Build thread!

ARBurke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting started on a build thread! My tank is three months old. Started with the current usa orbit marine LED. I would not suggest this light. I have since added a noopsyche k7 pro II and I hugely suggest this light to others!

20200521_221513.jpg
20200521_221521.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great light! Tell us more about your tank - what size is it? What type of filtration do you have? What is the goal for the tank (fish, coral, anemones, etc.)?

OP
OP
A

ARBurke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great light! Tell us more about your tank - what size is it? What type of filtration do you have? What is the goal for the tank (fish, coral, anemones, etc.)?

It's a 75 gallon standard aquarium with a 15 gallon euro-reef sump, skimmer, and gracilaria in the fuge. Planning a move in July where I'll be upgrading to the Eshopps 2nd-gen R-300 and hopefully setting up the display peninsula-style.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 75 gallon standard aquarium with a 15 gallon euro-reef sump, skimmer, and gracilaria in the fuge. Planning a move in July where I'll be upgrading to the Eshopps 2nd-gen R-300 and hopefully setting up the display peninsula-style.
What brand tank did you get and does it have the center support brace? Are you happy with that? Where did you buy the lights from? I am trying to understand, is it 2 boxes with one of them being a fan? Why did you pick this over others such as Prime 16? What do you plan to have in your tank?

OP
OP
A

ARBurke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand tank did you get and does it have the center support brace? Are you happy with that? Where did you buy the lights from? I am trying to understand, is it 2 boxes with one of them being a fan? Why did you pick this over others such as Prime 16? What do you plan to have in your tank?

It's a Marineland Majesty 75 gallon, check it out at the link below.

I was given a 14 year old 46 gallon bow-front aquarium with a broken brace in January 2019, and that was my introduction to reefing. The bow-front was fish-only for the first six months while I learned the basics, then I picked up some corals and a 36" Current USA Orbit Marine LED. I didnt know as much as I should have when making this initial $150 lighting investment, but I focused on the spread for my 36" tank. The tank looked great, but the corals weren't happy.

On February 14, 2020, that tank bust a seam. I was lucky enough to catch both the Presidents day sale and the valentines day sale that weekend and walked out with the $500 package for $215. After upgrading to the 75 gallon, four foot tank, the 36" Current USA LED didnt cut it visually. I had to upgrade, although I had wanted to for some time after realizing that my light didn't even give 150 par at 6" deep when sitting on the glass lid. For a couple of months, I sat with an AI Prime Reef in my cart on BulkReefSupply, growing closer and closer to committing to the purchase. After mounds of research, I felt really good about the Noopsyche k7 Pro II, and was able to order one through a US distributor. I saw an immediate improvement in my corals; within minutes they had all perked up. It's near identical to the ai Prime 32 and my max par is now in the 500s if I want it to be. I've decided to mount the noopsyche center-right and the Current USA next to it, so that there will be some overlap.

To answer the other questions:
The new tank has a center brace and I'm quite happy with it. It's far from my dream tank, and the 1/2 inch glass is more thin than I would prefer, but I absolutely love it for the price.
The light is one single unit with a fan built-in. I am in the process of building a canopy for my tank where the lights will hang 8" above the surface as I am not a fan of the glass lids. I previously had the strip-led sitting atop the glass lids, but I fashioned a temporary mount for the noopsyche when it first arrived. I have improved my temporary mount into a nice shelf since my last post, check it out! I included a mount for the strip-LED, but have decided to keep it on the glass lid for the time being.
20200525_180319.jpg
20200525_181856.jpg

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a Marineland Majesty 75 gallon, check it out at the link below.

I was given a 14 year old 46 gallon bow-front aquarium with a broken brace in January 2019, and that was my introduction to reefing. The bow-front was fish-only for the first six months while I learned the basics, then I picked up some corals and a 36" Current USA Orbit Marine LED. I didnt know as much as I should have when making this initial $150 lighting investment, but I focused on the spread for my 36" tank. The tank looked great, but the corals weren't happy.

On February 14, 2020, that tank bust a seam. I was lucky enough to catch both the Presidents day sale and the valentines day sale that weekend and walked out with the $500 package for $215. After upgrading to the 75 gallon, four foot tank, the 36" Current USA LED didnt cut it visually. I had to upgrade, although I had wanted to for some time after realizing that my light didn't even give 150 par at 6" deep when sitting on the glass lid. For a couple of months, I sat with an AI Prime Reef in my cart on BulkReefSupply, growing closer and closer to committing to the purchase. After mounds of research, I felt really good about the Noopsyche k7 Pro II, and was able to order one through a US distributor. I saw an immediate improvement in my corals; within minutes they had all perked up. It's near identical to the ai Prime 32 and my max par is now in the 500s if I want it to be. I've decided to mount the noopsyche center-right and the Current USA next to it, so that there will be some overlap.

To answer the other questions:
The new tank has a center brace and I'm quite happy with it. It's far from my dream tank, and the 1/2 inch glass is more thin than I would prefer, but I absolutely love it for the price.
The light is one single unit with a fan built-in. I am in the process of building a canopy for my tank where the lights will hang 8" above the surface as I am not a fan of the glass lids. I previously had the strip-led sitting atop the glass lids, but I fashioned a temporary mount for the noopsyche when it first arrived. I have improved my temporary mount into a nice shelf since my last post, check it out! I included a mount for the strip-LED, but have decided to keep it on the glass lid for the time being.
20200525_180319.jpg
20200525_181856.jpg

The Marineland package is on sale for $299 right now. Nice setup! It's so tempting to get one that big but it's more real estate than I want to tackle. Where did you purchase the lights?

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

ARBurke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noopsyche USA. Shoot them an email if they're sold out and they'll get them to you in no time

OP
OP
A

ARBurke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time!! I moved the tank and set her up peninsula style Working on building a canopy. Once it's complete, I'll be hanging a second noopsyche

20200719_120413.jpg

OP
OP
A

ARBurke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really hoping the xenia take over the fuge one day so I can take out the gracillaria. Itd be amazing to upgrade my skimmer. I got this skimmer rated for 70 gallons back when I had a 46 gallon. Now I'm pushing 100 gallons and I could use an upgrade!

20200729_000912.jpg 20200729_000934.jpg 20200729_000919.jpg

OP
OP
A

ARBurke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished building the canopy and the tank is looking pristine! Pictures to come down the line

OP
OP
A

ARBurke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass lids removed and strip LED mounted

Attachments

• 16091172783031626238323689300884.jpg
    16091172783031626238323689300884.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 50

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That looks good! Any concerns about fish jumping without a top? Have you considered a screen top?

OP
OP
A

ARBurke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks good! Any concerns about fish jumping without a top? Have you considered a screen top?

There are some small gaps that fish could fit through. I intend to fill those gaps with Styrofoam or neoprene if I have enough leftover

Back