Build a DIY auto filter (Rollermat) for $60!

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did get a few rolls of the paper on ebay that is labelled as "coolant" paper.. 50 microns.. the 24" roller i was able to put to the saw and it did a nice job of reducing it to my needed 22" ... the acrylic rods just above the plates i have to find a way to allow them to be removable so the bottom plates can be removed and cleaned.. Right now the are wedged in place.. once wet not sure if will hold.. i am thinking about adding magnets to each of them... with if strong enough would be great. Would give the ability to move slightly in the event need to use other filter media such as some felt which is thicker. The size of the boxes might be a bit of over kill if using only coolant paper.. the roll of felt pretty much takes up the whole box... as a reference.. that spool on there of coolant filter paper, 50 microns... is 100 yards.

by the way.. the plates i used to support the filter paper.. is the old tops that came with this sump .. sump is an original Nova sump from 15 years ago!! was used in a local store that closed back in 2001. I drilled for hours hole after hole... but think it will work nicely.. fingers crossed...

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wide pic.. glass box in center will accept the two 2" incoming drains from above.... hoping the flow is reduced... water is dropping down from first floor to basement. its actually enough to almost running a skimmer with out a pump.

Sump Mod Roller Matt wide .JPG

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
excuse the mess.. but you get the idea of the amount of micro bubbles the drains are producing without the pre-sump (the NOVA box) . The smell is nuts... Wife just a tad upset.. but use to this stuff over past 25 years..

Temp Drains in Sump.JPG

Jwey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks really good.
Can you give some info on the motor your using?
I was looking at the
uxcell
DC 12V 15RPM 6mm Shaft High Torque Turbine Worm Geared Motor with a 15 RPM on Amazon.

I am not sure what RPM is needed.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go. Motor has ability to slow down.. more torque .. and go in reverse to unwind if necesary.. easier to remove the used matrial.. no need to cut or take a part the motor connection the pull side.

Roller Matt Motor.JPG

Roller Matt Motor.JPG

Roller Motor Housing.JPG

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok.. so help me out with some ideas.. here are some pics of the unit. now installed.
First issue.. the matt material is too heavy with water for the pump to pull it.
I am tinkering with that.
Second.
The water coming out of the box is so strong when it hits the Matt is almost like washing away what it in the mat.. if you look its like the perimeter of the Matt material... the felt has a white spot in the middle with brown around the edges.. I am looking at putting more of a tray like drip instead of the drip plate.. that way the tank water is not washing off to the sides.
Another thought i had was to install like a diffuser type of plate just below the water box and or in other words just above the felt. This would maybe reduce the water force coming down on the felt.

any other ideas.. welcome please.. thanks

Roller with only one side.JPG

Drain Water Strong Roller.JPG

Jwey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic drip plate above the filter should stop the washout or maybe tee the water outlet so it’s not all coming out one big line?

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There actual two drains in that box.. cant tee if further. will see how the drip plagte works. This project is going way beyond what the time i thought it would take.. i had to modify my sump and drains. anyways.. hoping this helps.. i still have my filter socks going and they seem to be catching the same amount of grunge... so right now.. not much of a benefit.. Which i believe is because of the washing away to the side of the flow... will spend some time make a sides for the drip tray...

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok.. so this is getting more complicated.. i am adjusting things.. i need a good line on the felt or some good paper.. any links please provide.. thanks

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick thought. Do you really need it to hit the mat, or can you have the return water fill a reservoir and just flow through the mat? More like dragging the mat through the water than pouring water on the mat.

I'm envisioning that area where it's splashing fill up with a few inches of water to slow down the impact and have a return behind the mat on the left there.

Another (possibly dumb) idea on your weight issue. Instead of using a motor to re-spool the paper, why not have it pile up in a bucket or something and let gravity help? Two pipes with their own motors squeezing/pulling the paper between the two. Just like a pasta roller. That would also squeeze excess water out. The weight from the used portion hanging down would help the whole thing keep moving as it slowly folded over itself into a container.

Ellery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok.. so this is getting more complicated.. i am adjusting things.. i need a good line on the felt or some good paper.. any links please provide.. thanks
I've been using an alternative filter paper vs the original felt for the Theiling roller. The reason is exactly as you are noticing since it is getting too waterlogged for the motor to spin reliably.

