. I have an AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro on a larger tank, it also works very well.

A 30" long tank will be difficult to cover with a single light unless you plan on mounting it super high and light up the entire room. Two smaller lights spaced out will provide much better coverage than a single larger one.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my budget tank, I use a plastic thing you put on the rim of your tank with a pet bottle attached. It works well and is way cheaper than a traditional ATO
I use one of these for my 65, it sits in the sump and I refill it once a week. No chance of flooding and with the amount of water it holds if it all drained in at once it wouldn't be catastrophic.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe i live in strange part of the world, or maybe i'm more of diy guy than rest...but.... Ato cost me around 5$....

All u need is half hour of your time, some wires, 2 float switch, some scrap plastic, relay, and some other stuff that everybody have in house, and u make your own not fancy but working ato...

I build mine 15 years ago and it still working, better than any that i purchased along the way...

If you are in budget, more diy, less buying ;)

There's always cheap alternatives, some of greatest reefs i seen in life (not counting on internet) was running 5$ chinese "newer heard of" wavemakers, diy 3w lights......

I have jebao pumps for years, powerheads, wavemakers, maybe not best quality and look, but they work, until they dont, but its cheap to replace them... ;)

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I posted a couple pics. Total cost 9 bucks. You could get a better container. Lol I've got 4 of these and they've been in service for up to four years on the oldest. Works great. Mine is siphon but you can hook your RODI directly to it. Good luck.

Attachments

• 20211012_160610.jpg
    20211012_160610.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 20211012_160603.jpg
    20211012_160603.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 28

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted a couple pics. Total cost 9 bucks. You could get a better container. Lol I've got 4 of these and they've been in service for up to four years on the oldest. Works great. Mine is siphon but you can hook your RODI directly to it. Good luck.
Brokeman Reefing is great. Once you get it built the brokeman method is very beneficial. Instead of going out and just buying everything you always wanted the brokeman method causes careful selection and slow controlled addition of new animals. It also inspires innovation. See something that works and build your own. Copy it. Lol. I'll bet your tank will be great.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao wavemakers and DIY ATOs will fill your two missing spots.

Store bought ATOs are some of the most over priced items in the hobby, right up there with skimmers and sumps.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of the aquakight (which aren’t bad lights - also difficult to find in the US), I would get the 75w Noopsyche V3. You can usually find them on sale (they post discount codes here all the time). For power heads I would get a couple Jebao SLW20s.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of the aquakight (which aren’t bad lights - also difficult to find in the US), I would get the 75w Noopsyche V3. You can usually find them on sale (they post discount codes here all the time). For power heads I would get a couple Jebao SLW20s.
The aquaknights are always available on Amazon, and you'd have to have a pretty good discount code for a Noopsyche as they're $110 more than an aquaknight. That's almost 3 aquaknights for 1 Noopsyche! ;Writing

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 12.5%
Back