OP
OP
T

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rocks are in, water still needs to clear a bit before I turn the whole system back on.

there will be more rock when I shut down the other tanks and move them in but this is the new stuff

Attachments

• 860F4E07-6AD3-4405-AB30-6454A42B001D.jpeg
    860F4E07-6AD3-4405-AB30-6454A42B001D.jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 81
OP
OP
T

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up and running for a week now, cycled with rock and filter media from another tank, half black angel, filefish and a two spot blenny from that tank have been moved over.

lights are still on our reef tank, so those will only come when it’s time to move our corals, in the meantime using the old tank that these fish came from as a quarantine for some new fish that are incoming. So now I am keeping track of three tanks when the goal was to get down to one! :)

Attachments

• 546EE23E-4748-445F-9924-9C5B01DCD974.jpeg
    546EE23E-4748-445F-9924-9C5B01DCD974.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 61
  • ACBEB197-3EA2-400D-B7C8-6D27FC483965.jpeg
    ACBEB197-3EA2-400D-B7C8-6D27FC483965.jpeg
    170.2 KB · Views: 61
OP
OP
T

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pending items - I have an inkbird w/ two eheim glass heaters that I am going to put in in place of the Finnex. ATO setup also TBD when I decide on one. I also have a check valve incoming for an issue observed with the return line siphoning

OP
OP
T

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update, inkbird is installed, I have settled on an AI Prime to complement the one from the tank I am shutting down, so I'll have two over the tank, will post pictures shortly.

Residents of the tank now include:
- Tahitian Butterfly
- Half Black Angel
- Cleaner Wrasse
- Biota "Aiptasia Eating" Filefish
- Tail Spot Blenny

Inverts:
- Various and sundry snails
- One enterprising emerald crab, who was the canary in the coal mine while cycling
- A pistol shrimp, who appears to have devoured my firefish. It is hardly his fault, the firefish was tiny and decided to use the pistol shrimp's den as his hidey-hole. Not sure what I could've done about that one...

Putting some notes in here about fish behavior, because I've got some that I couldn't find info on before:

- I put "aiptasia eating" in quotes for the Filefish because that has yet to be shown...because as an experiment I put a rock infested with aiptasia in my beautiful new tank yesterday:

1633049936670.png

And the Filefish didn't even get close before the Butterfly annihilated them. I mean, I would be hard pressed to tell you aiptasia had ever been on the rock, in < 24 hours.

Other interesting thing - I have done a test run with these fish of some cheap corals - Clove Polyp and GSP. They are in the tank and remain unmolested by the angel, butterfly or filefish. It's either too early to declare victory or I've drawn an inside straight with these fish. Either way, I was deeply concerned that my desire to have a reef tank would not mesh with my son's undying love for the Tahitian Butterflyfish, so far so good.

Other experiences: received and am returning a RedSea gyre pump, after even at 10% power it turned my tank into a dust storm.

Also, while I love Purigen I am now swearing off the pre-packaged bags of them. I talk myself into them over and over, because they are the only thing available in the LFS, and I swear every single one I've ever bought leaks those tiny beads into my tank.

Lastly, can't speak highly enough of a test I did with PNS ProBio the other day. I observed a precipitous nitrate drop in the tank after putting some in, which I was quite pleasantly surprised by.

Anyway, pictures coming tomorrow when the light is on.

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lastly, can't speak highly enough of a test I did with PNS ProBio the other day. I observed a precipitous nitrate drop in the tank after putting some in, which I was quite pleasantly surprised by.
Nice! How long after the initial dosing did you start to see a reduction in NO3? And how much of a reduction?

Bluereefer4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking the Innovative Marine MightyJet XL? Too much power or running it at the lowest setting ( 1,062 GPH at 40%) is good?

I got a good deal on the MJ XL pump for a similar sized tank (Waterbox 130.4) but am worries it may be too powerful.

Thanks!

OP
OP
T

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking the Innovative Marine MightyJet XL? Too much power or running it at the lowest setting ( 1,062 GPH at 40%) is good?