I used a vendor I found on Ebay that cut the rolls exactly to match the oem spools and is twice the length.

So far it's been lasting me more than 4 months at a time using 100micron filter paper.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok llets talk about those rolls.. i got some off of ebay.. here is the issue.. paper worked ok except.. made me light head and kinda sick .. the paper used as "coolant paper" has formaldehyde in it. The skimmer foaming like crazy .. like when using prazi pro... I am working with a company overseas to get me paper that is used in these roller mats.. but to our larger sizes need.. the shipping and customs is the killer..

right now i am trying to get something in areaa of 22 inches long.. 250 yards.. of it.. will post back shortly..

additional update.. even with the paper.. I noticed my filter socks are still catching left overs... ohh well.

Ellery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok llets talk about those rolls.. i got some off of ebay.. here is the issue.. paper worked ok except.. made me light head and kinda sick .. the paper used as "coolant paper" has formaldehyde in it. The skimmer foaming like crazy .. like when using prazi pro... I am working with a company overseas to get me paper that is used in these roller mats.. but to our larger sizes need.. the shipping and customs is the killer..

right now i am trying to get something in areaa of 22 inches long.. 250 yards.. of it.. will post back shortly..

additional update.. even with the paper.. I noticed my filter socks are still catching left overs... ohh well.
Hmm interesting. I haven`t observed that with mine. I'll definitely keep an eye out.
Normally if there was something my 2 skimmers would have reacted fairly quickly.
Good to know...if you do find another source please post. I've found other vendor but getting them to custom cut to size on such a small order was tough.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did a bit of redisign.. will post pics in a bit.. on the skimming and other issues

it skims a lot at the beginning... I do go through one roll no problem came in a 19 inch length.. the other roll the second one that i felt a little bit sick and did the foaming was originally like 28 inches i cut down with a miter saw to 22 inches.. NOTE .. when i start the roll a few yards go throught the plates and the water and so bit of paper gets wets and flows into the sump... maybe it was just overload... Ellery.. you using collant paper?

Ellery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chicago,

The vendor I bought my filter media from was called Precision Converting LLC
http://www.precisionconverting.com/applications/filtration-media
I worked with a sales guys named Ken and Steven Smith ([email protected]) last October 2017 for my order.
I told them I was looking for an alternative for my application with a reef tank that needed materials to be food grade.
I told them if it works it would open up a new small niche market for them so they were willing to help me with a few samples to test.
If my material had formaldehyde in it I would have had major issues when I tested the samples a year ago.
I'm not sure if they will remember me but you can bring up my name if it helps at all with jogging their memory. I know they have been recently acquired by another company though.

Here's the specifications I gave them to fit my Theiling Rollermat on my custom order which is twice the length of material per roll at the same price as the oem. The only thing is there was a minimum order of 4 rolls which isn't bad.

>> > Here were the specifications:
>> > 1. Core Size = 3"
>> > 2. Roll Width = 6 3/16"
>> > 3. Roll Length = Originally 150 ft but wondering if that can be doubled
>> > to
>> > 300 ft
>> > 4. Material = PreCon 100 micron (<- 50 and 80 micron pores sizes I tested clogged up too quickly for me and normal filter socks are 200 micron) I tested these materials for months to get the best life.

Ellery

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great info.. thanks alot..
Last question.. ok probably not the last.. but was the paper you used food grade and what micron size did you end up going with. I agree the 50 clogged up really quick. but i did notice after half the roll was used it maybe reduced clog time by 50%...

Ellery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up choosing the Precon100 100 micron pore size. I have these 200 micron mesh socks from BRS and even those clog up with in a week vs the felt socks which only last every 3 days or so but do polish the water better.

If I end up getting the new Klir 4" drop in roller filter for my 2nd sump I may email these guys to make custom rolls for that too. But the smallest core size available is 3".

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up choosing the Precon100 100 micron pore size. I have these 200 micron mesh socks from BRS and even those clog up with in a week vs the felt socks which only last every 3 days or so but do polish the water better.

If I end up getting the new Klir 4" drop in roller filter for my 2nd sump I may email these guys to make custom rolls for that too. But the smallest core size available is 3".

Why not just buy the rolls from Klir?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back