I got a good deal on the MJ XL pump for a similar sized tank (Waterbox 130.4) but am worries it may be too powerful.

Thanks!

I run it at the second lowest setting and it absolutely does not feel like too much flow for the tank, if anything I am considering turning it up a bit.

No complaints on the pump at all so far, running a bit over a month now.

OP
OP
T

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - I need to put some proper pics out there, but tank is up pretty much full up on fish with these in:

- Filefish
- Stripey
- Tahitian Butterfly
- Blue Damsel
- Yellow Boxfish*
- Half Black Angel
- Red Mandarin
- Court Jester Goby
- Tail Spot Blenny
- Cleaner Wrasse
- Yellow Tang

* next to the Boxfish for more info because there was a dearth of it when I was thinking of getting him: this boxfish was shipped to me, pre conditioned and quarantined (excellent job Ocean Devotion!). I am now deeply skeptical of horror stories about boxfish nuking tanks...he made it through shipping, acclimation into a busy tank, water changes, tank maintenance...yesterday I took out all the plumbing and cleaned it and he sat there and watched me do it (in fact he is staring at the back of my head right now because that's his thing I guess). No signs of trouble. At all. He was eating frozen food quite happily when I got him, but doesn't seem to like it anymore. Instead goes mostly for the Prime Reef herbivore flakes and the nori I hang in the tank. May someone love you like my boxfish loves garlic infused nori. Anyway, quite some time out and going strong.

Also, GET A STRIPEY THEY ARE AWESOME, why would you not want a silly zebra fish dancing for you every time you walk through the door. And I do mean zebra fish, they even have a mane like backfin they flare, it looks like someone started drawing a zebra and then decided they were better at making fish.

You may notice my array of non reef safe or 'with caution' creatures. Some notes on that, based on creatures I moved in from what is now my QT:

Immediately Eaten:
- Xenia
- Aiptasia

Targeted And Looking Unhappy About It:
- Clove Polyps
- Green Procillipora
- Purple Acropora

Mostly Ignored:
- Squamosa Clam
- Leather corals
- Candy Cane

Totally Ignored:
- Ricordaea Mushroom
- GSP
- Plating Montipora
- Encrusting Cyphestrea
- Rock Flower Anemonies

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, I don't answer for my spelling of coral names...

Other updates on the tank -

I am now running a Tunze 3155, it keeps up with a 100G tank in a dry climate nicely. I am now a total convert to having an ATO.

Just put in an Innovative Marine Wavelink powerhead, which I am also very happy with. Nice and quiet, and I have it fairly low because the boxfish does visibly get troubled by high flow.

OP
OP
T

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while since I posted. Here is the tank, successfully running as described for about 8 months now.

clam is happy, soft corals (I are starting to establish and spread. My quarter sized stripey has turned into a monster :)

Tank inhabitants
Six Line Wrasse
Biota Sapphire Damsel
Biota Filefish
Stripey (my centerpiece fish)
Royal Gramma
Cleaner Wrasse

Inverts of Note
Biota Clam
The two most greedy and fat cleaner shrimp in the world
Blood shrimp (the only one not too lazy to actually ACT like a cleaner shrimp)
Hawkwing Conch
An indestructible Pom Pom crab
An indestructible, never seen but only heard, pistol shrimp

Had some fatalities from my original critters unfortunately because something got into my tank in December, lost a few but the rest pulled through

I have incorporated a chaeto compartment into the sump using a cheap petco mesh breeder box and a chaetomaxx. That just went in today

Attachments

• 357827A7-86DB-4453-8EE7-FDBC0119A347.jpeg
    357827A7-86DB-4453-8EE7-FDBC0119A347.jpeg
    192.2 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
T

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PH balance overnight has improved significantly with an off hours chaetomax over some macro every Pm

Also, contemplating starting an “everyone should have a stripey” campaign

Attachments

• B2C2CB83-B65F-4F07-9B57-FB95C99395F8.jpeg
    B2C2CB83-B65F-4F07-9B57-FB95C99395F8.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 36

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back